Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have grip screws,  ordered them from Amazon

the ones that came with mine were nasty rusty,  and a set of grips to
View Quote
do you have a link?

i read in a youtube video that the grip screw size was  M3.5 - 0.60 x 6mm

and i found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078H3W4WW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1KEVU1MRNY7ZO&psc=1

also, i was gonna order some p6 mags to modify, but thanks to this thread i bought 4 extra mags from classic. did not know they sold the mags separately.

the p6 mags were 19.99 in midway, no savings vs the original stars so i went with star

maybe we need to update OP with links for parts and stuff. just saying
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Would like to see a pic with the new grips.
Thanks
View Quote
I have to be a paying member to post a picture correct?  And then I hate to admit I have no idea how to do it anyway.   By the way it looks pretty good with the new grips.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Came here to post about mine, and saw this thread so I will pile on.
Good info on the mags from Classic, thx.

I was going to order one when a sample popped up locally fif.  The guy was honest enough to tell me that it was not reliable with certain brands of ammo and he didn't want it anymore.  Upon examination, it was tight so I was happy, rear sight drifted waay left, not happy. Finish worn and some pitting, I was expecting this.  I almost walked, but me being me, I bought it anyway.
I cleaned it and well now it is loose as hell .
The slide was not under much, if any recoil spring pressure. The barrel bushing was a very poor fit front-to-back, so I thought this is the cause.  It was protruding about a 1/16".  Had welders at work build up the lug so I could then fit.  Fits well now.  The slide was still not locking forward.  I thought at first I may have a barrel link problem, then I thought about it a bit and  I backed out the FLGR about a  1/16" decompressing the recoil spring and now the slide locks up good.
The sights are what I expected, old school.  I did notice that the front post does not fill the rear notch, only making about 2/3's visible in the sight picture.  I filed the bottom of the rear sight U so that that the front site fills the picture.   Then, well, while I am here, let's open up the rear sight side to side allowing much more light in.
Never heard of the penny trick, but I use Never Dull.  I lightly polished the feed ramp, chamber, follower and the exterior.
Took it out the the range and did well.  Only shot about 150 round of my reloads.  Only one extraction malfunction which I am going to attribute to limp-wristing it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
^continued
Painted a white dot on front sight, smoked the rear

Anyone remove the firing pin block?  I tried and no-go.  I was hitting hard and stopped.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Aim Surplus has mags listed now for $19.95 ea.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
^continued
Painted a white dot on front sight, smoked the rear
https://s18.postimg.org/3v9g8bg3d/20180223_183739.jpg

Anyone remove the firing pin block?  I tried and no-go.  I was hitting hard and stopped.
View Quote
dot looks good
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I resisted this for I suppose as long as I could, but broke down and ordered one this morning. I also ordered 2 mags from Aim Surplus for $19.95 each.  -- eta: the availability of which helped make the decision for me.

I have had the full-size version for a couple of years and it has been fun and flawless.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I love these.  My first semi auto pistol was a BKM I paid 110$ for when I was a teenager in the 80s.

I have only sold two guns in my life.
The BKM, and a S&W Model 15 combat masterpiece.   I was young and needed money.  The only other gun I have gotten rid of was a horrible aluminum framed HK91 clone.  I like the top railed but by 500 rounds it would heat up and the charging handle would freeze after a mag, and the groups were getting horrible.  I rebuilt it on a PTR receiver.  The first so I regret selling, and the third I am happy was rebuilt.

Anyways, it is not a modern combat handgun.  There are better designs for modern carry guns.  The mags don’t drop free.  While slim and small, much smaller options exist for the capacity.  The sights are suboptimal.  But they shoot great.

I saw on at the LGS in the clear plastic box with manual and cleaning rod.  You can walk out of a gun store for one with tax or transfer fee for under $250.
I am happy to have it and it’s is a nice trip down memory lane.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked mine up yesterday at the FFL.  Nice little gun with  nice 5.5 pound trigger.

Here's a pic of it with my full-size Star Super B I bought a little over 2 years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The loss of blueing on the grip was bugging me, so I thought I would give a go at cold blue.  I have used BC's in the past with mixed results, so I picked up some G96.  Big difference in product.  I did heat the metal up with a heat gun first.  Very dark with first application.  Dunno about durability though.
The right grip was cracked and worn, so I gorilla glued it then went crazy with a soldering iron.
I painted a couple of white dots on the rear.  PITA to get square, even after a few beers

I think a dark walnut checkered grip would be ideal though

ETA pic from before G96
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Got the mags from Classic...real good shape. Shipping is cheap, $3.99

Somebody stop me plz..
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Got the mags from Classic...real good shape. Shipping is cheap, $3.99

Somebody stop me plz..
https://s14.postimg.org/kcls4f181/20180309_094401.jpg
View Quote
looks good!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Will Mod B mags work in the Mod BM?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Not that I know of but I'm sure they could with a little bit of modification
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will Mod B mags work in the Mod BM?
View Quote
The mag for the Star Super B like the one I have in the picture several post above will not work with the BM. It is a little longer front to back.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The mag for the Star Super B like the one I have in the picture several post above will not work with the BM. It is a little longer front to back.
View Quote
Is this to accommodate 9mm Largo?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's certainly possible since that was the original chambering, but I really don't know for sure. All I know is that it is longer front back and will not fit in the BM.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#18]
A coworker purchased one in new condition for $240 through aim surplus. I like the way it felt. Naturally I drank a few glasses of bourbon and ordered this puppy for $200. Mine may come with a few scuffs and nicks. I didn’t realize until later that it only came with a single magazine and you could buy more separately. Oh well, it’s a throw down gun. I keep my Glock stuff stacked deep.

I bet it will be a fun gun for the cost.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#19]
In my hand, the beavertail edges are not radiused enough and felt sharp under recoil.  The hammer bit me a few times too.  I sold it off.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In my hand, the beavertail edges are not radiused enough and felt sharp under recoil.  The hammer bit me a few times too.  I sold it off.
View Quote
That's too bad.
My eurotrash hands are just right.
I didn't get bit by a Hi Power either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#21]
How do these compare in size to a cz compact or Glock 19?  Anyone have side by side pictures they would post.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#22]
No pics, but I owned both.  The Glock is oodles lighter, but  thicker and taller with that fat mag base.  Watch my video on YouTube (SnakeDoc) where I compare it to a Kahr CT9
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.  I was hoping someone would be bored enough to do that.  Trying to find my Dad an economical compact that is steel with a thumb safety.  Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Century has mags and so does Southern Ohio Gun.  J&G didn't?
View Quote
Last I looked Classic Arms had mags too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there a way to put a rounded hammer on it?
I prefer pistols that don't make people on both sides of it bleed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bobbed my hammer and rounded the edges a bit
View Quote
Pics
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I highly recommend the french walnut grips on ebay. I really like the way it turned out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I highly recommend the french walnut grips on ebay. I really like the way it turned out.
https://i.imgur.com/vMCAyfQ.jpg
View Quote
Have you shot it with those grips yet?
They definitely look better.  Curious if they are “grippier” then the factory ones.
My one real complaint about my Star BM is how much it moves around when shooting
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Check out http://www.grips4u.net

They have these walnut Star BM grips for $69.

Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 3 mags and an issue with one.
So, I ordered the 3 pack of +5% magazine springs from Wolff and a std recoil spring cuz I had the order coming anyway.
Mag springs are shaped a bit different.  The recoil spring is thicker and considerably longer than the one that came with the gun.

Took the gun with the newly installed springs to the range today and had a few failure to ejects from all mags initially.  Shot 150 or so rounds.  Fte stopped half way through.  I shoot reloads and have done so from a lot of different guns with no issue.  My loads have been the same for years.  Hoping the spring is breaking in.  It is considerably stouter to rack now compared to the original.
I have some factory stuff I will bring next time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
@bap

How weak was your stock recoil spring?

Mine seems to barely hold the barrel in with the slide off.
Super easy to rack the slide.

I’ve had some random fte/ftf issues with factory and relaoded ammo.

Thanks for any info.

Even with some minor issues it’s a great little pistol!!

I may put some grip tape on mine. Seems to move quite a bit in the hand between shots.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I never thought the recoil spring was weak...until I installed the Wolff.
Wolff says its std 12lb.
Who knows if the Spanish had different springs.  I doubt it.  They ran pretty stout 9mm as they were not a part of NATO when this was mfg.
The FTF of one of my problem mags has been cured though.  Curiously, the follower in that mag is a bit different than my other two.  I did modify it a bit to accommodate the wider new spring.  The original spring in that mag looked like something from ww1.

If you are not getting enough tension from the flgr, you could back out the threads a bit to get it ideal.  I posted about that some where above when I first got mine.

The gun does not seem to jump around in my hand as much now either.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I never thought the recoil spring was weak...until I installed the Wolff.
Wolff says its std 12lb.
Who knows if the Spanish had different springs.  I doubt it.  They ran pretty stout 9mm as they were not a part of NATO when this was mfg.
The FTF of one of my problem mags has been cured though.  Curiously, the follower in that mag is a bit different than my other two.  I did modify it a bit to accommodate the wider new spring.  The original spring in that mag looked like something from ww1.

If you are not getting enough tension from the flgr, you could back out the threads a bit to get it ideal.  I posted about that some where above when I first got mine.

The gun does not seem to jump around in my hand as much now either.
View Quote
Thanks for all the great info!

Heading over to the wolf springs site and putting together my order later today
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Just picked one of these up for my son to learn on. Haven't shot it yet but seems like a heck of a gun for $150. Wish I would of known about them when the super B's were available. Going to get some spare springs and mags for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wish I would of known about them when the super B's were available.
View Quote
Wish dealers would have priced the full size C&R guns like the BM's when they had em...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I was on the fence about one of these, then i found J&G had these listed as "good" for $150...

A drink or two and i found my self placing the order, opted for the extra mag...

I'm looking forward to receiving this thing!
It should go nicely with my other surplus pistols...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top