Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 4:58:53 PM EDT
So Im looking at buying another 380 for use should my P238 ever let me down, or be out for repair. The Thunder is attractive to me as its a metal frame and comes in a double stack, also being a PPKish firearm I am very familiar with it (have a PPK in 22LR and a few Makarovs). Also the price point is nice, but are they a good reliable firearm?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had many Bersa Thunders come across my line over the years. Some were brand new out of the box and some were very used and everything inbetween.

The new ones were a little stiff with the controls and the slide, and the older ones all seemed to have a problem with the slide locking back on the last round.

Other than that I've found them to be reliable and fairly accurate for what they are.

I prefer a Sig P232 but if the Bersa is in your price range it wouldn't be a bad choice IMO.

Hope this helps.

-Joe
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, I'd personally go .380 Mak or CZ83 if you have to have a .380
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I'd go with the lcp 2 over anything, I shot and handled the bersa and and the lcp 2 (chose the lcp 2 after shooting about 7 other small .380's). The bersa is a heavier and worse for Pocket carry. But if regular cc is what you want then more power to you, go with the bersa.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They're good guns. Extra mags are expensive unless you go single stack which mecgar now makes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I like them.  Never had a problem with mine.

Stick with the all black model.  The finish on the duo-tone doesn't hold up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The frames have had cracks, from what I have read, at high round counts.

I bought a combat model for the wife.  I freaking shoot that gun great.  I love it.

Can't complain at all at the price point. If I didn't have a PPK I'd buy another.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, I'd personally go .380 Mak or CZ83 if you have to have a .380
View Quote
I had a CZ83.  Fabulous pistol but very heavy for caliber.

I have a Bersa Thunder.  Mine's about 15 years old and it's been flawless.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
"Gun Tests" tested one and they actually rated it quite high.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Pros: price and accuracy

Cons: it’s a 380 but I found it to be quite large, and heavy, plenty of smaller 380’s out there heck plenty of relatively smaller guns in 9mm.

Single stack

Expensive magazines

Very sensitive to limp wristing, I had constant ftf and fte (It was my first gun, i learned to shoot with it so that might explain some of the malfunctions related to limp wristing)

Snappy recoil, to the point where it was unpleasant to shoot after a couple dozen rounds

The hammer on mine broke while at the range.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
they are cheap quality in terms of the metal itself.  they are accurate and fun to shoot.  fixes all the problems with the ppk.  the transfer bar spring can break if the magazine safety bar is left in the gun.  it puts too much strain on the transfer bar spring.  if your going to carry one buy two.  one to shoot one to carry.  shoot mayba a hundred or so rounds out of your carry bersa then never shoot it again unless you need it for defense.   use the second one for range practice.  they are that prone to breakage.  some will go for long time with no issues most break with a few hundred to few thousand rounds.  most people however dont shoot that much 380.  

my opinion get a ruger lcp2  much better gun.

i own an lcp 2, 2 thunders, 1 thunder plus, and beretta 84.   out of all my 380's  the beretta is hands down the best shooter but the ruger is a better pocket rocket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It was my very first gun.

I ended up getting rid of it because
1) It was a 380.
2) There are smaller/lighter options.
3) There are better options for not much more.
4) Not many aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
They are large and heavy for a 380, you can get 9mm that are both lighter and smaller. I have one in my truck for a carry gun after work. It will soon be replaced by my P3AT as I just bought a Ruger LCP.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one that I have been quite happy with.  Super accurate and so far really dependable.  Actually came indirectly from another member here on the forum.  Great little gun albeit a little heavy.  I had issues with the slide release not locking back that turned out to be a magazine issue.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd save my money and buy a product from a company with US .mil or police contracts, but that's just me.

I've never seen one make it through a vigorous pistol class.

As mentioned above with the "broken hammer" comment, top grade metal in a weapon is kinda critical.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody have any experience with the Thunder in .22LR?
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the Safety is in reverse to your SIG .. Which I dont like.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Been eye balling a couple used Thunder 380's at LGS.  Its for my wife, I like the Bersa 380 for the decocker. Less concern about the trigger, and don't want a safety on her gun, or the pull weight of a glock42 trigger, which I already own anway. Walther P99C has a decocker also and is a lower priced (9mm), but its a larger and thicker EDC. Might have to go to a small revolver for her.

Question: The LGS's  2 used 380's serial numbers, one specimen starts with a number "7...." and the other starts with a letter "G....".  Is either one more desirable?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes they are good pistols. They shoot well and are accurate. I have a Bersa Thunder Plus in 380. The only draw back as a carry is they are 1.30" wide for a carry in both the 8 and 15 round versions. Since they are sold as carry's I was a little disappointed. No aftermarket grips for the Plus fat rubber grip and they have no plans to make any. Who the fuck knows why? They also have an external trigger link back to the hammer assembly. Weird but does not seem to catch on anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked a used one a couple months back.  It is the Concealed Carry Nickel finished model.  Almost no sights.

I love the gun.  Pulls out of the pocket with out any snagging on anything. I told my buddy it was like pulling a stick of butter out of your pocket.

I can hit a small pie plate with it almost point shooting at 15 feet from a draw rapid fire.  9 shots.

Very reliable gun
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 2 little Bersas - a Thunder 380 (single stack) & a Thunder Plus (double stack).
Cons: finish is meager, prone to rust, trigger lock out with mag removed AND firearm lock, mag release is sensitive on Thunder Plus - easy to accidently release the mag
Pros: shoots well, reliable, PPK format but better shooter than my PPK, underrated firearm imho. Probably the nicest shooting small 380 I've used aside from my (larger) Beretta Cheetah.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Do not FO.

They’re problem children if run hard.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine is flawless.  Ditched the mag safety
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought the Bersa Thunder Combat Plus from a member here. The thing is stupid accurate prolly because of its fixed barrel, and is very fun to shoot. I love carrying it as its always comfortable and I always have 17 rounds if need be for a real bad day. Fast follow up shots can be done with amazing accuracy. Lots of people talk negative about them, but those are the same people who have never shot them. To be clear, i'm a Glock guy, but ever since buying the Bersa, I prefer the feel of the gun better. The decocker is a great feature, and is nice to carry with. I have had many friends and other instructors try it out to be wowed and highly surprised by what its capable of. Fire it one handed, strong or weak hand and there's no issues. I have even tried inducing a failure by limp wristing which could not be achieved. Honestly for the price point, I am surprised this gun isn't in most peoples safe. I HIGHLY recommend buying one, you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the bersa thunder 380, and also the mini firestorm 45. Both are great guns. In hindsight I would've like to have more mag capacity but they are really great for the money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I've looked at them off and on for a while, but they seem really heavy and chunky for what they are.
I have a Glock 42 and love it.  
If I get another .380 it'll probably be the LCP 2.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anybody have any experience with the Thunder in .22LR?
View Quote
I just bought one. From every review I've read, they heavily prefer CCI minimags and other HV ammo.
Sooner or later, I hope to have time enough to find out for myself.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I like mine. I don't carry it; just wanted a 380 and this was big enough to be comfortable, but not too heavy like the CZ.
I shoot mostly cast reloads through it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#28]
We have both the Thunder 22 and Thunder 380.  Good for the wife since she can practice with the 22 more and is able to comfortably operate/control the Thunder 380.  The rear sight leaf of the Thunder 380 fell off and lost at the range.  I called Bersa and they sent me replacement parts free of charge.

Yg
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We have both the Thunder 22 and Thunder 380.  Good for the wife since she can practice with the 22 more and is able to comfortably operate/control the Thunder 380.  The rear sight leaf of the Thunder 380 fell off and lost at the range.  I called Bersa and they sent me replacement parts free of charge.

Yg
View Quote
That's great, YG!

They have their little quirks but they are good guns.

Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#30]
i have a full size bersa thunder pro in 40s&w and never had any issues. mags are expensive and its pretty heavy but shoots well
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I just bought one. From every review I've read, they heavily prefer CCI minimags and other HV ammo.
Sooner or later, I hope to have time enough to find out for myself.
View Quote
I've read somewhere, possibly here, that bullet weight has more effect on reliability than velocity. Supposedly 40gn ammo is gtg, lighter weight not so much.

Hope to test that soon as I have the threaded barrel version on order.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I have two. They don't have a ton of rounds on them(maybe 5-600 on one and a little more on the other one) but they eat anything I have fed them. Ball, hollow points, my reloads have all gone bang. They are heavy for a .380.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have two. They don't have a ton of rounds on them(maybe 5-600 on one and a little more on the other one) but they eat anything I have fed them. Ball, hollow points, my reloads have all gone bang. They are heavy for a .380.
View Quote
I would like to find one in 32 ACP.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I just picked uo a Bersa 85 for $200 on Gun Broker.
It's a double stack like the Thunder Plus. The only drawback
is it's almost impossible to find magazines for.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#36]
You can sign up for email notification for the Bersa mags.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bersa-thunder-380-plus-380-acp-15-round-magazine.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a blue .380 from a coworker last week, who told me it had feeding problems. Once I stripped it and cleaned off a pile of crud in it, I lubed it and went to the range. It fired about 200 rds of Monarch ball and JHPs through it with zero malfunctions. Nice and accurate, but damn, that slide bit out a piece of my support thumb when it cycled.

Overall, very happy with the purchase which will likely go to a daughter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Same here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
I grabbed one of the Beretta 81s that came in to scratch that itch. Nice gun; think I'll get a 380 barrel for it too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#39]
My friend's son just bought a Bersa Thunder Plus. I have a few questions. Does it take the same holsters as the standard unit? At what round count do problems tend to appear?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Amen.  Me, too!!!

As far as the .380 Thunder goes, it's a gun that is meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.  They are VERY good guns but do have a limited service life.

Buy one, clean and oil then test for 2 or 3 hundred rounds.  If all goes well, test your carry ammo next.....then clean it and carry it and shoot it sparingly.  It will last a good long while as a carry gun if treated right.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#41]
nevermind asked a few months ago
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As far as the .380 Thunder goes, it's a gun that is meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.  They are VERY good guns but do have a limited service life.
View Quote
where did you hear this ^^^?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

where did you hear this ^^^?
View Quote
There are plenty of reports of "high mileage" Bersas cracking frames out there. I've read them on this very forum in the past. Interestingly, they also often still seem to run after cracking.  I personally wouldn't be inclined to keep using one in that shape.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#44]
At the price it's OK if they die after 20k rounds or so.
I mostly shoot mild reloads with cast bullets; don't really expect to wear it out.

I wonder if a buffer would lengthen the life of the frame?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top