User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 12:21:46 PM EDT
I am torn on what way to go.

$1300 Shadow 2

$880 Shadow

$650 SP-01

Going to use it for Production USPSA.

My only requirements are:

2lb trigger (SA) and would love 3.5-4 lb tops in DA.

Dawson FO front and blacked out rear comp sights.  

Although the Shadow 2 is damned tempting, but, that $1300 price tag.

Shadow is damned tempting.

Seems all of them will need some tuning on the trigger

For the $ difference between the three, it almost makes more sense to go SP-01 and do the trigger myself and add a set of Dawsons. Save anywhere from $300 to $400 to go towards new holster, mags, and ammoes!

Talk me into one of them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
SP-01 sent to CGW or upgrade yourself with CGW parts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Shadow 2 is nice, but will not give you the trigger pulls without some work. Out of the box the DA pull is in the 9-10lb range, SA around 3... 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think those numbers are possible with the FPB. I've seen Shadows running at
 4.5lb DA and 1.8lb SA, but you're reloading game has to be on point. Federal primers only, depth has to be perfect. 

There's some serious spring voodoo involved, plus every surface has to be slick as snot. You'd need an extended firing pin and likely a different hammer and an adjustable sear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

2lb trigger (SA) and would love 3.5-4 lb tops in DA.
View Quote

I think you're living in la-la land with those DA requirements.

You're going to severely hamstring yourself with what kinds of primers you can set off and will likely run into reliability problems.

It's just not worth it IMO when there is only one DA pull each stage.  One or two extra pounds isn't going to make or break you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh boy am I an idiot....I typed that backwards....DA vs SA.

I was sober when I typed that too

I have been digging in the CZ forums and Brian Enos, elsewhere.

The Shadow 2 may only need some polishing to get to where I want, with very little Cajun parts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I put in a 13lb hammer spring from CGW, and it greatly improved the DA pull on my S2... couldn't weigh it, but I'm guessing in the 6lb range
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm literally going through this same debate right now.

It is greatly aided however by my inability to locate an Urban gray Shadow 2
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Not going to happen easily if at all. A Shadow running the 8.5 pound hammer spring for federal primers only is still going to be in the maybe 4.5-5 pound DA range. The SA around 2 is doable and doable even with a FPB. CGW did a new Shadow 2 and got it to just under 3 pounds SA and 5.5 pounds DA running the 11.5 pound CGW hammer spring. A more realistic expectation is 2-3 pound SA and 5-6 pound DA using an upgraded Shadow or even regular safety SP-01. My FPB equipped SP-01 has a 2 pound SA and a 5.5 pound DA with a lot of upgrades and a lot of rounds down range.

And, a Shadow 2 isn't legal for USPSA yet since not enough have made it to the US yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Since cost is a factor for you, the Shadow 2 makes little sense since it's not at all cost effective.  Sexy, sure.  Cost effective, heck no.  I suspect you already know that, but are looking for a way to justify the Shadow 2.

SP-01 with trigger work makes sense.  If you ever plan to resell, send it to Cajun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since cost is a factor for you, the Shadow 2 makes little sense since it's not at all cost effective.  Sexy, sure.  Cost effective, heck no.  I suspect you already know that, but are looking for a way to justify the Shadow 2.

SP-01 with trigger work makes sense.  If you ever plan to resell, send it to Cajun.
View Quote
Lets throw in some anguish.

Holsters are pretty limited for the Shadow 2 also. Bladetech or some high dollar rig. I do like Bladetech, so no biggy there.

I think I have come to the conclusion of getting the SP-01. Ordering Dawson sights, and whatever Cajun kit I decide on to get my trigger close to what I would like.

I cant think of anything else I would want to do.

looks like I am going to the LGS tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Problem solved!

Attachment Attached File

3 more mags are waiting for me at Grabagun, new Bladetech holster due in tomorrow........Dawson sights to be ordered ASAP.

Cajunization to be done next week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Shadow Custom for 900?  Or wait for Shadow 2 and pay 1200?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
there is a Shadow 2 in the EE...$1175.
If He would have posted it 2 days sooner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top