Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2017 9:47:42 PM EDT
does everyone have troubling loading more than 15 rounds in an 18 round mag for a SP01? I can get to 15 and beyond that I have not tried as it feels like 15 is it!! Seriously, anyone have that issue? I have loaded both factory mags and 15 is it. In addition to that with one of the mags as I unloaded it 3 of the last 4 were laying loose in the mag as in flopping around because the first round in was stuck. Do, I just need to get a deal on some 19 Mecgar mags? Any and all input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't had any problems with mine...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. My stock 18rd work as good if not better than the mecgar 19rd I have (both flawlessly).
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My factory mags work fine. Stiff to load, but they work fine.

Fwiw, I have the SP 01 Phantom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Zero issues with the 10-12 factory mags i use they all load right up.  Maybe have your husband try to load them for you?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zero issues with the 10-12 factory mags i use they all load right up.  Maybe have your husband try to load them for you?
View Quote
In all fairness to you I did say all input is appreciated
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I will take the two mags back to the LGS where I bought the gun and let those guys load the mags and see what they think.
I understand stiff and hard to load the last couple rounds but these are beyond that. I took the one that jammed the first round inserted and lubed it and not having that problem but still no more than 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
This style?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
This looks like the factory mags with the exception of the bump plate is more rounded on one end than those in this picture.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This looks like the factory mags with the exception of the bump plate is more rounded on one end than those in this picture.
View Quote
Those are 18 round CZ factory mags that I posted, are you sure you don't have something else?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Brand new mags?  I had some Sig mags have the same issue but after going to the range and loading them shooting them and repeating the spring loosened and I was able to load to full capacity.  The Sig mags are MecGar which makes those mags you have so the spring is probably just stiff.  Load them up and empty them a few times or just load them up as much as you can and leave them for a few days then exercise them at the range.  I have also had new Glock mags or Glock mags after I replaced the spring with extra power springs do the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
My P-09 seems fairly easy to load up to 21. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those are 18 round CZ factory mags that I posted, are you sure you don't have something else?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe CZ changed the bump plate I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brand new mags?  I had some Sig mags have the same issue but after going to the range and loading them shooting them and repeating the spring loosened and I was able to load to full capacity.  The Sig mags are MecGar which makes those mags you have so the spring is probably just stiff.  Load them up and empty them a few times or just load them up as much as you can and leave them for a few days then exercise them at the range.  I have also had new Glock mags or Glock mags after I replaced the spring with extra power springs do the same thing.
View Quote
Maybe it is just a matter of the springs being a bit too stiff. Who knows, I asked here because I had never had any of my various mfg's mags be quite this stiff nor the first round loaded stick at the bottom. Not that big of a deal if I can get the mags to working properly. If not, I will buy the aftermarket Mec-Gars.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
A better pic of all 4 sides.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
OK, from that picture I can tell your mags are the same as mine.
Thanks for your efforts to help.

While not a new to semis there are many who know much more than I.
I posted about these mags because of how unusual of an experience it is to have the situation  with both factory mags. Perhaps with a little use and letting them stay loaded for some time it will weaken the spring enough to load and feed as they should.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you take the mags apart and clean them by chance?  All the CZ mags I have came from the factory with the tacky rust-preventative on them, including the inner surfaces, which caused drag when loading the mags.  I took them apart and wiped them all down with some solvent and they were much better.

And on the point of getting Mec Gar mags, you already have them.  Mec Gar is the OEM for CZ magazines.  They just don't have "Mec Gar" stamped on them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you take the mags apart and clean them by chance?  All the CZ mags I have came from the factory with the tacky rust-preventative on them, including the inner surfaces, which caused drag when loading the mags.  I took them apart and wiped them all down with some solvent and they were much better.

And on the point of getting Mec Gar mags, you already have them.  Mec Gar is the OEM for CZ magazines.  They just don't have "Mec Gar" stamped on them.
View Quote
I took one mag apart and wiped it down inside and lubed it lightly with EWL. I will see how that works. I likely will do the other mag in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I use the maglula pistol loader which helps give you enough leverage to put in the last few rounds. Are you loading by hand?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use the maglula pistol loader which helps give you enough leverage to put in the last few rounds. Are you loading by hand?
View Quote
Yes, loading by hand. I have an Uplula for AR but not handgun mags.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get the Maglula. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may order one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I loaded up all 3 of my SP01 Shadow 18rd, a 19rd and a 17rd in a couple minutes. Best thing since sliced bread, and no sore fingers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I may order one.
View Quote
Its worth its weight in gold if you load a lot of mags.  Its the only way I can fully load a new magazine. Carry it to every range session to load faster and saves the thumb.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its worth its weight in gold if you load a lot of mags.  Its the only way I can fully load a new magazine. Carry it to every range session to load faster and saves the thumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may order one.
I looked up the Uplula 60B which is the universal for 9mm-45 and many in 380. They are about $30 at Primary Arms. I will likely order one. Seems like a small price for convenience. ***** also, as an update to the Thread **** I left the mag with 15 rounds sitting for a few days.
I easily added the additional 3 rounds last night    I suppose letting it sit with 15 rounds and lubing it made the difference. The last 3 rounds went in filling it to capacity almost effortlessly.  I still think it would not be a bad idea to have a universal mag loader.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
All my 18 rounders are pretty stiff springed.  After 15-16 it's a pain in the ass handloading.  I use a loader though now.  No problems with the 19 rounders.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I third (or is it fourth) the recommendation for the maglula.  Makes a world of difference.

I also load a new magazine up and then just let them sit for a few days.  After that they seem to be easier to fully load.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, the maglula is great for both the SP-01 & P-09 mags. Keep using em OP, I had loading issues early on for some of my SP-01 mags but after use they are easy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I can load my SP-01 18 and 19 rounders easily by hand.

I use a Glock speed loader on the P-09 mags, the 19th round is a royal pita for me by hand.  
Oddly enough, the 21 round mags load easily by hand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I have never had any issues loading 18 rounds in my SP-01 CZ-USA factory magazines that I use in my SP-01 Phantom.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can load my SP-01 18 and 19 rounders easily by hand.

I use a Glock speed loader on the P-09 mags, the 19th round is a royal pita for me by hand.  
Oddly enough, the 21 round mags load easily by hand.
View Quote
Agreed.

The factory 18 rounders, and the Mec-Gar 17 and 19 rounders I own are a piece of cake to load. The last couple of rounds in a 12 round .40 SIG P226 are a bitch though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last magazine loader you'll ever buy. Well worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine load up to 18 just fine.  
+1 for the MagLula.  You will not regret it, and you'll never wear it out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, never had the problem you speak of. If anything, my OEM mag springs should be a bit more stouter than they are...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Got the Uplula and that thing makes loading the mags a breeze.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#35]
May be nothing to worry about. I fired the SP01 yesterday for the first time just to get the feel of the gun. I fired one mag of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain LE and the other mag Federal 147 HST. I had 4 failures to feed with the Federal and no issues with the Speer GD.
I loaded GD in the problem mag and had 1 failure to feed. I cleaned the mag again tonight and will try it again tomorrow. I hope it is the mag and not the HST.  
Accuracy was a little disappointing after all the good reviews I have seen about the gun.
I will put a few more rounds through it before I make up my mind.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I looked up the Uplula 60B which is the universal for 9mm-45 and many in 380. They are about $30 at Primary Arms. I will likely order one. Seems like a small price for convenience. ***** also, as an update to the Thread **** I left the mag with 15 rounds sitting for a few days.
I easily added the additional 3 rounds last night    I suppose letting it sit with 15 rounds and lubing it made the difference. The last 3 rounds went in filling it to capacity almost effortlessly.  I still think it would not be a bad idea to have a universal mag loader.
View Quote
That has worked for me for years with new magazines.  Load it up and let it sit for a few days and then it's much easier to load up after that.  I know people say springs don't work like that but all of mine do.

I also have the maglula uplula magazine loader.  It makes those new magazine fill ups so much easier.  I bought mine.  It worked so good I bought one for both my sons and my nephew and then bought myself a spare.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top