Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 4/13/2014 12:24:55 AM EDT
I know the 9, 40, 45 debate has been hashed time and time again but I'd like to hear a more kahr specific response. This is what I get from it. every step up in caliber you lose 1 round capacity, I realize modern ammo is fairly consistant between all 3. I'm more curious about how they shoot/ reliability between the 3.

A little background. I've owned 1 kahr a pm9 and was brought into the kahr world by a freind who had a P9. I really should have purchased the P9 because I'd probably still have it but I didn't care much for the PM. it was a little heavy for pocket carry and if I have to carry it on the belt i'd prefer more gun. I'm looking to get a new summer carry gun and i'm quite certain it will be one of the new CT's "covert style" ie. grip shortened to a cw length. I reload for all 3 calibers so ammo is a null point. so if you could own one of the three caliber kahr's which would you reccomend?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The coverts are shortened to  a pm length. Odds are you would not like it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer a single stack in .45 if I'm gonna go single stack I figure go with the biggest bullet, I have had Kahr's in all calibers except .380, 2 K9's , a cw9, a p9, 2 CW 45's and a cw40 . I decided that the cw45 is the best option for me seeing as how it can take 1911 mags upping it's capacity to 7+1 with officer mags , the other Kahr's only take kahr mags.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I would be performing the grip chop myself and I would make it cw/p length. I agree I wouldn't like the pm length.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I prefer a single stack in .45 if I'm gonna go single stack I figure go with the biggest bullet, I have had Kahr's in all calibers except .380, 2 K9's , a cw9, a p9, 2 CW 45's and a cw40 . I decided that the cw45 is the best option for me seeing as how it can take 1911 mags upping it's capacity to 7+1 with officer mags , the other Kahr's only take kahr mags.
View Quote

This was kinda my thinking as well. if limited to single stack 45 does sound best. wasn't aware of the 1911 mag compatibility that adds another consideration.
do the 45 kahr's have any ammo that they don't care for? I'd like to stick with a gold dot or HST for carry ammo. It will see lead 230gr truncated most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would be performing the grip chop myself and I would make it cw/p length. I agree I wouldn't like the pm length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused. What gun would you be starting with?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-ct45.asp

Kahr CT45 (or 40, 9mm) it has a longer grip than the cw series as well as longer slide/barrel
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I see. I don't think they have the value version in 9 or 40 though. Just the tp9
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I see. I don't think they have the value version in 9 or 40 though. Just the tp9
View Quote

the 40 and 45 are already out. the 9mm is due out in a few months.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on your OP, I recommend the P380.
Smaller than the PM9, it's actually suitable for (pants)pocket carry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
picked up the ct45. going to run a few hundred rounds through it before I chop it in case it needs to go back to the mothership for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
picked up the ct45. going to run a few hundred rounds through it before I chop it in case it needs to go back to the mothership for some reason.
View Quote

I'll be watching for your holster choice...
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
gonna try and make a hybrid(leather/kydex) kinda leaning towards appendix carry. feels real good both standing and sitting. never have tried appendix carry. feels good from 1 o' clock all the way to 2:30 but starts to print around 2:15 this should be fixed once I chop the grip. put 100 rounds down range thus far without a hitch. gonna try and get out this weekend for a little more range time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a pm9, pm40, and a p45. Had and sold an mk9.  If i kept 1, it would be my pm40.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know this post is two years old but took a shot.
You stated that the CW 45 will take 1911 mags. From what I have read they need some mods. Did you do any, and if so how do they work.
I have a CW 45 and was thinking of selling it because extra mags are $45. I have a lot of 1911 mags and if they work I would reconsider keeping the Kahr
Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You stated that the CW 45 will take 1911 mags. From what I have read they need some mods. Did you do any, and if so how do they work.
I have a CW 45 and was thinking of selling it because extra mags are $45. I have a lot of 1911 mags and if they work I would reconsider keeping the Kahr
Thanks for any info
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any info

ACT mags I had didn't need any mods, the mags that needed mods had to have the feed lips filed a bit to let the slide pass by, there are pics and instructions on kahr talk, that's where i got my info.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I sold the ct45 when the glock 43's came out but from what I read it's dependant on the mags if they need to be profiled or not. from my understanding its very little if needed. I will say that I did like the ct45 very much and with handloads it was very accurate. I may come back to one some day. for now I got the single action bug. lol
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top