Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I am very new to the CZ product line.   I currently have a CZ P09.   I have traditionally been a 1911 guy but do not like the limited magazine capacity.   As such I have been in the search for a new pistol that is not a striker fired gun and can be carried in single action with a safety.   I think the CZ75/P-09 are the answer I seek.   My only complaint about the P09 is single action with safety setup is the very long reset.  I find myself short stroking the trigger when I get in a hurry.  The Shadow 2 has really peeked my interest.   I need to be able to mount a light on the gun.

I guess my question is, is the Shadow 2 from the Custom shop the gun I seek?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am very new to the CZ product line.   I currently have a CZ P09.   I have traditionally been a 1911 guy but do not like the limited magazine capacity.   As such I have been in the search for a new pistol that is not a striker fired gun and can be carried in single action with a safety.   I think the CZ75/P-09 are the answer I seek.   My only complaint about the P09 is single action with safety setup is the very long reset.  I find myself short stroking the trigger when I get in a hurry.  The Shadow 2 has really peeked my interest.   I need to be able to mount a light on the gun.

View Quote
To be honest if you aren't shooting competition then there is no need to spend 1300 on a Shadow 2 unless you have money to burn. Just get a normal Shadow, SP-01, or P-01 if you want a metal framed gun, and p09/p07 if you want a polymer framed gun.

ETA: If you are short stroking the trigger then you need to train more with your gun and develop the proper muscle memory for it. @GBTX01
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing after CZC posted that on the discussion on FB
View Quote
My understanding is that because the frames are cast, they have a higher probability of showing imperfections.  The nitride only ones are those that don't have the imperfections and don't need the poly coat to cover them up...so i read on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To be honest if you aren't shooting competition then there is no need to spend 1300 on a Shadow 2 unless you have money to burn. Just get a normal Shadow, SP-01, or P-01 if you want a metal framed gun, and p09/p07 if you want a polymer framed gun.

ETA: If you are short stroking the trigger then you need to train more with your gun and develop the proper muscle memory for it. @GBTX01
View Quote
That and the shadow 2 is supposedly heavy as hell, not counting ammo and a light.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It would also serve as a duty gun, replacing my 1911 Operator (also known as field towed Artillery).  Do all Shadow 2's come from the custom shop or are there ones that do not?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It would also serve as a duty gun, replacing my 1911 Operator (also known as field towed Artillery).  Do all Shadow 2's come from the custom shop or are there ones that do not?
View Quote
The shadow 2 is a base model only at the moment...CZC is not the only dealer that took pre-orders.  CZC is doing custom work on them prior to shipping but the wait time is around 2 months when i talked to them earlier this week.  The good thing is they accept most of the shadow internals like recoil and mainsprings.  I have already ordered a mainspring, firing pin, and firing pin spring from Cajun.  I plan to try to smooth some of the internals out myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That and the shadow 2 is supposedly heavy as hell, not counting ammo and a light.
View Quote
46oz.  IIRC

If you buy this gun for anything other than competing in IPSC/USPSA production division, it'll be a travesty.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

46oz.  IIRC

If you buy this gun for anything other than competing in IPSC/USPSA production division, it'll be a travesty.  
View Quote
Is that with or without the mag?  My TSO is a hair over 44 without, 47 and change with...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd try the Cajun Short Reset system for the P-09.
P-09 Short Reset System
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you'll be better off with a regular Shadow or an SP-01 Tactical with some Cajun Gun Works parts installed. The Shadow 2 was designed as a competition gub, as was the TS Orange and such guns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The shadow 2 is a base model only at the moment...CZC is not the only dealer that took pre-orders.  CZC is doing custom work on them prior to shipping but the wait time is around 2 months when i talked to them earlier this week.  The good thing is they accept most of the shadow internals like recoil and mainsprings.  I have already ordered a mainspring, firing pin, and firing pin spring from Cajun.  I plan to try to smooth some of the internals out myself.
View Quote
I saw that the DA pull was around 10 pounds and immediately ordered an 11.5 and 13 pound main spring. @xXGearheadXx
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful gun

How's the slide-to-frame fit? Anything special over an SP-01?

Your choices are:

A.  Feels like a single block of steel
B.  I can feel the slide wiggle if I push it side-to-side or up and down on the frame
C.  It makes an audible sound when I shake it in my hand
D.  When the pick up the frame, the slide stays on the table

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Beautiful gun

How's the slide-to-frame fit? Anything special over an SP-01?

Your choices are:

A.  Feels like a single block of steel
B.  I can feel the slide wiggle if I push it side-to-side or up and down on the frame
C.  It makes an audible sound when I shake it in my hand
D.  When the pick up the frame, the slide stays on the table

Thank you
View Quote
I'll let you know when I get mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked mine up today. Heres a quick pic, i'll take more later. Above is an SP-01 for shits and giggles.

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice, no flies on those, please post more pix

How is the trigger? Did it come with a target?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It did. Its a tack driver. Trigger is fantastic, super short reset as well. I'll post more pics when i get a chance, im on a date lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Stuart at CZC said they shot them all, a separate test target included
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I saw that the DA pull was around 10 pounds and immediately ordered an 11.5 and 13 pound main spring. @xXGearheadXx
View Quote
Same. I ditched my shadow custom a couple months ago in anticipation of this gun, and it had about the sweetest DA pull I've ever felt on a production division gun. I'm no trigger snob but I don't want to take a huge step back either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Do these use the same main and recoil spring as the SP01?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#20]
More pics

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
46oz.  IIRC

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

46oz.  IIRC

I don't compete, nor plan to, but I'm still trying to decide between a Shadow 2 or TSO Orange for a just for fun or range toy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't compete, nor plan to, but I'm still trying to decide between a Shadow 2 or TSO Orange for a just for fun or range toy.
View Quote
Like I said, travesty.

You will have bought an exceptionally competitive gun for either production or limited division, depending on your choice. 

Compete!  It's the best thing you'll ever do for your shooting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, just got home with mine, so I'll add some more pics to piggyback off zerothomas.

Someone asked about recoil springs. As you can see, the SP-01 spring is a flat wound spring (bottom) and the Shadow 2
is round wire and shorter (top). Shadow also includes a steel guide rod and some gelatin buffers to change spring characteristics.
Also, note the lack of a firing pin block.

The gun weighed in, with an empty mag, @ 49.9 oz.

Trigger pull measured in at 10 Lbs. 4 oz. for DA and 3 Lbs. 6 Oz. in SA. (Avg of 5)
Compared to my SP-01 which is 11 Lbs 11 Oz. and 5 Lbs 3 Oz. and is well broken in.
To be honest, the DA pull doesn't FEEL 10 Lbs at all, since it is a very smooth pull with no grit at all.
All you feel is the weight of the main spring.

That's the subjective part that mere numbers can't tell you, is how the trigger feels, and I think it's great. Extremely smooth and consistent.

In SA, trigger has ~.15" in travel to the wall, and then another .15" to a clean break. Reset is back out ~.15"

Here is the live fire test target that CZ custom includes...

One final note, the gun comes with 3 mags but they are the 17 rounders and do not have the +2 base plate (19 rounds) that you see
in the original press photos of the gun. This is reflected in the photos and specs on CZ-USA's website, but just thought I would point it out.

Also, with the discussion of finishes, the slide is nitride, the frame is polycoat on this black version. Not sure why they offer two different finishes, but whatever, it's CZ.
I stopped trying to figure out stuff like that a long time ago. 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Great review. I just got home from shooting mine. Shoots like a dream. I made a slow motion video of the muzzle rise but i dont have a youtube channel or anything. Lets just say there isnt much rise lol. Mine also came with 15rd Mec Gar magazines bc i requested them. I compared the trigger to my SP-01 with Production Legal CGW kit installed and i gotta say the SP-01 clearly has a much better and lighter DA pull but the SA on the Sp-01 is only slightly better. If the Shadow 2 is that nice out of the box, i cant wait to see what CGW has in store for it, which i was told they are working on already.

Nooooow i just need to find a source for Orange or Red Grips. Theres some canadian and Euro websites that have grips but not the color i want. Hopefully more parts start to come out now that its released, such as springs and grips. Cant see much else needing immediate replacing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
So replacement grips are hard to find. But i just confirmed that regular CZ full sized grips fit perfect on the Shadow 2. So if you arent picky about it saying SHADOW 2 on the side then you can use regular grips

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#26]
CZ must have sent a bunch in this first load, 3 or 4 on Gunbroker, DE guns has them for $1189/free shipping, my dealer got one, sold it for $1159 today. I am glad to have one, just paid more  
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So replacement grips are hard to find. But i just confirmed that regular CZ full sized grips fit perfect on the Shadow 2. So if you arent picky about it saying SHADOW 2 on the side then you can use regular grips

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/Mobile%20Uploads/5ED1B899-2861-4A6F-BD23-E5EBC180BA26_zpsb7uukpd9.jpg
View Quote
That's good to know. I was wondering about that!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
CZ must have sent a bunch in this first load, 3 or 4 on Gunbroker, DE guns has them for $1189/free shipping, my dealer got one, sold it for $1159 today. I am glad to have one, just paid more  
View Quote
Meh. I paid my deposit 4 months ago with CZC. I already forgot about that money, so I got mine for only $1099 + shipping 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know if a Shadow extended firing pin will work? If there aren't any negatives to having one I want to throw it in with the 11.5# main spring.

ETA: It is the same.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I read this:
"Like the CZ 75 SP-01, the Shadow 2 can use the recoil springs and mainsprings of different resistance. If you happen to have springs set to the original Shadow, you can even use these on the Shadow 2 with similar results"

So i guess the Shadow 2 can use the same recoil springs/hammer springs as an SP-01/Shadow?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I read this:
"Like the CZ 75 SP-01, the Shadow 2 can use the recoil springs and mainsprings of different resistance. If you happen to have springs set to the original Shadow, you can even use these on the Shadow 2 with similar results"

So i guess the Shadow 2 can use the same recoil springs/hammer springs as an SP-01/Shadow?
View Quote
Yes,there is a thread started by one of the custom or cgw guys noting all of the parts they share. It's on the Brian enos forum I believe.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#32]
What holsters are available for the S2 ?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What holsters are available for the S2 ?
View Quote
I have a Blade Tech Drop offset for mine
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone know if the slide and frame receive any kind of special fitting?  Or is this simply an expensive production pistol?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the slide and frame receive any kind of special fitting?  Or is this simply an expensive production pistol?
View Quote
I don't think so. They are not as tight as a custom fitted 1911 or something, if that's what you mean, but there is very little play.
Production gun with the slide / frame fit to a very close tolerance, just enough to be interchangeable, is my guess.

As far as price, it's not much more than a M9A3 or a production Colt Gold Cup, but way more accurate, and a much better competition platform, than either of those IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Can the 2 be changed to SAO?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe so, theres pictures of them in that configuration floating around from last year.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#38]
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=86823.0
Thread by the guys at Cajun gun works.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/Mobile%20Uploads/5ED1B899-2861-4A6F-BD23-E5EBC180BA26_zpsb7uukpd9.jpg
View Quote
Good to know!! I actually think the SHADOW 2 on the grip looks kinda tacky and will inevitably be outdated when they release a Shadow 3.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
P-09 Short Reset System
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P-09 Short Reset System
I have this in my P07, makes a significant difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I got to handle a shadow 2 today for a customers transfer.  Its damn nearly perfect.  A duty gun based on this frame and slide with a decocker and threaded barrel, that took all the sp01 CGW parts would be the perfect pistol for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Sexy ass guns.  Wish I shot CZ's as well as I do Glocks.

Nothing a year of dry fire couldn't fix.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got to handle a shadow 2 today for a customers transfer.  Its damn nearly perfect.  A duty gun based on this frame and slide with a decocker and threaded barrel, that took all the sp01 CGW parts would be the perfect pistol for me.
View Quote
I can't help but think that is in the back of their minds.
More than just an evolution of the Shadow, it's an evolution of the SP-01 itself. I'd love to see a "tactical" or "duty" version, whatever you want to call it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My understanding is that because the frames are cast, they have a higher probability of showing imperfections.  The nitride only ones are those that don't have the imperfections and don't need the poly coat to cover them up...so i read on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing after CZC posted that on the discussion on FB
I kinda figured it was that or that the nitride only one required a little more "finish work"
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
This would suggest it can... or at least there is a SAO version floating around in CZ-land

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked up my Shadow 2 tonight. I absolutely love it except for the DA pull. I am installing a CGW 11.5# hammer spring, extended firing pin, and reduced power firing pin spring for now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone else have there magazines wearing really fast in this area? Just want to make sure something isn't out of the ordinary here. I think it's due to the magazine catch pushing from the opposite side.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah all the mags that came with mine have the same wear spot just from one range day and dry firing practice at home.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I have CZ mags where all the high spots are basically bare metal. It happens. No biggie, mags still function flawlessly.
Just give the outside a wipe down with oil or Barricade or something to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like Oak Hill Guns got some Shadow 2s in also.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top