Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2017 6:20:12 PM EDT
I fell for the J&G trap and orders me two of them.

It looks like mags for it are non existent.

Do standard 1911 9mm mags for these pistols?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Century has mags and so does Southern Ohio Gun.  J&G didn't?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Only one per order.  $20.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one on e-bay a couple of weeks ago. It ended up costing me $50 with shipping but at least I have an extra mag now.

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I fell for the J&G trap and orders me two of them.

It looks like mags for it are non existent.

Do standard 1911 9mm mags for these pistols?
View Quote

@houstonmedic

Century has them for 15.95 if you have a dealers account (FFL 01 or C&R). They are $25 without.

https://www.centuryarms.com/ma751.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you sir!  I need a dealers account.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one on e-bay a couple of weeks ago. It ended up costing me $50 with shipping but at least I have an extra mag now.

Sarge
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody know where to buy wood grips? Saw one online for $55+shipping.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Aimsurplus said they will have spare mags next week. Check their industry section here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]
check for cracks at the rear of the safety relief notch in the slide.   many years ago when the last batch came in, many had this issue.  I drove up from Phoenix and replaced one at J&G's showroom.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#10]
FYI cheap source for mags from another forum:

"ProMag P6/225 mags do work and work perfectly with the following modifications:
curve catch slot more around side 1/8-1/4 inch (look at factory mags)
Open MAYBE 1-2mm of material off of TOP of catch slot.
Remove 1/8-1/4" from top front of plastic bottom (the bottom will side on with the mag inserted and locked, remove enough for it to do this)

Looking at top of mag, round edge away from you. Round the right side of the front round where it would be hitting the mag catch on the gun when inserted. This promotes better insertion as its a nice round edge instead of the flat sharp edge of the sheet metal.

total time maybe 15min per mag test fitting as I went"

LINK WITH PICS:

Promag P6 mag in Star BM
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Came here to ask about these pistols.

I'm not usually into the surplus stuff or even these style of pistols. Modern, striker fired guns have always been my thing.

However, something has me interested in these. Perhaps because they seem like an inexpensive, reliable handgun that could fit the bill for a 'truck gun?'

If I do order I'll probably just go through J&G and pick up 1 extra mag through them.

I'm doing my research online currently but what can you guys tell me about these pistols?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Perhaps because they seem like an inexpensive, reliable handgun that could fit the bill for a 'truck gun?'
View Quote
you really only want eight rounds in your truck gun?

Better off with an SD9VE or G22 trade in for the truck
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
and FYI, TSS has them in "good" condition with 2, yes TWO 8rd mags for $237.34 shipped

LINK HERE
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Double posted...
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps because they seem like an inexpensive, reliable handgun that could fit the bill for a 'truck gun?'

I'd buy a Pawn Shop Ruger P95 for $250. Saw TWO of them today, one blued, one stainless. Could probably find a used Canik for that money and I've seen M&P's for $300 as cop trade in guns recently. Much better choices out there, parts, mags, more reliable etc.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up one from J&G. great shooter. looking for more mags now. how much is southern ohio shipping rates?

and i didnt see them on the AIM site. anyone got a link?
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#17]
here is the one I just got, came with two mags...watch and see

Star BM 9mm "ggod" condition with two mags
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My bad, poor info and bad reading comprehension

Edited---BM dum dum :)
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Sold out now.  Figures they'd list them during the short interval where my credit cards weren't available due to an address change.

Any other sources?  Still nothing but crickets from Aim Surplus about extra mags.

I don't have a BM, but I do have a BKM (same as the BM but with an aluminum frame) I bought last year from a local auction place for under $200.  Came with two magazines but I think one of the mags is actually for a different firearm as the follower is different.

Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got one with 2 mags for $217 

star

Eta: $239 shipped
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sold out now.  Figures they'd list them during the short interval where my credit cards weren't available due to an address change.

Any other sources?  Still nothing but crickets from Aim Surplus about extra mags.

I don't have a BM, but I do have a BKM (same as the BM but with an aluminum frame) I bought last year from a local auction place for under $200.  Came with two magazines but I think one of the mags is actually for a different firearm as the follower is different.

https://i.imgur.com/Ba6ROdN.jpg
View Quote
supposedly the BKMs are shitty and prone to breaking frames
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Century charges 15 dollars to ship. 
View Quote
Get the Promag P225 mags and do the mod to make em work.  Seriously, they are like $17 shipped and are brand new mags
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#25]
got mine from classic

ordered 5 mags so I wouldnt have to worry

wish I saw the mod for the p225 mags first

should pick mine up today as well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
got mine from classic

ordered 5 mags so I wouldnt have to worry

wish I saw the mod for the p225 mags first

should pick mine up today as well.
View Quote
Just won a P225 mag on eBay for $9 shipped last night!
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#27]
picked  mine up today,  wasn't real pleased,  box is falling apart and it has lots of wear on it,  rattles like crazy,  I paid the extra 20 to get a hand select out of 10,  if this was the best one out of 10 the other 9 must have been rough guns.  I didn't expect to get a brand new one,  but based on the video I saw  there were some really nice looking pistols.

oh well,  guess it will have to do now.  I did remove the magazine disconnect and the magazines fall out freely.

and poster above me that's a great deal on the mag.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
picked  mine up today,  wasn't real pleased,  box is falling apart and it has lots of wear on it,  rattles like crazy,  I paid the extra 20 to get a hand select out of 10,  if this was the best one out of 10 the other 9 must have been rough guns.  I didn't expect to get a brand new one,  but based on the video I saw  there were some really nice looking pistols.

oh well,  guess it will have to do now.  I did remove the magazine disconnect and the magazines fall out freely.

and poster above me that's a great deal on the mag.
View Quote
I used to drive to SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) back in the surplus days.  I found out how they did hand select.  I thought they sorted out all the guns and placed the best aside for the customers who paid the extra $20

Not even close.  Instead of grabbing one box and shipping it out they opened up 3 sight unseen and the best one of the three was the one you got.   Never paid the extra again
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I used to drive to SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) back in the surplus days.  I found out how they did hand select.  I thought they sorted out all the guns and placed the best aside for the customers who paid the extra $20

Not even close.  Instead of grabbing one box and shipping it out they opened up 3 sight unseen and the best one of the three was the one you got.   Never paid the extra again
View Quote
 roger that
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, come on. It has been known for years that all the surplus sellers take a "best of 5" type approach to hand pick. Many of them post that on their pages. You cannot expect a seller to go through all of their inventory to find you the best available one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just got one with 2 mags for $217 

star

Eta: $239 shipped
View Quote
I just bought from these guys as well.
239 shipped to my FFL.

How did yours come @hkmp5s
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Century charges 15 dollars to ship. 
View Quote
Bought 3, 3.99 to ship to AZ.
So with Midwest Guns, it will be 5 mags total for $300 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
A little dirty and worn but not bad. The front sight is worn from going in and out of the holster that kinda sucks. When you clean it with the grips off be careful of the safety. If you move it too far the detent and spring will go flying. Anybody know where I can find a new detent and spring lol. Seriously that shits gone, any ideas please.

ETA: Ive been told the safety spring and plunger from a sig p238 will work. I have them on order and will update when I have them in.

Eta: It works. I forgot I own a p238, I robbed the parts from it to check and its a 100% match.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Good info^^^, Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#35]
In one of the recent video's about the Star, the guy is using a Penny to help clean up the frame.
Yeah, a penny.

In all my years, I've never seen someone use a penny, with no lube, to remove crud or light surface rust.
He mentions a certain year too, since not all current penny's are actually copper, and I think thats this point.

Any truth to this?
And what year penny am I looking for now to clean my new Star?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Pennies made before '82 are 95% copper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In one of the recent video's about the Star, the guy is using a Penny to help clean up the frame.
Yeah, a penny.

In all my years, I've never seen someone use a penny, with no lube, to remove crud or light surface rust.
He mentions a certain year too, since not all current penny's are actually copper, and I think thats this point.

Any truth to this?
And what year penny am I looking for now to clean my new Star?
View Quote
Yeah, that is me, and if you YouTube search it, lots of people do it.  And I do mention the year in the video too.  Watch it again, like, and subscribe ;)
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#38]
here is my review and some shooting video of my pistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZhS2qqdWWs&t=2s
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS ...   ALL DAY LONG...  

BM = crappy sights, low capacity, and non-weather resistant finish...
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought my Star BM more for fun range gun.  I agree with the Glock, M&P/SVD, or Springfield XD making a better truck gun.  Mine is purely for grins at the range.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Modified a Sig 225 mag to work in the BM. I got the 10 round off ebay. had to open up the mag release opening a bit and contoured the edge that hits the mag catch when inserted. 100% function

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
these are back in stock for 19.99 as of this post
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#43]
been using the penny trick for over a decade, best way to remove light corrosion and any stuck on crud that won't easily remove.  mint switched from copper partway through 1982 so all pre 82 pennies are copper.

BTW, it used to be any handgun for under $300 was automatic truck gun consideration, but things have gotten so cheap lately that these BMs are more for the retro collector.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I just ordered one from AIM this morning.  I also ordered two extra mags from classic.  I like the look, all steel construction, and why the hell not.  This isn't a truck gun for me, this is a want.  I'll post back when it comes in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I got the Star on 1-18-20 from my FFL which happens to be my employer, so I am in to the gun for $214.99.  I took it home and cleaned it.  There was a ring of dried oil/crud under each of the plastic grips.  The barrel was not bad, seems to have plenty of life left(confirmed at the range on the 19th).  The magazine is the type that has longitudinal cut outs and I found a ball of compressed pocket lint floating around in there.
The overall finish was as expected.  Holster wear on all the edges and high spots.  The front and rear grip was completely free of blue finish but had the rust patina.  Not rust really but not blue either.  The slide, just under the ejection port has a ding on the top edge.  Actually worried me a bit, but it didn't cause any stoppages or failure to eject.  I shot 350 rounds of 115 and 124 grain hollow point as well as FMJ..  Remington,Winchester, PPu.  Not one issue.

The trigger is good, nice reset, the gun shot where I pointed, repeatable and consistent.

I broke it down when I got home and de-greased the entire pistol with acetone and buffed the front and rear grips with 0000 steel wool.  I heated the components with a heat gun and used a cold blue on the bare and shiny spots.  It didn't turn out as nice as I was hoping, but it's perfect for my garage gun.

I did order a set of grips from 4sgrips, and 2 more magazines from Classic.  Aim was out of stock on magazines when I purchased the pistol.  So now add another 70 bucks to the original price .

I am just under the $300.00 mark, and I know I could have a SD9VE for that price.  Hell I get 20% off of retail on firearms  from work.  But I didn't want another polymer striker fired pistol.  I wanted something different, and that is what I got.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I did order a set of grips from 4sgrips, and 2 more magazines from Classic.
View Quote
Would like to see a pic with the new grips.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#48]
>>I also ordered two extra mags from classic<<

I've ordered several from Classic now and they've all arrived in very good condition. A good buy for the money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#49]
just ordered one from guns midwest it comes with 2 mags!

cant wait

like most of you, im bored with the same striker fired polys out there.

growing up on 1911s i was really craving a steel 9mm 1911...

but didnt want to pony up mega dollars.

all the reviews have been positive so wth
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I have grip screws,  ordered them from Amazon

the ones that came with mine were nasty rusty,  and a set of grips to
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top