User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SAO 1911 style sliding trigger.

Basically, it takes the single most desirable feature of the 1911, and then pairs it with CZ ergonomics/reliability/high cap mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel obtuse and can someone explain the benefits of this pistol?

I don't understand it at all. What does it do better than a TSO or a Shadow 2?

Basically, it takes the single most desirable feature of the 1911, and then pairs it with CZ ergonomics/reliability/high cap mags.
It also takes common and reasonably priced mags which compared to the STI/SVI is nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It also takes common and reasonably priced mags which compared to the STI/SVI is nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel obtuse and can someone explain the benefits of this pistol?

I don't understand it at all. What does it do better than a TSO or a Shadow 2?

And a thumb safety that's placed in a natural position unlike basically all CZ's. As a former 1911 disciple, all thumb safeties are inferior to the 1911 placement. This cures that, for me at least.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That's weird.  I ride the safety with my strong thumb on CZs and 1911s and don't really have a problem going back and forth.  The CZ lets me get a higher grip which I appreciate but that is due to a combination of things, not just the safety.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll take one please!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's weird.  I ride the safety with my strong thumb on CZs and 1911s and don't really have a problem going back and forth.  The CZ lets me get a higher grip which I appreciate but that is due to a combination of things, not just the safety.
View Quote
My fingers are also a bit short for my large hands, so the much further forward pivot of all CZ safeties causes me frustration. Even on extended ones.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And a thumb safety that's placed in a natural position unlike basically all CZ's. As a former 1911 disciple, all thumb safeties are inferior to the 1911 placement. This cures that, for me at least.
View Quote
I'd prefer they kept the CZ safety. A safety as close to the slide as the 1911 safety means winter gloves interfere with slide function.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My fingers are also a bit short for my large hands, so the much further forward pivot of all CZ safeties causes me frustration. Even on extended ones.
View Quote
Ahh, I don't actually "use" the safety on DA/SA CZs.  They are just a strong side thumb rest for my uses.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I think what excites me most about these guns isn’t so much specifically the guns themselves, but the general concept of a company grafting a 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls onto a double-stack frame that uses magazines from another popular pistol that the company already makes.

Imagine S&W, Sig, hell even Glock designing similar all-metal pistols that use the 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls, but feed from the double stack magazines from their popular striker-fired duty pistols. A double-stack 1911 that takes P320 mags would be absolutely irresistible to me
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think what excites me most about these guns isn’t so much specifically the guns themselves, but the general concept of a company grafting a 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls onto a double-stack frame that uses magazines from another popular pistol that the company already makes.

Imagine S&W, Sig, hell even Glock designing similar all-metal pistols that use the 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls, but feed from the double stack magazines from their popular striker-fired duty pistols. A double-stack 1911 that takes P320 mags would be absolutely irresistible to me
View Quote
It’s a very cool concept for sure.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold my STI Lawman (single stack .45), for a Shadow2 earlier this year.
I wanted the capacity of a 2011 in 9mm, with better ergonomics... but I didn’t want finicky magazines or the high price of a 2011. I have no need for a DA trigger and would have preferred a SAO.  The Shadow 2 checked the most boxes and gave me 90% of what I wanted for about the same price I sold my STI for.

This hybrid looks fu@#ing awesome. And with the 1911 trigger, it would have been 100% of what I was looking for.  I don’t know if I’ll sell my shadow 2, but I would have held off if I knew this was coming out.  Damn, what an awesome idea.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I know nothing about the 2011s.  Are they really that finicky?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
There certainly have been in the past. STI is saying that is no longer the case with the new models and new magazines but only time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got one coming in as soon as our dealer has them in stock.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I can certainly see one of the compact versions (no rail, alloy frame) in my future:

Superior 1911 safety
Superior 1911 trigger
Thin CZ grips
CZ mags

Lots of folks will like the lack of a grip safety as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There certainly have been in the past. STI is saying that is no longer the case with the new models and new magazines but only time will tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finicky or not the mags are insanely overpriced.  You can buy 4-5 CZ mags for the price of 1-2011 mag.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Want!

I hadn't seen this and will own one next year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Finicky or not the mags are insanely overpriced.  You can buy 4-5 CZ mags for the price of 1-2011 mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The CZ mags are only $12??  STI mags are $50 now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah a lot of guys still quoting the gen1 STI mag prices. They're $50 now and they work great with no tuning needed, which i can say from experience. P09 mags are certainly cheaper at $35-45 depending on the retailer, but the price difference is nothing to write home about. I'm hoping the P09 mags are plug and play and you don't need a special base pad.

Objectively I think the STI (Stacatto series) and DWX are pretty evenly matched all things considered. Exciting times.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah a lot of guys still quoting the gen1 STI mag prices. They're $50 now and they work great with no tuning needed, which i can say from experience. P09 mags are certainly cheaper at $35-45 depending on the retailer, but the price difference is nothing to write home about. I'm hoping the P09 mags are plug and play and you don't need a special base pad.

Objectively I think the STI (Stacatto series) and DWX are pretty evenly matched all things considered. Exciting times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did their homework. For someone who has a bunch of CZ mags it would be a no brainer. One thing I still don't understand is why these guys are building competition mags that need aftermarket basepads to really make the most of the 140mm rule. For a general use gun it's one thing but a built for Limited gun should come with 21 round mags ready to go. At the manufacturer level it would be so much cheaper and simpler. Even with the new STI mags being $50 people are still going to buy basepads and probably springs and followers. Now the total cost might be under $100
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Can't believe I'm just now finding out about this thing.  This gun looks fucking awesome.  $1,799 MSRP so it should be about $1,400-1,500 street price.  Dan Wesson makes phenomenal guns so I have no doubt this thing will be amazing.  Probably going to buy one eventually

The red grips remind me a lot of the FK BRNO
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I want that exact gun but with a single stack 1911 grip.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can't believe I'm just now finding out about this thing.  This gun looks fucking awesome.  $1,799 MSRP so it should be about $1,400-1,500 street price.  Dan Wesson makes phenomenal guns so I have no doubt this thing will be amazing.  Probably going to buy one eventually

https://www.fkbrno.com/images/Sliders/FK-7.5-SYSTEM/THE-PISTOL/DESCRIPTION/FP%20006.jpg
View Quote
Same.

I got to handle one of those awhile back.  It was nice but crazy money.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm confused on magazines a bit.

Would http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/11652_Mag-Cz-P09-40-Sandw-15rd-Aluminum-Base work with it since they appear to be original P-09 magazines?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Would http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/11652_Mag-Cz-P09-40-Sandw-15rd-Aluminum-Base work with it since they appear to be original P-09 magazines?
View Quote
Straight from the product announcement on Dan Wesson site.

"Full-size DWX pistols use a magazine based on the P-09/P-10 F, while compact variants use that of a 75 Compact."

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"Full-size DWX pistols use a magazine based on the P-09/P-10 F, while compact variants use that of a 75 Compact."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That works I just kept reading that there have been multiple versions of the P-09 and P-10 magazines and I just don't want to buy the wrong thing.

If they work I'll grab some for when the gun is released.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I found those mags for < $20/ea so I bought a bunch.  Now to wait for the gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just remember when they used be 80-90 bucks.  Still 50 compared to the price of CZ and MecGar mags.  I have bought some around 20 before for MecGar branded CZ mags.  Even the P-09/10/07 mags are expensive but they are around 35-40ish a mag.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.fkbrno.com/images/Sliders/FK-7.5-SYSTEM/THE-PISTOL/DESCRIPTION/FP%20006.jpg
View Quote
I still want this pistol but have yet to even see one in all my searching.  Several gun stores laughed when I asked if they could get one.  Then laughed and did not think I was serious about wanting one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still want this pistol but have yet to even see one in all my searching.  Several gun stores laughed when I asked if they could get one.  Then laughed and did not think I was serious about wanting one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DeGuns had one a month or so ago.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody at Dan Wesson or CZ could tell me if the original P-09 magazines will work so I think I'm going to wind up just sending those with the single cutout back that I ordered.

They cost too much to be stuck with them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gunbroker has one listed for sale: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841658627 ($7,500)
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I contacted HBI about modify the original P-09 magazines and they said that they don't do it but that the original mags won't work in the DWX.  Happily I was still able to cancel the magazines.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gunbroker has one listed for sale: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841658627 ($7,500)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off to the sperm bank and to sell plasma.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I back(pre) ordered a full size 9mm from Brownell's.

Now I wait.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Now I wait.....
View Quote
Debating on doing the same myself on the compact...rail or no rail?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am going to wait ... I never buy first releases of a new handgun.  Let you guys work out the bugs if any.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I wait.....
I'd go with the rail as you never know when it will come in handy and it's not like it's really in the way if you don't use it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am going to wait ... I never buy first releases of a new handgun.  Let you guys work out the bugs if any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I normally never buy the first release either but I have with the G43 and now this gun.  Dan Wesson is a good company so I'm hoping it will all work out.  If not I bought it thru Brownell's so I guess it could always go back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I want that exact gun but with a single stack 1911 grip.
View Quote
Have you held a 75 with thin aluminum grips?  It's close.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I normally never buy the first release either but I have with the G43 and now this gun.  Dan Wesson is a good company so I'm hoping it will all work out.  If not I bought it thru Brownell's so I guess it could always go back.
View Quote
I will give it a bit of time and then get one.  Plus I just dropped a huge chunk of change on a supercharger and car parts.  I do now have a 700+hp truck though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if it was designed solely by DW?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wonder if it was designed solely by DW?
View Quote
I would guess this is a CZ funded project branded DW
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My understanding is this guns is much more DW than it is CZ. As far as I know the only things actually CZ on the entire gun is some misc parts like extractor pin, extractor spring, the s2 rear sight, etc. Slide is made by DW in New York. Frame is made from a forging like all DW frames by DW in New York.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would guess this is a CZ funded project branded DW
My understanding is this guns is much more DW than it is CZ. As far as I know the only things actually CZ on the entire gun is some misc parts like extractor pin, extractor spring, the s2 rear sight, etc. Slide is made by DW in New York. Frame is made from a forging like all DW frames by DW in New York.
Right but CZ is the money. I doubt Dan Wesson came up with this in house but I could be wrong. They build 1911's and only 1911's so it's not like they really did anything innovative with ground breaking stuff from the ground up. They build rock solid guns.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone know when we will be able to buy this thing?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone know when we will be able to buy this thing?
View Quote
I'm waiting semi-patiently for my Brownells preorder.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm waiting extremely impatiently.

And since nobody posted a pic of the Fun Size version:

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm waiting extremely impatiently.

And since nobody posted a pic of the Fun Size version:

https://cdn.danwessonfirearms.com/ourquality/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/19e_DWX-Chassis-Aluminum-Angled-1100px-1.png
View Quote
That I really want!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That I really want!!
View Quote
I most excited about the full size version for competition, but if it works well then the compact version for carry makes a ton of sense.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top