Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2016 12:36:56 AM EDT
Hello Ladies & Gents,

I think I'm set on a Canik TP9...just trying to figure out if I should go with the V1 or V2?

I've always liked the Walther P99 AS, but don't want to pay $650 for it (actually, I want the Euro version with the extended mag release and slide release, so it's more like $800-$900 IIRC) and it seems like the Canik TP9 DA/SA V1 & V2 is a more affordable P99.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the DA/SA TP9 V1 or V2?  I'm looking for any and all feedback on the firearm (especially would like to know if you have to have gorilla hands in order to reach the trigger )!

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
SF is what you seek.  wait a week until they are out
page 11 in the catalog
http://centuryarms.biz/2016Catalog/2016Catalog.pdf
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I just recently picked up a TP9SA.  You don't need huge hands at all.  I haven't put a ton of rounds down range with it yet but so far I really like it.  I got it for a cheap truck gun and I think it will be perfect for the roll.  I couldn't have asked for more at it's price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SF is what you seek.  wait a week until they are out
page 11 in the catalog
http://centuryarms.biz/2016Catalog/2016Catalog.pdf
View Quote

Thanks for the link, dw!  I think I want the DA/SA version...like the P99 AS.  Hoping they come out with it in a cerakote desert version.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just recently picked up a TP9SA.  You don't need huge hands at all.  I haven't put a ton of rounds down range with it yet but so far I really like it.  I got it for a cheap truck gun and I think it will be perfect for the roll.  I couldn't have asked for more at it's price.
View Quote

that's great to hear!  I think I'll probably pick up the DA/SA version as I have always like the P99 AS system.  I know it's not necessary, but I like having the second strike capability and the long DA pull if I'm carrying one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Can someone give me a heads up on the best place (or places) to purchase the TP9 V1 or V2???
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can someone give me a heads up on the best place (or places) to purchase the TP9 V1 or V2???
View Quote

Using a commonly used nomenclature would help you get answers.

Are you referring to the TP9SA as V1 and the TP9v2 as V2, or are you thinking of the original TP9 when you say V1?

Forrest

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you referring to the TP9SA as V1 and the TP9v2 as V2, or are you thinking of the original TP9 when you say V1?

Forrest

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

Good point.  I'm going off of this:

TP9 V1 = Original TP9 DA/SA
TP9 V2 = Newest TP9 DA/SA
TP9SA = TP9SA
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I paid 339.00 for my TP9sa at a local gun store. Century has 20rd mags available now for 31.00.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
^^^ which was free via rebate until a few days ago...
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
TP9SF in stock at various places.  Latest version
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/HG3358N
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW I personally do not trust the TP9V2. I have had many failures to fire 9mm NATO (Winchester and ZQI) through those guns (yes, I'm talking more than just one here). Light primer strikes--a lot of them. Didn't matter if the gun was fired from the decocked in DA mode, in the AS (Anti-Stress like P99) mode or just SA. For whatever reason they just can't seem to to reliably hit the primer hard enough to ignite it. It doesn't happen every round, or every magazine even, but it is almost every other mag that at least 1-3 rounds (or more) fail to to fire due to a light strike.

Ordinarily I doubt think I'd make such a big deal out of a gun not liking very much a particular type of ammo, and in fairness the CCI, Speer, and other non-NATO spec ammo I've fired through the gun has all been fine, but not for nothing, this pistol is supposedly good enough to be carried by NATO forces and been tested extensively and all of that, and to see it have such problems with relatively plain, unexotic 9mm NATO FMJ ammo is pretty disappointing to say the least...not exactly a "Go to War" pistol as you will sometimes hear it labeled...it just doesn't inspire confidence with me. I realize some NATO rounds might have harder primers than normal commercial ammo, but I have had zero issues firing the same ammo through other striker-fired guns like the Glock and XD9 pistols (both the originals and the Mod 2). Also, The TP9SA in contrast to the V2, overall has worked very reliably in over 1500 rounds, with the NATO stuff as well as basically anything else I could put in it. A few light strikes that might have been in part due to the gun being so dirty, but otherwise no problems...strange.  

I really like the Walther P99 DA/SA Anti-Stress system because of the options you have for carrying the gun, and the triggers themselves are excellent with an extremely short reset but my personal experience just has not created an atmosphere of trust in the V2 versions of the Canik TP pistols. I have not fired or owned the discontinued original DA/SA Canik TP9 pistol so I cannot speak to its reliability or durability one way or the other.

This is just my experience with the V2 guns...not saying one won't work for you, but just offering one truthful take that stands in contrast to all of the flowery-these-guns-are-perfect-and-never-have-problems videos (and in many cases paid endorsements) that you'll find on Youtube and elsewhere.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW I personally do not trust the TP9V2. I have had many failures to fire 9mm NATO (Winchester and ZQI) through those guns (yes, I'm talking more than just one here). Light primer strikes--a lot of them. Didn't matter if the gun was fired from the decocked in DA mode, in the AS (Anti-Stress like P99) mode or just SA. For whatever reason they just can't seem to to reliably hit the primer hard enough to ignite it. It doesn't happen every round, or every magazine even, but it is almost every other mag that at least 1-3 rounds (or more) fail to to fire due to a light strike.

Ordinarily I doubt think I'd make such a big deal out of a gun not liking very much a particular type of ammo, and in fairness the CCI, Speer, and other non-NATO spec ammo I've fired through the gun has all been fine, but not for nothing, this pistol is supposedly good enough to be carried by NATO forces and been tested extensively and all of that, and to see it have such problems with relatively plain, unexotic 9mm NATO FMJ ammo is pretty disappointing to say the least...not exactly a "Go to War" pistol as you will sometimes hear it labeled...it just doesn't inspire confidence with me. I realize some NATO rounds might have harder primers than normal commercial ammo, but I have had zero issues firing the same ammo through other striker-fired guns like the Glock and XD9 pistols (both the originals and the Mod 2). Also, The TP9SA in contrast to the V2, overall has worked very reliably in over 1500 rounds, with the NATO stuff as well as basically anything else I could put in it. A few light strikes that might have been in part due to the gun being so dirty, but otherwise no problems...strange.  

I really like the Walther P99 DA/SA Anti-Stress system because of the options you have for carrying the gun, and the triggers themselves are excellent with an extremely short reset but my personal experience just has not created an atmosphere of trust in the V2 versions of the Canik TP pistols. I have not fired or owned the discontinued original DA/SA Canik TP9 pistol so I cannot speak to its reliability or durability one way or the other.

This is just my experience with the V2 guns...not saying one won't work for you, but just offering one truthful take that stands in contrast to all of the flowery-these-guns-are-perfect-and-never-have-problems videos (and in many cases paid endorsements) that you'll find on Youtube and elsewhere.

View Quote

This is great information to have.  I've basically heard nothing but good things about these guns, so thank you for sharing your experience with it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I also appreciate a report on your experience with this handgun.

I have fired all three, the original TP9, the TP9SA and the TP9v2, and have had no ignition problems at all, but that's mostly with 115gr handloads using the CCI500 primer.

Since I haven't seen reports of similar problems with NATO spec ammo from others, have you checked to see if there might be some crud (or whatever) in the gun reducing firing pin impact?

Just curious...

Forrest

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have fired all three, the original TP9, the TP9SA and the TP9v2, and have had no ignition problems at all, but that's mostly with 115gr handloads using the CCI500 primer.

Since I haven't seen reports of similar problems with NATO spec ammo from others, have you checked to see if there might be some crud (or whatever) in the gun reducing firing pin impact?

Just curious...

Forrest

View Quote

Thanks, Forest!  How did you feel about the original TP9?  I want something in OD or Desert and the TP9v2 doesn't seem to be coming in anything other than black (even though it doesn't seem like anyone has any original TP9's available anymore).  Also, it appears that the original TP9's grip is more similar to the P99 than the TP9v2, and the P99's grip feels great.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a  TP9 v1 and  I loved it so much i bought two more... paid 250 (very lightly used less than 100 rnds through each)
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks, Forest!  How did you feel about the original TP9?  I want something in OD or Desert and the TP9v2 doesn't seem to be coming in anything other than black (even though it doesn't seem like anyone has any original TP9's available anymore).  Also, it appears that the original TP9's grip is more similar to the P99 than the TP9v2, and the P99's grip feels great.
View Quote

The original TP9 is a Waltheresque handgun.  It looks a lot more like the Walther P99 than either of the more recent Caniks.  It also takes Walther sights.  I replaced the original sights on my TP9 with a set of Meprolight P99 night sights.  The TP9SA and TP9v2 both take a CZ-75 type of sights.

The original TP9 is slightly shorter than the more recent versions, again looking like the Walther P99 at the muzzle.  In many ways, the original TP9 is almost a clone of the Walther P99QA (which I also have).

Most people don't like the P99QA (quick action) as much as the P99AS (anti-stress) because the AS trigger is 'much' better than the DAO type QA trigger.  I agree with that except that the QA trigger, while not as light, is still very usable.  The same can be said for the original TP9 trigger.  While it's certainly not as 'good' as the TP9SA and TP9v2 trigger, it's still very usable.

And speaking of grip feel, I also am a big fan of the Walther P99 (and more recent PPQ) grips and the TP9 is very close to that feel.  Having said that, the grips of both the TP9SA and  TP9v2 (which are really the same) also feel really good.  I think that you'd like any of the three that way...

And, to open another can of worms, the grip of the Walther PPX, while looking ugly, is actually also very comfortable.  I probably should add the disclaimer that I have pretty big hands...

Forrest

Edited to spell DAO right...

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The original TP9 is a Waltheresque handgun.  It looks a lot more like the Walther P99 than either of the more recent Caniks.  It also takes Walther sights.  I replaced the original sights on my TP9 with a set of Meprolight P99 night sights.  The TP9SA and TP9v2 both take a CZ-75 type of sights.

The original TP9 is slightly shorter than the more recent versions, again looking like the Walther P99 at the muzzle.  In many ways, the original TP9 is almost a clone of the Walther P99QA (which I also have).

Most people don't like the P99QA (quick action) as much as the P99AS (anti-stress) because the AS trigger is 'much' better than the DAO type QA trigger.  I agree with that except that the QA trigger, while not as light, is still very usable.  The same can be said for the original TP9 trigger.  While it's certainly not as 'good' as the TP9SA and TP9v2 trigger, it's still very usable.

And speaking of grip feel, I also am a big fan of the Walther P99 (and more recent PPQ) grips and the TP9 is very close to that feel.  Having said that, the grips of both the TP9SA and  TP9v2 (which are really the same) also feel really good.  I think that you'd like any of the three that way...

And, to open another can of worms, the grip of the Walther PPX, while looking ugly, is actually also very comfortable.  I probably should add the disclaimer that I have pretty big hands...

Forrest

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

Thanks, Forrest!  I wish they were still selling the TP9 v1...dang it, I should have pulled the trigger on it early last year when I came across them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[

Just curious...

Forrest
View Quote

It's probably not a bad idea to try to take a look inside the striker channel too see if there is some grease or crud in there possibly causing problems...I will say though, that the gun had some misfiires the day I got it brand new and took it out to the range. It is possible that CANIK excessively lubed the inside of the gun to the point where it has caused some issues, but I think it's probably more than that...we'll have to see.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's probably not a bad idea to try to take a look inside the striker channel too see if there is some grease or crud in there possibly causing problems...I will say though, that the gun had some misfiires the day I got it brand new and took it out to the range. It is possible that CANIK excessively lubed the inside of the gun to the point where it has caused some issues, but I think it's probably more than that...we'll have to see.
View Quote

I'll be interested in what you find, regardless of whether it's something or nothing...

Forrest
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI
just got an email that J&G has SF's in tan in stock $339+ their typical outrageous shipping charge
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FYI
just got an email that J&G has SF's in tan in stock $339+ their typical outrageous shipping charge
View Quote

I wish my local shops carried these!  I also wish someone would come across a lot of original TP9's to sell .
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

oh man, I got excited...thought that might be a link for the TP9v1!  Alas, it was the new SF.  Great price though...That is the striker fired model with no de-cocker IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#24]
My TP9V2 has been perfect with all kinds of ammo, from steel cased stuff to "self defense" type HP ammo. I have about 400 rounds through mine after about 6 weeks of owning it. I ran a few patches with CLP through it after the first 200 or so, and it's stayed dirty since then. I bought mine after shooting a friend's V2. He has had zero issues with his V2 and SA. He bought a bunch of the NATO 147 gr ammo that was out there a while back and it shoots fine in all our guns. I've never seen any sort of light strike in my gun, and my friend says he has never seen any in his either. .
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I've owned the TP9V2 for about a year.  It VERY QUICKLY rose to top my list as far as favorite guns, and continues to stay at #1 and I own / buy A LOT of guns.  Its in my range bag this very second, and I'm headed out shortly.  ZERO malfunctions of any kind, and I have over 18 brands of 9mm ammo stored from 115 g to 147, in FMJ, TMJ, HP's, steel and brass cased, and it eats EVERYTHING with extreme enthusism.  Carry on!
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, I was pretty set on just going with my original want of a Walther P99AS...now you all are making me think I should go with the TP9v2!
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've owned the TP9V2 for about a year.  It VERY QUICKLY rose to top my list as far as favorite guns, and continues to stay at #1 and I own / buy A LOT of guns.  Its in my range bag this very second, and I'm headed out shortly.  ZERO malfunctions of any kind, and I have over 18 brands of 9mm ammo stored from 115 g to 147, in FMJ, TMJ, HP's, steel and brass cased, and it eats EVERYTHING with extreme enthusism.  Carry on!
View Quote

Had mine since 1st week of January & I've had the same experience. High quality, high value, great shooter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had mine since 1st week of January & I've had the same experience. High quality, high value, great shooter.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Canik TP9 SA, for 2 years now.  Light strike issues, 3 to 4 per magazine, all types of ammo.  Would not recommend this gun.  It is so bad my conscience will not let me sell it, as a gun anyway, paper weight, stage prop maybe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a Canik TP9 SA, for 2 years now.  Light strike issues, 3 to 4 per magazine, all types of ammo.  Would not recommend this gun.  It is so bad my conscience will not let me sell it, as a gun anyway, paper weight, stage prop maybe.
View Quote
Good to know...didn't end up buying it.  By the time I was able to get back they had sold the used range gun I was going to buy, and something kept me from purchasing it new.  I'm trying to save up for a suppressor and a Sig one of these days...now I have to replace my Glock that just got stolen, so probably a good idea I held off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
try an extra power Glock striker spring on the striker assembly.  Should work perfectly.  I ran a stock G17 striker spring in mine and it ran flawless
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top