Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2017 11:50:02 PM EDT
So, I guess I didn't learn from my first mistake. I purchase an SP-01 a while back and promptly put several hundred imaginary rounds through the gun (dry fires, no snap caps). Well, I broke the firing pin retaining roll pin before I even got to the range for its first real round... well, I spent some time on CGW's website and caught a bad case of the fuckits and ended up buying a pro package for it. It's great, CGW is awesome, etc etc. But annoyed the roll pin broke that quickly.

Flash forward 2.5 years and I've got a new RAMI in my possession. I do the same damn thing. Broken roll pin and all.

Is this experience in line with others? Why is the roll pin so shitty? Shoulld I just expect to send CGW every pay check to buy all my CZs solid pins?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
More stress put on it with no snap caps, but I agree that CZ should just put solid pins in instead.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a new CZ 75 Compact for a project.  I also ordered a bag of CGW parts for it, too.

I took the pistol apart to start the project mods and install the CGW parts and that roll pin was half crushed.

I never dry fired that pistol.  Not sure how much dry firing the factory does (?) but I thought it was odd the pin was damaged on a new pistol.

Oh, a lot of folks buy small O-rings and stick them in the slot in the back of the slide for dry firing.  The 0-ring stays in place and absorbs the energy of the falling hammer.  Some of those folks recommend buying red O-rings so it's obvious it needs to be removed before you finish the dry fire session and load the pistol back up to carry/use.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The factory firing pin retaining pin is known to be prone to breakage from dry firing.

You can either toss one of those #83 o-rings behind the firing pin (about $1 for a pack of 10)

or buy CGW's improved pin. ($5)
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't it odd that dry firing a modern centerfired handgun would cause breakage this easily? Why does CZ use such inferior materials? I bought a new P09 because I had heard great things about CZ pistols, but honestly after reading all of the issues with parts breakage and needing to upgrade parts from a third party company I'm selling it off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't it odd that dry firing a modern centerfired handgun would cause breakage this easily? Why does CZ use such inferior materials? I bought a new P09 because I had heard great things about CZ pistols, but honestly after reading all of the issues with parts breakage and needing to upgrade parts from a third party company I'm selling it off.
View Quote
Why?  If you were to buy a comparable handgun to the P09 you would spend upwards of 800-1000 dollars.  The handgun as is stock is fine but like anything we are guys we like to upgrade our equipment.  The stock roll pin will probably be fine for most people but some of us do thousands of dry fire rounds in a week and the repeated hitting of the pin would break even the Sigs roll pin.  I also upgraded my CZ which included the better roll pin and I use snap caps when I dry fire just to prevent the repeated hits of the pin.  It is not as big a deal as you are making it out to be.  If you are selling it off I will give you half what you paid for it since it has possible parts that could break.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why?  If you were to buy a comparable handgun to the P09 you would spend upwards of 800-1000 dollars.  The handgun as is stock is fine but like anything we are guys we like to upgrade our equipment.  The stock roll pin will probably be fine for most people but some of us do thousands of dry fire rounds in a week and the repeated hitting of the pin would break even the Sigs roll pin.  I also upgraded my CZ which included the better roll pin and I use snap caps when I dry fire just to prevent the repeated hits of the pin.  It is not as big a deal as you are making it out to be.  If you are selling it off I will give you half what you paid for it since it has possible parts that could break.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks. I upgrade as well just not use to upgrading parts like pins and springs in a handgun. So what parts do I need to make this a non-issue? Roll pin and trigger return spring? I love the feel of the gun but want to be able to trust it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. I upgrade as well just not use to upgrading parts like pins and springs in a handgun. So what parts do I need to make this a non-issue? Roll pin and trigger return spring? I love the feel of the gun but want to be able to trust it.
View Quote
The FP retaining pin and trigger return spring are the two biggest reported failure parts on OEM CZ's. That's not to say it's a guaranteed breakage, but they are common enough to watch out for. Luckily, more robust replacements are plentiful, inexpensive and easy to replace. If you're happy with the trigger pull, reset, and operation in general, those parts will keep all that while making the gun essentially bomb-proof. In fact, getting the reduced power trigger spring will actually give a slight improvement to the trigger pull feel. Not much, but it's a nice little plus.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://cajungunworks.com/product/rp-trs-reduced-power-trigger-return-spring/
https://cajungunworks.com/product/61100-tempered-spring-steel-firing-pin-retaining-pin/

Order these if you have problem drop in as replacement.
If you want a little smoother trigger get the short reset kit and slightly bend down the trigger bar spring takes that staking feel out of the trigger where you feel a smoother pull.  Take the rough spots off of the frame side of the trigger bar as well smoother it more.
The rest is just awesomeness trigger feel if you go pro pack.  Worth every penny it will make your 500 pistol feel like holy shit how is this thing not going for 1500?  Seriously I spent 1500 on a 1911 and this pistol is more awesome.  I want a P-07 and Shadow 2 now... I hate you guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top