Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:27:06 PM EDT
Bought a new CW380 when PSA had them for 250.

Got it, shot it. Can't get it to fire two rounds in a row without issues. I know they're supposed to have a 200 round break in period, but I would expect to be able to at least run a few rounds through it.

I've tried fiochii and tula so far with no luck. I have to slam the slide forward with the heel of my hand on every round to get it into battery, and occasionally it's damn near impossible to pull the slide back to eject a round.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Give Kahr a call, they have excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds very "tight".

I have a few Kahrs. To accelerate the break in period I disassemble the pistol, smooth all contact surfaces, reassemble and vigorously hand cycle it hundreds, if not thousands of times before even firing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Kahr 9mm.  Similar experience.   The 200  round break-in is BS.    How about charging another $50 for the gun and finishing the machining?

As far as tips I would send it back.   Failing that Cylinder and Slides does work on these for a couple hundred $ more.  Yippee.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some things to look at first:

Try different ammo.  
The steel cased stuff is not a valid test for the Kahr, and it just might not "like" the Fiochii.
American made pistols are designed and manufactured with NO thought whatsoever to the use of steel cased ammo.  They're designed specifically for brass cased ammo.
Buy a couple of boxes of good quality American made ammo by Remington, Winchester, or Federal.

Try a different magazine.

Clean the gun and apply a little more lube than you would on other guns.
I recommend a little grease on the slide and frame rails and the barrel.

Make sure you aren't limp wristing the gun.  These tiny, very light guns need a firm hold.
Have someone else shoot a few rounds for you.

If these steps don't work, then contact Kahr to have them send you a shipping label to send it back.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine did not like Fiocchi at all. A number of others seem to have similar experiences. I did send mine back to Kahr after 200 rounds for this and another issue, that in retrospect was possibly operator error.. Not sure what they did, but it runs fine now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My cw9 did just that on the first few rounds. By 25 or so it would run semi ok. By round 150 it was 100%. I still ran 200 rounds through it. I oiled it up a bit more than I would for carry purposes. Kahrs are prone to limp wristing as well.

Steel case ammo might be a might underpowered.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking the chamber is tight. Because even just trying to place a round in the chamber by hand doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking the chamber is tight. Because even just trying to place a round in the chamber by hand doesn't work.
View Quote

Possible. Remove the barrel and try to insert a round.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a tight chamber. I pushed a round in the chamber after removing the barrel, fully seated it and had to push really hard with a cleaning rod to pop the round back out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Definitely a tight chamber. I pushed a round in the chamber after removing the barrel, fully seated it and had to push really hard with a cleaning rod to pop the round back out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obvious follow-up question: Can you see any obstruction/lead/burrs in there? If not, send it back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Obvious follow-up question: Can you see any obstruction/lead/burrs in there? If not, send it back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No obstructions that I can see, I've filled out Kahr's online form, guess I'll hear back from them soon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Others have mentioned it, but you basically tried the bottom of the barrel ammo-wise. There's a lot of scuttlebutt on the internet that they don't like Fiochi and Tula is pretty cheap and crappy.

Sounds like you're on the right track by contacting Kahr--they have excellent customer service. I would also try some decent Federal or Blazer ammo and see if you have better luck. Mine feeds true round-noses the best. It doesn't love the flattened nosed stuff that they sometimes still call RN. I had a few failure to return to battery on the first round of a magazine during the break-in period, but mine has smoothed out now and I fully trust it and carry it (with PrecisionONe XTP loads).
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Others have mentioned it, but you basically tried the bottom of the barrel ammo-wise. There's a lot of scuttlebutt on the internet that they don't like Fiochi and Tula is pretty cheap and crappy.

Sounds like you're on the right track by contacting Kahr--they have excellent customer service. I would also try some decent Federal or Blazer ammo and see if you have better luck. Mine feeds true round-noses the best. It doesn't love the flattened nosed stuff that they sometimes still call RN. I had a few failure to return to battery on the first round of a magazine during the break-in period, but mine has smoothed out now and I fully trust it and carry it (with PrecisionONe XTP loads).
View Quote

I bought a box of winchester white box, and it won't seat either. The chamber is definitely out of spec and too tight. Kahr sent me a shipping label, it'll be going out tomorrow. Hopefully their turn around isn't super long.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a CM 40 that took me a while to work the kinks out.  Functions great now and I love it but when I was looking to get a .380 I just went with a Ruger LCP because I didn't fee like working though the issues again.    LCP has been flawless.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a CM 40 that took me a while to work the kinks out.  Functions great now and I love it but when I was looking to get a .380 I just went with a Ruger LCP because I didn't fee like working though the issues again.    LCP has been flawless.
View Quote

I bought a CM9 used and it hasn't given any trouble whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Kahr was quick to get back to me, and I've got a few of their other guns that haven't been problematic. I understand anything man made can have issues, so I'm willing to give them the chance to correct the issue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kahr was quick to get back to me, and I've got a few of their other guns that haven't been problematic. I understand anything man made can have issues, so I'm willing to give them the chance to correct the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I understand completely. I wish you the best dealing with the current Kahr customer service. It isn't what it used to be from what I've read.
My PM9 had to go back to Kahr twice for issues that were directly related to poor quality on their part.
One would think that a pistol with an MSRP of $958.00 then, would run 100% from day one.
They also had to send me replacement parts several times for small part breakage/failure.
The last time I fired my PM9, it ran 100% but I don't trust it for EDC.
It remains in my safe as a reminder what brand firearm not to buy in the future.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My CM9 was also flawless from day one. I've heard turnarounds as fast as the same week in some cases. Hope yours is fast too!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I understand completely. I wish you the best dealing with the current Kahr customer service. It isn't what it used to be from what I've read.
My PM9 had to go back to Kahr twice for issues that were directly related to poor quality on their part.
One would think that a pistol with an MSRP of $958.00 then, would run 100% from day one.
They also had to send me replacement parts several times for small part breakage/failure.
It remains in my safe as a reminder what brand firearm not to buy in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My CM9 is in my rotation for carry. I've ran shitty ammo through it and never had a problem, I guess I got lucky lol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Give Kahr a call, they have excellent customer service.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry about your luck, OP. I too bought a CW380 from PSA when they had them on sale. Mine has been 100%, unlike the POS GLOCK 42 I bought and dumped.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sorry about your luck, OP. I too bought a CW380 from PSA when they had them on sale. Mine has been 100%, unlike the POS GLOCK 42 I bought and dumped.
View Quote

Most everything I've heard about Kahr, and my own personal experience with them has been nothing but good. I understand anything man made has the potential for issues, so I'm willing to let them correct the issue before I start losing my mind over it. Too many people these days don't leave any margin for error.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought one and hand cycled it probably 1000 times sitting in my chair before I had a chance to get to the range. I use good quality ammo and gun has been 100%. I say send it back and have them look at it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought one and hand cycled it probably 1000 times sitting in my chair before I had a chance to get to the range. I use good quality ammo and gun has been 100%. I say send it back and have them look at it.
View Quote

It's at their factory now. I'll let everyone know how it works when it gets back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I have had several Kahr pistols and one had to go back for repair. The P380 was having issues but they corrected the problem and the weapon was returned within a week. They also included an extra magazine for my trouble. At this time I have no Kahr pistols in the safe but would not hesitate to purchase another.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I got one of those from psa also..it's fine with any brass cased ammo except fiocchi.  ..
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Seems like Fiocchi 380 and Kahrs don't mix, I know mine won't eat it at all.  Being a reloader the first thing that stuck out to me is that Fiocchi 380 still has a good amount of belling still left in the case, basically flare at the mouth of the case.  Kahrs are chambered somewhat tightly too and the two DO NOT get along at all.  I literally had to take a pair of pliers and squeeze out the belling and then my CW380 ate it like candy.  Very pleased with my CW380 overall.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I had FTF issues with my summer carry CW380 when pressing the slide release to load the first rounds and some FTE issues. I returned it to Kahr in June and they had it back to me in 1 week.

I shot it for another couple hundred rounds$$ and I was getting more FTF issues with the first round; no matter what ammo I used which was mid to upper tier FMJ or JHP.

I sent it back a few weeks ago to Kahr and they fixed and returned it in 3 days. They sent me a pre-paid label and most of my contact was through e-mail. I haven't shot is since I got it back; but will in the next week or so.

If I have more FTF problems with it I am going to cut my losses and toss it away to a friend who likes it or toss it in the safe. It's too expensive to shoot and I feel that Kahr is just throwing darts at getting these to run. I bet it's 50-50 you get one without problems. It's the best shooting 0.380 I have owned; but not being reliable is obviously a deal killer.

I would give Kahr a chance to make it right once and move on if you still have problems. Their customer service has been very good so far to me.

I will mention that I do have a CM9 that I've had zero issues with and have 750+ rounds through it. I think they don't have the 0.380 nailed down and probably never will given the P380 before it also has issues that are similar. Going to hate going back to my LCP for summer pocket carry.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Received the gun back from Kahr today. They replaced the barrel, spring, and guide rod, and "reworked the slide."

Says they ran 28 rounds through it without issue. I'll be shooting it this weekend, will report back.

Edit: Got home, removed the barrel, ammo drops right into the chamber now. Put it back together and dropped the slide with some ammo and it's loading fine. We'll see how it does during actual use this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Received the gun back from Kahr today. They replaced the barrel, spring, and guide rod, and "reworked the slide."

Says they ran 28 rounds through it without issue. I'll be shooting it this weekend, will report back.

Edit: Got home, removed the barrel, ammo drops right into the chamber now. Put it back together and dropped the slide with some ammo and it's loading fine. We'll see how it does during actual use this weekend.
View Quote

Glad to hear they took care of the problem!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far it's looking good. I'm going to withhold saying it's fixed until I actually shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#33]
It ran perfect today. No issues to speak of. Kahr took care of the problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many rounds through it today?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only about 75. My friend brought a full auto sbr m16 with him. So it kind of took a back seat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I polish the chamber and slide on any pistol I get in my possession., before I even shoot it.

I want to be sure it runs as good as it can from the start.
If I don't and it messes up, then I will always have that in the back of my mind when carrying it for SD
I bought a $199 CT40 from PSA,prepped and polished it. I'm a 176 rounds fired with no issues except the FTFeed when slingshotting. Kahr says not to do that BTW
It hasn't been cleaned since the first day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got about 150 rounds total through it now, even the fiochi ammo is now running fine in it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Ran across this thread while searching CW380 issues.
I had a possible trade going for a CW380 for my CT40
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I carried a 9mm kahr for years.   Nary an issue.

But I fed it quality ammo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Still Got the CT40, and a Ruger LCP that works. No sense in reinventing the wheel here
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top