Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 12:34:35 AM EDT
Was checking out a local auction house online the other week and saw that they had a Star Model BKM listed.

I put in my maximum bid and wound up winning it for $181 last week.  Came with two magazines and the case.  Pulled the grips, found the proof marks and it looks like it's a 1975 manufacture.

Took it to the range this morning and put 50 rounds through it.  It was very accurate although it shoots about 4 to 5 inches higher than it should.  Also could not get more than 2 or 3 rounds to fire without a failure to feed with ball ammo.  The usual tap-rack-bang seemed to work for that each time.  I guessing that it's maybe in need of a new recoil spring?

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet deal!!!

For the sights, what distance were you shooting at? being an older design sometimes they are set up for a 6 o'clock hold, or other times registered for POA/POI at 50 yards. 

For the cycling issues, springs are a good place to start anyways, but also check for burrs and worn spots mushrooming on any of the moving parts, and the areas they sweep.  Was having that problem on my STAR D/ FI Pony and it turned out to be a burr that formed on the legs of the barrel that hold the barrel link. Didn't look like anything, but only moving the link by hand showed it was hitting.  Filed it smooth and the return to battery problems went away. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The evidence marking on the front of the slide is a nice touch!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
A coworker had one that would bulge the shit out of most cases.  His feed ramp may have been excessively modified.  

It would be something to watch out for.  Every Corbon he would fire would ruin the case.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet deal!!!

For the sights, what distance were you shooting at? being an older design sometimes they are set up for a 6 o'clock hold, or other times registered for POA/POI at 50 yards. 

For the cycling issues, springs are a good place to start anyways, but also check for burrs and worn spots mushrooming on any of the moving parts, and the areas they sweep.  Was having that problem on my STAR D/ FI Pony and it turned out to be a burr that formed on the legs of the barrel that hold the barrel link. Didn't look like anything, but only moving the link by hand showed it was hitting.  Filed it smooth and the return to battery problems went away. 
View Quote

Was just shooting at about 7 to 10 yards.  I had been wondering about that... about it being sighted for a longer range.  Once the holidays are over and I've got a little more time, I'll pick up a replacement recoil spring from Wolf's.  I'll check the barrel again for burrs.  Didn't notice any when I took it apart the other day.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
What weight bullet were you shooting? You might try a lighter bullet and see if it hits closer to POA.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What weight bullet were you shooting? You might try a lighter bullet and see if it hits closer to POA.
View Quote

It was whatever the range sells.  Mag-Tech.  Not sure of the weight but it was probably a 115gr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top