Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2016 1:54:49 PM EDT
SP-01 Phantom returning by popular demand in 2017 according to CZ's Instagram. Incase you didnt know the phantom is the polymer lower version of the regular SP-01. Different looking slide too. Originally discontinued in 2013. Having an SP-01 Tactical im quite interested in handling a Phantom.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
SP-01 Phantom returning by popular demand in 2017 according to CZ's Instagram. Incase you didnt know the phantom is the polymer lower version of the regular SP-01. Different looking slide too. Originally discontinued in 2013. Having an SP-01 Tactical im quite interested in handling a Phantom.
View Quote

I found one awhile back for $350 used but passed on it as it did not feel as good as a SP-01.  Kind of wish I had snagged it just for the sack of having it to have.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What would drive people to buy this over a P-09? 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It uses cheaper 75B mag. The trigger can be a lot better upgraded since it uses a regular 75B trigger and not the Omega system in the P-09.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It uses cheaper 75B mag. The trigger can be a lot better upgraded since it uses a regular 75B trigger and not the Omega system in the P-09.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying I should buy a Phantom?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't need, will buy anyway.

I wish they made a P01 Phantom.  Perfect CCW midsize if they did.  And yes, I've already got a P07, which I love.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The Phantom was never really "discontinued", but every one being made was going to the Czech military, who bought a ton of them. I have one, and it is an excellent pistol, very nice sidearm. Great to see them coming back, and yes, High Noon Holsters still makes rigs for the Phantom. ;)
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Phantom was never really "discontinued", but every one being made was going to the Czech military, who bought a ton of them. I have one, and it is an excellent pistol, very nice sidearm. Great to see them coming back, and yes, High Noon Holsters still makes rigs for the Phantom. ;)
View Quote

QFT

They also showed up in small numbers once or twice every year for the last few years too. I know they've been using a new polymer makeup for the frame the last few years too. Moldings a little different.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine a few months ago. I  saw a few new ones on gunbroker. I called CZ and was told they had a few and I ordered right from them. Great gun!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the P-09 was a better pistol then the SP-01 Phantom.  Wouldn't the Czech Republic adopted the P-09 instead of the Phantom?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the P-09 was a better pistol then the SP-01 Phantom.  Wouldn't the Czech Republic adopted the P-09 instead of the Phantom?
View Quote

Obviously you do not know govt procurement and how it works it is almost never the best that gets chosen.  Politics and money are what determine adoption of equipment.  Look at the m16 adoption for an example.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, he just didn't understand timing - the Phantom was adopted before the P-07/P-09 were introduced. It's like asking why the Army adopted the 1911 instead of the Glock. ;) OK, so that's a bit extreme, but you get the gist of it. :D
I don't know anything about an improved molding, but I can say mine has held up perfectly since I go it several years ago, great pistol.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I don't know how much the molding or polymer is "improved". But the molding lines are a little different in some areas, like around the "Made in Czech Rep" markings.

Supposedly it has (and has had for the last couple years) the same polymer formulation that the P07/09 uses.

I've got an older Phantom. It's been fine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Been wanting one of these for a long time. Never pulled the trigger on them when they pop up though. Maybe I'll get one this year...

I have a bajillion CZ75 mags and the Phantom can take advantage of my stockpile of mags. Also, the CZ75 type action is easily improved upon. Something you just can't get right in the other polymer CZ's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Obviously you do not know govt procurement and how it works it is almost never the best that gets chosen.  Politics and money are what determine adoption of equipment.  Look at the m16 adoption for an example.
View Quote

I think you're basing your opinion on US Govt. procurement and not what "is" the Czech Republic's.  I can't speak to their procurement as I'm not familiar with it, but seeing that the P-07 was available in 2009 and the P-09 in 2013 to the US civilian market.  I would think that the Czech Republic had plenty of opportunity to assess the pistols prior to finalizing the contract  

IMO, it's obvious that the reason that they might have gone with the Phantom over the possible (?) improved P-07 or 09, was that the few hundred thousand magazines of the current issued 75B would fit the Phantom where the P-07 or 09 would not.  The trigger/sear pack was similar to the 75B unlike the 07 or 09 which has the Omega.  The cost of retraining armorers and the procurement a few hundred thousand new magazines are more likely the reason that the Phantom was chosen over the P-07/09.

Seeing that striker fire pistols seem to be the rage in military circle these days.  I would think that the P-10 would be a viable choice of governmental agencies in the future.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.guns.com/2012/08/06/czech-update-small-arms-inventory-cz-805-bren-scorpion-and-sp-01-phantom/
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The phantom is one of my favorite handguns.  It's a lighter, polymer SP-01.  The shape makes it one of the nicest handguns to hold.  There really isn't a better way that I can put it.

Once you pick one up you'll understand.

Old picture
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
And I just put a saved search today on Gunbroker under "CZ Phantom". Ohhhh this is good news.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought one of the new ones two days ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but so far I like everything about it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought one of the new ones two days ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but so far I like everything about it.
View Quote

How do you have one of the new ones? Where did you get it from?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
2016 manufacture date. Bought it from SAW in Sunnyvale, TX
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
2016 manufacture date. Bought it from SAW in Sunnyvale, TX
View Quote

They don't have anymore
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Shot my new Phantom this weekend. Pure sex.

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shot my new Phantom this weekend. Pure sex.
View Quote

Welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Do they make them with a thumb safety?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do they make them with a thumb safety?
View Quote

No. It comes with a decocker only.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone seen the new one in stores yet?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Can it be converted?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Any word on availability yet?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Do want! I've been trying to find one forever
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#30]
6 months later....this gun is still a Phantom.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
So....standard operating procedure for CZ
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I asked them about it a while back on IG (where they are pretty responsive) and got radio silence.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:42:21 AM EDT
[#33]
They are weird. Sometimes i get a response quickly on their IG, sometimes i gotta ask 10 times. Im sure they have like 500 questions a day about P10C's and shit. On that note, i think in the latest rifleman magazine they listed all the new guns for 2017 and the phanton was listed. Where are they idk, but its also only May...
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally my first CZ!

Just received my CZ Phantom.  Love it already.  The shape fits my hand like a glove.

Been on my short list for four years.  Handled one at a gun show back then.  Really liked it, but had already picked up a couple things that day.  Didn't really know anything about CZ pistols, so decided to do some research first.

That was the last time I saw one.  I have shot an SP-01 and standard 75, but the weight slows me down.  Absorbs the recoil, but I can get back on target faster with my Glock 17.  Always thought this was the perfect compromise between the two.

Checked stock while I am typing this, and Tombstone Tactical still has some on hand.  Just happened to stumble across this while looking for something else.  Thought I would give a heads up to those still looking.

I love this freakin' gun.  Now that I have this one, the PCR I have been putting off will be close behind.  Can't wait to get to the range on Friday...

Gotta have a pic.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice. Its on my short list for my next CZ.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Very nice. Glad to see some are finally making their way out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#39]
There is one in Grand Rapids that I'm seriously thinking about asking to be shipped to my ffl. The store is asking $563. If the frame came in FDE there wouldn't even be any question.

Though is the frame any thicker on the Phantom than the standard SP01?  Thats the reason why I sold my P07 SR, how wide the frame was. Granted I'm not planning on carrying such a pistol, thats what my Shield and CZ75 compact are for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I got my Phantom a little over a year ago from CZ. I passed on one about 5 yrs before and always regretted it. The Phantom is one of my avorite handguns now. The triger seems to get better after each time I take it to the range. I have a 75BD also, so it is a win win for me. I dont have to go out and buy as many different mags. Iwould like to see CZdo a Phantom compact at some point. That would  be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Saw one today at my lgs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got one from LGS, something about the way it feels is just... wonderful.   Very slim and sleek for a double stacker.  

I have a P10 and it just doesn't feel like a CZ.  Great gun, but it feels more like a Czech Glock than a true CZ.  

The Phantom is much more like my 75's and captures that Slav Magic.  Now I need tritiums for it, only gripe is the sights kinda suck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I have the CZ stock night sights on my Phantom and they rock. Can't exactly SEE them here, but I like this pic.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Does the Phantom have the same heavy profile barrel that the SP 01 has?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#45]
When I picked up my p07 they had one and I honestly wasn't impressed. The overall look and feel felt inferior to the p07, at least to me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When I picked up my p07 they had one and I honestly wasn't impressed. The overall look and feel felt inferior to the p07, at least to me.
View Quote
The P-09/07 are fine pistols they offer a bit more than the Phantom.  The slide is easier to grip being fatter and cut differently along with the cocking serrations.  Interchangeable back straps for the midget hands all the way up to the gigantic hands.  The simple Omega trigger design so you can swap between decocker or safety.  The frame texturing is better on this serious as well.
The Phantom has its advantages though the 75 trigger can be made to be a better trigger and 75 vs Omega trigger stock the 75 I believe feels better.  The magazines are interchangeable with the other 75 series pistols and are much cheaper than the P-09/07 pistols.

All in all both are excellent pistols.  I own a 75bd, SP-01 tac, and P-09 all of them Cajunized and think they are awesome pistols.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#47]
My buddy just got one and he loves it. Maybe I'll get some trigger time on it and maybe it'll change my mind.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with Edge on the Gov't choices here. I work on Gov't contracts for a major Metropolitan City... However Edge, what would have been a better choice over the venerable M16 in your opinion? The M16 would have been a solid 10 from the start until idiots like Robert McNamara substituted ball powder for the stick powder for which the weapon was designed for. Also I believe the M16's original chambers were chromed as well until Gov't bean counters fucked with that too. Once back to stick powder and chrome chambers it was no longer a jammomatic and became the benchmark it is today!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I agree with Edge on the Gov't choices here. I work on Gov't contracts for a major Metropolitan City... However Edge, what would have been a better choice over the venerable M16 in your opinion? The M16 would have been a solid 10 from the start until idiots like Robert McNamara substituted ball powder for the stick powder for which the weapon was designed for. Also I believe the M16's original chambers were chromed as well until Gov't bean counters fucked with that too. Once back to stick powder and chrome chambers it was no longer a jammomatic and became the benchmark it is today!
View Quote
To answer your question I never said the M16 was a bad choice it just got turned into political fight and could have hit the troops battle ready and no huge issues like the powder and chrome lining.  Maybe had the military listened to the weapon designer and kept the govt out of the military weapons procurement(even though they wanted wood and lots of steel).  It is like having the car owner telling the crew chief run the medium compound tire while everyone else uses the super soft instead of the crew chief making a strategic decision.  Or the team owner telling the pitcher to pitch a fastball when a breaking ball is less likely to get put out of the park.

Govt will cheap out sometimes when given the opportunity I work for the state and sometimes it just leave you in a full facepalm.  The waste is insane as well no wonder where all our money goes.  I got in trouble for saving money because it was a security risk.  (reusing old hard drives instead of shredding them)  After we were told to stop I posed the question so should we go remove all the hard drives from every computer on campus.  I got the WTF look and basically said according to your reasoning you do not want the drives reused because of the chance they could get stolen.  More WTF looks and I said what are you doing to prevent all the current drives on campus from being stolen.  Then it dawned on them how they really did not think about what they were saying.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To answer your question I never said the M16 was a bad choice it just got turned into political fight and could have hit the troops battle ready and no huge issues like the powder and chrome lining.  Maybe had the military listened to the weapon designer and kept the govt out of the military weapons procurement(even though they wanted wood and lots of steel).  It is like having the car owner telling the crew chief run the medium compound tire while everyone else uses the super soft instead of the crew chief making a strategic decision.  Or the team owner telling the pitcher to pitch a fastball when a breaking ball is less likely to get put out of the park.

Govt will cheap out sometimes when given the opportunity I work for the state and sometimes it just leave you in a full facepalm.  The waste is insane as well no wonder where all our money goes.  I got in trouble for saving money because it was a security risk.  (reusing old hard drives instead of shredding them)  After we were told to stop I posed the question so should we go remove all the hard drives from every computer on campus.  I got the WTF look and basically said according to your reasoning you do not want the drives reused because of the chance they could get stolen.  More WTF looks and I said what are you doing to prevent all the current drives on campus from being stolen.  Then it dawned on them how they really did not think about what they were saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edge, I totally agree! Hahahaha! I enjoyed your analogies and the Hard Drive story. The waste is disgusting just as you say. And the asinine mindset around the entity as a whole makes you want to go around counting chromosomes as well! Agreed. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

OP, the Phantom and the SP-01 are fantastic pistols. The P-07 and P-09 are awesome as well. My P-01, SP-01, and 97B are all fantastic pistols. I've never seen CZ put out anything that I didn't like. And I'm a picky mother "F-er" for sure when it comes to vehicles, guns, and electronics... I drive my wife crazy sometimes! But don't we all??? I think that is part of the reason they love us so much. At least I'll keep telling myself that! You can't go wrong with anything CZ!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top