Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:54:27 AM EDT
I am interested in buying a Steyr MA1 and maybe the older compact version. please post any info on these guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got an M9. The only real difference them is the M-A1 has a improved part in the extractor, which drops in the older M-S series.
The frame is a direct swap.

I love mine. It is my first 9mm and polymer gun after 15 years of pure 1911. Says a lot about the feel and handling of the Steyr IMO.

A great place for info on all things Steyr is here
www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?name=Forums
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
any problems with it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the exstractor is so stiff that when unloading it unless the slide is pulled back hard the round won't eject.
no FTF or FTE when shooting so far, +400rnds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an M9 and M40---the 40 has worked flawlessly for 500+ rounds with any bullet weight or brand. Excellent accuracy once you get used to the sights.

The 9 on the other hand, which I just got about 3-4 weeks ago, had what I thought was failure to  extract
about 8 times in the first 60-70 rounds. I was using 3 types of 115 jhp. I figured this was the famed extractor issues talked about with the 9 on Steyrclub so much. Called the Steyr service guys in Ga., and asked if they could send the new extractor to correct this-----he said no, send it in--its not extractor issues, its EJECTOR issues (not long enough), and those people on Steyrclub don't know what they're talking about. I pointed out that ejector tweeking and replacement seemed to be working for them, and he babbled on about recoil impulse and said send it in.
Well, I got to thinking about the recoil impulse crap, and decided to try it out with different ammo before sending it in---124 and 147 grainers. It has run flawlessly since with several brands in those weights, about 250 rounds. Interesting.
I tried to join Steyrclub to share this, but they never sent me an e-mail confirmation---probably for the better--this would have started a firestorm, i'm sure.
Anyways, excellent accuracy in the 9 also, and as long as it runs on the other weight bullets, i'm not sending it in. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a M40 in 1999 and admittedly didn't shoot it much, but stayed in touch with the guy who bought it. I liked the safety in the trigger guard... He has never reported any problems at all to me. I recently chased down a dealer here in the Daytona Beach area that could sell me another as I regret selling the original (new wife was a little nervous, but that's another story). The dealer didn't even know he could get it for me. I had to chase down the distributor and put them together. So, I now have a new M40A1 without the safety, but I'm happy. Iv' taken it to the range and literally shot the living hell out of it with every thing I could find from cheap plinkling ammo to home defense loads. We have an outdoor public range here in Daytona Beach and people stopped by to see what I was shooting as they knew it was more than a "nine" and didn't look like a "glock". After blistering my hand and running out of ammo (about 750 rounds) and clearing centers out of stacks of targets without a single malfunction, I went home, cleaned my M40 and decided it my new carry gun (I have a FL CCW). I have owned Glocks, Smiths, etc, etc, but there is just somethiing about this Steyr... It smokes. Recoil is smooth and progressive. It always goes bang. For some reason there doeesn't seem to be much felt difference between ammunition. Sweet precision... and not too badly priced. Special order only $480 w/2high cap mags...maybe I'm different, but I'm just so tired of Glock Glock Glock......
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a M9 and love it.  Hardy any problems and it shoots great.  My most accurate pistol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The newer A1 series has solved the ejector problems, provided you don't limp wrist the gun.

I have the M40-A1

The Steyr handgun is very well made, and very tight when new, you need to run about 500 rounds through it before it loosens up.  So you may get jams in the break in period, but I didn't.

The sights are the best on the market IMHO, some don't like them though, so you should look at them for yourself before purchasing.

The new S-A1 series is comming out now, if you like compacts go that way.

I Compared a Glock 22, Springfield XD, Taurus 24/7, and a M40-A1 and the M40-A1 came out on top, so I bought it. It's just that simple.

My brother has an XD, and so does his wife... After we all went to the range, and we shot each others pistols, they both want a Steyr A1 now, he is going to get the M9-A1 since he already has a .40 in his XD.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Once my state passes the carry law I was planning on using my M9, but the thought of a S9-A1 sounds really nice.  Those sights have spoiled me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top