Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 12/10/2005 2:23:09 PM EDT
I just went to the range today and they have a Kahr K9 for rent, so I grabbed it. I thought it pointed very well, the grip was angled just right and the whole gun was very thin, like a 1911. The trigger was a fairly light double action that was very smooth. The slide was a bit tough to lock all the way back, but after doing it a few times I got used to it.

The recoil was fairly sharp, and I had some issue with trigger slap, but otherwise the gun was not unpleasant to shoot. I don't know how the P9 or PM9 stack up, but it seemed to me that the all-steel K9 was plenty light for CCW. Any lighter and the recoil would start to be prohibitivly strong.

As for accuracy, I had decent hits, all hitting CoM at ~7 yards. I have never been able to get the hang of accurate shooting with small guns, but out of all the ones I have tried I have had the best luck with the kahr.

I might end up getting one in the future for summer CCW.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:02:55 PM EDT
Was it reliable?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:41:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Was it reliable?

I have 800+ rounds of mostly 124gr +P through my stainless K9
without missing a beat . It took around 500 rounds to smooth
out , but now it's pretty damn sweet for a heavy springed DAO .

Accuracy is more then acceptable out to 25 yds even with me behind the
trigger .
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:02:52 PM EDT

Was it reliable?

Out of 100 rounds I had 3 stovepipes. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:03:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QuantumPion:

Was it reliable?

Out of 100 rounds I had 3 stovepipes. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while though.

Give it a good cleaning and reshoot it and report back on what happens! Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:08:25 AM EDT

Was it reliable?

Give it a good cleaning and reshoot it and report back on what happens! Have fun!

it was a rental.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:24:07 PM EDT

Was it reliable?

it was a rental.

Oh yeah, duh!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 3:24:39 PM EDT by easy610]
Just bought a PM9 and fired 300+ rounds the first range session. Several function issues during the first 50-100 rounds. Got better as the rounds added up. As I approached 300-ish rounds function issues went away.

As for the shooting impressions. I fired about 200 rds of 124 gr fmj and then about 100 rds of 115 gr GoldDot. The best description is snappy recoil. Not really bad, but not comfortable either. I had a titanium S&W 342 in the past. When shooting +p .38 ammo, it was NOT comfortable, in fact it was painful. The PM9 with standard 9mm I've fired thus far was not that bad, but I wouldn't want to shoot a couple hundred rounds every week or two, but I expect to shoot maybe 50 rounds every couple weeks to further break-in and get used to the feel.

Trigger pull is long, smooth and what a Glock trigger should be, IMO. Accuracy was so-so. When shooting @ 15 yards standing, I could place all rounds on a 8" paper plate if I took my time. However, I wouldn't expect to engage a target at 15yards with this gun unless I absolutely had to. I forsee this as a very close in weapon. In that regard, I think it will excel.

Having also owned baby-Glocks, this gun is MUCH more concealable. Thinner and smaller in every direction. I always wanted the Glock 26/27 to be my goto CCW gun, but it was sooooo chunky....the PM9 is perfectly sized for this role......IWB, ankle carry, etc..

Anyway, my impresions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:14:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By easy610:
Trigger pull is long, smooth and what a Glock trigger should be, IMO.

If the PM9 trigger is anything like the K9 trigger I tried, I agree 1000%. It's a fairly light, but very smooth double action trigger. Like 6 lbs I guess.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:16:03 PM EDT
My RA reports 400 rounds trouble free through a K40.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:07:03 PM EDT

If the PM9 trigger is anything like the K9 trigger I tried, I agree 1000%. It's a fairly light, but very smooth double action trigger. Like 6 lbs I guess.

Yup, the same thing. The first time I dry fired it I thought I wish my Glock trigger was like this!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:10:52 AM EDT
I have on eof the first run K9's (BLUE steel!) and have well over 2500 rounds through it- never a hiccup. I've used ball, Gold Dots, Black talons, CCI HP- it feeds every one flawlessly.

I now have an MK9 that has a tad over 300 rounds through it. Handles and acts the same as it's bigger brother, but gets carried more often.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:41:28 AM EDT

Yup, the same thing. The first time I dry fired it I thought I wish my Glock trigger was like this!

The toy-gun feeling trigger pull of Glocks is what keeps me from getting one.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Top Top