Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 9:13:50 PM EDT
Been doing some research on these. Thought I might add an older model to my collection. Looking for some expertise on these pistols. Here's some information on one I've been researching:

I'm looking at a Model B, proof mark is the Flaming Circle with a P inside of it. This proof mark is on the flat of the left side of the trigger guard and on the left side of the slide above the safety.

The proof mark year is 1945 designated by the P.

Moving onto serial numbers. The serial number under the butt is "237865" with a B above it indicating the Model Number. There is another "serial number" on the front of the grip using the dotted type engraving. It is engraved as such "SER: B2237865" Note the extra 2 that is different from the single 2 on the butt. Is there supposed to be a serial number on the slide? I've seen them on some models but not on others.

I don't see any import marks unless the dotted serial number on the front of the grip was done by an importer.

Also, there is no engravings on the right side of the frame. Is this correct for this year and model?

Any help would be appreciated. I used the references found on this forum, S&W Forum and 1911 Forum. Any additional references?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been doing some research on these. Thought I might add an older model to my collection. Looking for some expertise on these pistols. Here's some information on one I've been researching:

I'm looking at a Model B, proof mark is the Flaming Circle with a P inside of it. This proof mark is on the flat of the left side of the trigger guard and on the left side of the slide above the safety.

The proof mark year is 1945 designated by the P.

Moving onto serial numbers. The serial number under the butt is "237865" with a B above it indicating the Model Number. There is another "serial number" on the front of the grip using the dotted type engraving. It is engraved as such "SER: B2237865" Note the extra 2 that is different from the single 2 on the butt. Is there supposed to be a serial number on the slide? I've seen them on some models but not on others.

I don't see any import marks unless the dotted serial number on the front of the grip was done by an importer.

Also, there is no engravings on the right side of the frame. Is this correct for this year and model?

Any help would be appreciated. I used the references found on this forum, S&W Forum and 1911 Forum. Any additional references?
View Quote

Probably Century Arms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, turns out it was Century.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Model Star B, based on the "P" on the frame a 1945. I'll post some pics tomorrow, but would like some information on the following markings that I can't find in any of the Star references or I'm just overlooking:

The first is the letter "G" on the firing pin plate above the firing pin.
The other is the letter "F" on the frame under the left hand grip.

Also, the grips on this pistol are very worn, but I really like the look. I don't want new grips but want to preserve them from any further deterioration. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Found out that those markings are proof marks by workers, inspectors or the like, but no way of finding out who, where, etc, unlike a U.S. 1911.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my model B runs great don't use plus P stick to standard pressure loads.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a great fan of the Star handguns. For a long time the PD was the only subcompact .45 that I trusted.

I seem to recall the Model B firing pins are a little fragile, and may break due to dry firing. Also, I would stick to standard pressure 9mm.

I have a number of Stars, ranging from a 20's vintage Modelo Militar up through a 10mm Megastar.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
i have a few m43 firestars great shooting little guns one starvel and a black one they were ahead of there time and came with a lot of features.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i have a few m43 firestars great shooting little guns one starvel and a black one they were ahead of there time and came with a lot of features.
View Quote
Ditto. I have an M43 Firestar in 9mm. In 1991 it receieved the Handgun of the Year award from Guns & Ammo Magazine, so yes, they were certainly ahead of their time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top