Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2016 12:06:55 PM EDT
My latest pet-project. A replica of the very first pistol I ever owned....(when it was gifted to me at 16)

It's an F.I.E Titan mouse-gun in .25 ACP. If I recall...it holds 7 rounds of that devastating round in the magazine.....and one in the chamber. Blow-back design...Single-action only.

Snagged it for the low price of $50. It should arrive at my LGS by Saturday. I can't wait to begin the restoration!

BONUS: I still have the grips i carved when I was 16 (32 years ago!) out of a solid piece of walnut! They will definitely be going on it!

Not much to anyone else....but it makes me smile!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That is actually kinda cool, nostalgia and all.  Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, definitely not what I expected clicking on this but awesome job on the grips, especially for the age you did it at!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, definitely not what I expected clicking on this but awesome job on the grips, especially for the age you did it at!
View Quote

Indeed, those grips look 87% better than anything I could hope to make.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Here it is! Back from Cerakote and the original hand-carved walnut grips I made 32 years ago....

Took the Titan out to run some ammo through it.....just to work all the parts back in (that Cerakote tightens up clearances quite a bit...and needs a few hundred cycles to "wear in"). During the first 10-15 rounds, I got the expected: failure to return to battery. Ejection and feeding seemed fine. I believe it was the mating surfaces between the slide and frame. After 20 rounds....the issue disappeared completely....and the action felt MUCH smoother! The places where the Cerakote was wearing....probably shouldn't have it there anyway! ;)

The little mouse-gun has some decent accuracy. Towards the end, I was shooting 2 1/2 inch groups at 10 yds (see photo)....although, it is shooting just a bit to the right. (however, I'm left-handed....and the fact that this pistol IS so small... I may be pulling my shots with my trigger finger.

The only other modifications I have made were to the trigger and the slide where the two pass over each other as the slide travels rearward. I smoothed-out and rounded the contact surfaces a good bit to cut down on friction. The function is LOADS smoother!

All-in-all...I'm tickled to death at how well it shoots and looks! I'll keep you all posted as things develop!

PIC GOODNESS:

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it.  Sometimes it's just about having fun and not ridiculous SHTF Doomsday scenarios.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like it.  Sometimes it's just about having fun and not ridiculous SHTF Doomsday scenarios.
View Quote

I agree completely!
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]
looks great! I recently got to play with one of these and was gifted a Lorcin chrome version of something similar. If it runs 100%, we'll do something with it. If not, fun range toy.

I have a better chance getting my wife to carry that than a 1911 like I enjoy, but having something is still better than having nothing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#8]
cool, cool, and cool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a neat little .25!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool!

I had one of those back in the late 80's or so. I was saving up for a Beretta .25acp and picked one up for cheap. Could produce nice 4-5" groups at 4-5 feet. :)
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a nostalgic weakness for these little mouse guns too. I have a couple of FIE made, one is the "pimp"version with gold colored controls,lol. Have several others I've bought through the years. They are fun range guns, for sure. edit to add-nice job on the walnut grips!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Very cool story & pistol.  

It brought back a memory from 1968 for me.  I was in Corvallis Oregon as an Oregon State student. I went to a drug store to buy cough syrup for a cold I had and spotted this in another display case.

Bought both the gun and the medicine.  Can't remember how much the N.I.B. Colt was, all I recall it was cheap enough that I bought it on the spot.  No tax, no paperwork... pre-68 gun control.

Don't remember when I sold it... maybe early '70s.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice job.

You should really be proud of that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice. I have one of the Titans in chrome. Makes a nice little backup piece.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#15]
if i ever see one of these for under $100 im going to buy it
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My latest pet-project. A replica of the very first pistol I ever owned....(when it was gifted to me at 16)

It's an F.I.E Titan mouse-gun in .25 ACP. If I recall...it holds 7 rounds of that devastating round in the magazine.....and one in the chamber. Blow-back design...Single-action only.

Snagged it for the low price of $50. It should arrive at my LGS by Saturday. I can't wait to begin the restoration!

http://i.imgur.com/wUEvnzH.jpg

BONUS: I still have the grips i carved when I was 16 (32 years ago!) out of a solid piece of walnut! They will definitely be going on it!

http://i.imgur.com/d8tLdP5.jpg

Not much to anyone else....but it makes me smile!
View Quote
Now, here's the funny thing: I bought a chromed .25 Raven in the mid-80's for $50 new. Played with it for several years, dropped in into a DEEP rock quarry lake (long story!) and yet still managed to sell it for EXACTLY $50!

That Cerakote makes yours look great, OP. Fun little mousegun!
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Those are fun little guns.  They used to sell new around that price back in the 1980's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top