Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2017 9:53:32 PM EDT
It was bought new, not a used purchase. I've fired 350 rounds of only FMJ Winchester White Box and Federal.  I sent it back for work and I will say they were quick and paid shipping both ways.

Tonight I took the weapon out again and it was jamming worse than before, even with a new extractor.

I'm a former Military Police Lieutenant back before the Army went with the 9mm, so I know how to use the 1911 series.  

Has anyone else had any trouble with their .45s?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Compact 1911s are known to be picky about recoil spring weight, due to the balance between slowing down slide velocity enough to avoid battering the frame, and ensuring proper operation. What kind of failures are you experiencing?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The weapon cycles almost complete.  It isn't full into battery, so a gentle push on the slide puts it back into battery.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My fiancee also has an RIA compact; hers did that quite a bit for its first couple hundred rounds. I believe that it has mostly stopped; I guess it was part of the break-in period.

If the slide is not going fully into battery, you may want to try a slightly heavier recoil spring to give the slide enough forward velocity to return to battery. I may be wrong, but that is my first guess for a parts solution.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What magazines are you using?  I have a full size and Wilson Combat 47D work but Chip McCormick mags jammed.  That could be an issue as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What magazines are you using?  I have a full size and Wilson Combat 47D work but Chip McCormick mags jammed.  That could be an issue as well.

Good luck!
View Quote
I only use Rock Island factory mags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely get some CMC or Wilson mags and run the gun well-lubed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I too have had bad luck with CMC's. Wilson's have been flawless, but mine is a 5". I would also be tempted to try a slightly heavier rebound spring. Compact 1911's can be finicky 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The RIA magazines are kind of hit and miss from the factory.  So definitely try with new mags.  My first 1911 was a RIA and did the same thing out of the box.  It was a mix of break in and mags.

Also I'd say it sounds like break in is needed.  Take the recoil spring and guide rod out (if your model has a rod) thumb the hammer back, and move the slide through a full motion.  Straight up like it should be shot and tilted 90 to either side.  Mentally note anywhere that slows down or feels like it is binding/dragging.  

Personally I just take some flitz, put it on the rails, and then cycle the bastard ~50-75 times.  It's not aggressive enough to remove real amounts of metal (particle size is 3.5 micron or so.  Simichrome is 8-10 micron) but it will smooth out the high spots a bit.

That said, this is the internet, do your own research, I make no warranty on doing the above action, your milage may vary, if your erection lasts longer than four hours please see your doctor, take a grain of salt with this post, etc.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My full size tactical was stiff when new. I have some fine lapping compound I put on the rails and worked it. Also cleaned edges on the slide lock. My mag release was stiff. I replaced that. It actually caused some mags not to work. I run Act mags, Metal form, Wilsons mostly.

Im wanting to find a RIA Compact local.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
How well lubed was it?

How's the extractor tensioned?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one and changed all the springs to Wilson and polished the feed ramp and barrel throat (they were pretty rough) before I put a round through it. It ran just as good as my colt commander.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bummer. Mine ran like a top. I kept her well lubed and used heavy ammo. Upgrading the mags might help.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree, shorties are finicky.  I won't own one.  I had a Wilson Combat Officer length with a bull barrel that would not run reliably.  I usually start with a ramp job, recoil spring kit, and then change the ejector with an extended one.  Then I can tune the length of the extension until things are good.  This has worked for me on Commander and full length.  I dumped the Wilson in pretty short order, too finicky.  

Agree with running it wet.  Run light viscosity oil.  Sewing machine oil, Rem oil, CLP, etc, until it runs correctly.  You may want to just buy a Wilson bulletproof extractor and get that one out of the picture.  Youtubes should have a video on extractor tuning.  It is pretty easy.  

When I have a 1911 that takes a bit too much to get running, I don't keep it long.  Somehow I know it will let me down when I need it most.  It is fun working on them.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had bad luck with compacts. I tried it again. Instead of paying for all the bells and whistles I bought this Rock. The damn thing runs like a clock. It shot that crappy dirty Federal aluminum cased stuff without a problem. Also ran some perfecta brass through it. Im happy. It has a pretty damned good trigger also. I changed the grips.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, any progress?  Enquiring minds and all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Precisely my RIA experience. Problems.  Sent in.  Came back with same or worse.

Remington commercial .45acp 230 hardball.  Stovepipes, double feeds, no eject, falling out from under replaced extractor using a factory installed but different recoil spring.  Had factory and Wilson mags.  Experience sucked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top