Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 2/7/2015 1:54:32 AM EDT
My CW-9 hasn't had many +P and +P+ rounds through it, however I recently noticed after firing a few +P+ rounds (less than 20) that the top of the barrel had sustained some significant damage where the top front edge of the square part of the chamber portion of the barrel meets the round part of the barrel.  The front edge of the square portion of the barrel had been gouged out leaving a small steel  "berm" far enough back of the square edge to be visible even when the pistol was fully assembled.  The inside of the frame also had some slight damage. This impact damage was obviously the result of shooting a few rounds of +P+ ammo.  I filed down the steel "berm" and smoothed out the small spot inside the frame and the pistol fired standard pressure loads fine with no malfunctions.

However, CW-9 owners BEWARE!  Firing even a small amount of +P+ ammo in CW-9 pistols may damage them.  I was just lucky to have spotted the damage immediately after the range session.    

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You should always check the owners manual to see if the gun is rated for hotter loads. If it isn't listed in the manual you can always contact the manufacturer directly.

Glad to hear that you caught it early and you didn't have a kaboom.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The manual says nothing about not firing +P or +P+ rounds. It just says to always fire new factory loaded ammunition and that firing reloads will void the warranty.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]
if it doesn't say +p on the gun I'd investigate further before increasing pressure
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if it doesn't say +p on the gun I'd investigate further before increasing pressure
View Quote

The only guns I can think of that actually have "+P" printed on them are revolvers with respect to .38spl. Almost no modern autos will have it and certainly not "+P+" for which there is no SAAMI specs anyway. Glock, Sig, H&K, and M&P, in my experience, all feed +P like champs. There isn't any reason the Kahr shouldn't be able to. I could see +P+ causing issues but not +P.

I've got a CM9 on the way. I plan to carry and shoot Speer 124 +P Gold Dots in it. That's a pretty standard defensive load. Any pistol not designed to handle that isn't worth a damn, in my opinion. I would be shocked if it couldn't handle +P ammunition. I'd wager OP's issues are directly related to the +P+ load.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem with my CM-9.  Fired a box of 25 +P rounds through it and noticed the barrel locking surfaces were damaged.  It was peening and working up a burr at the front of the barrel engagement surface.  I took it down with a few file strokes and all was good.

My PM-9 on the other hand has seen several hundred rounds of +P with no issues.  Must be something different about the metallurgy of the CM/CW series.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got some +p for my Bodyguard 380.  I looked on the S&W website, and couldn't determine whether the gun will handle that.  Does anyone shoot +P through that 380, and if not, what's the best standard load personal defense round?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got some +p for my Bodyguard 380.  I looked on the S&W website, and couldn't determine whether the gun will handle that.  Does anyone shoot +P through that 380, and if not, what's the best standard load personal defense round?
View Quote

Probably should start a new thread specific to your gun rather than hijack the OP's

I have a CW9 and I've shot a box of 25 +P hollow points through it to test function.  I didn't see any damage like described so it may be something else.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My CW-9 hasn't had many +P and +P+ rounds through it, however I recently noticed after firing a few +P+ rounds (less than 20) that the top of the barrel had sustained some significant damage where the top front edge of the square part of the chamber portion of the barrel meets the round part of the barrel.  The front edge of the square portion of the barrel had been gouged out leaving a small steel  "berm" far enough back of the square edge to be visible even when the pistol was fully assembled.  The inside of the frame also had some slight damage. This impact damage was obviously the result of shooting a few rounds of +P+ ammo.  I filed down the steel "berm" and smoothed out the small spot inside the frame and the pistol fired standard pressure loads fine with no malfunctions.

However, CW-9 owners BEWARE!  Firing even a small amount of +P and +P+ ammo in CW-9 pistols will damage them.  I was just lucky to have spotted the damage before it was too late.    

View Quote

from their own website

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr do not recommend steel case, reloads or un-jacketed ammunition. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.
>>Back to top
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had the same problem with my CM-9.  Fired a box of 25 +P rounds through it and noticed the barrel locking surfaces were damaged.  It was peening and working up a burr at the front of the barrel engagement surface.  I took it down with a few file strokes and all was good.

My PM-9 on the other hand has seen several hundred rounds of +P with no issues.  Must be something different about the metallurgy of the CM/CW series.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Which brand of +P did you fire?

Quoted:

I have a CW9 and I've shot a box of 25 +P hollow points through it to test function.  I didn't see any damage like described so it may be something else.

Can I ask which brand of +P you fired?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

124 gr +P Gold Dots
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm the OP.  The ammo that caused the damage to my CW-9 was 115gr Federal +P+ 9mm JHP (# 9BPLE).  I've used that same ammo for years in other pistols with no problems.  It is a well known load developed for the Indiana State Police and used by them for many years with excellent street results.  Since it is still available they may still be carrying it, but I don't know that for sure.

If others are shooting +P or +P+ ammo out of their CW-9's with no damage, please post the exact loads you are using.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

124 gr +P Gold Dots
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

124 gr +P Gold Dots

Damn. That sucks. That's the load I use. Now, I'm having second thoughts about whether the CM9 will make for an acceptable carry piece. I suppose I could just use standard pressure 124 grn Federal HST ammunition. I have just always felt that out of a short barrel like that, +P would assist in getting good velocity.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I've fired probably 25 rounds of +P HST 124 grain and a couple mags of Corbon 115 +P+ through my CM9 as well as several hundred rounds of standard pressure 115 grain ball ammo without damage.  Not sure what your issue might be.  Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I put 30 rounds of Speer 124 +p through the CM9 today after 50 rounds of ball and observed no deformation or damage to the barrel afterwards during field strip and cleaning. Prior to going to the range, I cleaned it and lubricated it really well. I think maybe too much, but that's probably not a bad thing for the first outing. I don't foresee any issues during the rest of the "break-in" period.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#15]
The major damage to the CW9 I used to own (sold it) was due to firing slightly less than 20 rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+.  However various factory +P loads while not doing such severe damage, did ding up the barrel slightly where the squared top edge of the chamber portion of the barrel meets the round portion of the barrel.  So while I know for sure the +P+ load mentioned will severely damage a CW9, +P ammo might be OK to use in very limited amounts for carry while using standard ammo for practice.  Nevertheless, I would suggest using nothing but standard velocity JHP's in all makes of very small lightweight 9mm's if you want to prevent excessive wear and tear.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Justin Moon famously designed the Kahr pistols to shoot +P ammo.
The manuals and web site both expressly state NOT to use any +P+ ammo.

Most +P+ ammo is custom loaded for police departments for use mostly in Service size pistols, not Mini-guns like the Kahr's.
There is no SAAMI standard for +P+ ammo and each user specifies what they want.  Some is much hotter then others and you can seriously damage a Kahr shooting even small amounts of +P+.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I've shot at minimum over 100 rounds of 124gr +p Golden Sabers and 50+ 135 Critical Defense +p through my CW9. Always try to test multiple mags of any carry ammo.  No damage or issues with the pistol, still runs great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The major damage to the CW9 I used to own (sold it) was due to firing slightly less than 20 rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+.  However various factory +P loads while not doing such severe damage, did ding up the barrel slightly where the squared top edge of the chamber portion of the barrel meets the round portion of the barrel.  So while I know for sure the +P+ load mentioned will severely damage a CW9, +P ammo might be OK to use in very limited amounts for carry while using standard ammo for practice.  Nevertheless, I would suggest using nothing but standard velocity JHP's in all makes of very small lightweight 9mm's if you want to prevent excessive wear and tear.
View Quote

Just so you know, +p+ is an unspecified load. IE NOT CONFORMING TO SPEC at all. IIRC the official convention is a "+" load is a at 90%  of max CUPs,  "+P" is 95% of max, a  +P+ is some unknown number it could be actually 150% of SAMMI spec. my .357 loads are +P+ but I wont let other people shoot them and I have to really hit the ejector when im done.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]
No issues with +P 124gr Gold dots in my CM9 either.  No noticeable wear after two full boxes of +P and well over 1000 of mixed standard FMJ.

I do clean it like a mofo after each use, shouldn't factor in here, but just in case.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#20]
On the issue of +P+, there are no firearms manufacturers who state their pistol is rated for  +P+.  NONE!

I've been shooting Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+ out of my Glock 17 and Glock 26 for years with no ill effects. I fired one magazine of it through a S&W Shield, halfway through the magazine the white dot in the front sight launched somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On the issue of +P+, there are no firearms manufacturers who state their pistol is rated for  +P+.  NONE!

I've been shooting Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+ out of my Glock 17 and Glock 26 for years with no ill effects. I fired one magazine of it through a S&W Shield, halfway through the magazine the white dot in the front sight launched somewhere.
View Quote

I might be wrong but aren't H&K's rated for +p+ ammo?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm the OP.  The ammo that caused the damage to my CW-9 was 115gr Federal +P+ 9mm JHP (# 9BPLE).  I've used that same ammo for years in other pistols with no problems.  It is a well known load developed for the Indiana State Police and used by them for many years with excellent street results.  Since it is still available they may still be carrying it, but I don't know that for sure.

If others are shooting +P or +P+ ammo out of their CW-9's with no damage, please post the exact loads you are using.
View Quote

Ummm, there is your problem.  You are basically shooting 357 mag ammo through your compact 9mm.  For some perspective, that ammo clocks out at 1380 fps through a 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#23]
124 gr GDJHP +P
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's no SAAMI spec for 380 acp +p. Use it at your own risk
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Ttyt, I would shoot normal pressure 9mm to reduce muzzle flash and recoil for faster follow up shots. In a short barrel ccw, like under 5", the increased velocity is not that significant to offset the cons
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top