Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 4/28/2002 11:29:22 AM EDT
Just bought one today. Local gun store is moving to a new location and was having a moving sale. I paid $440 for it, did I get a good deal? Also, what kind of ammo do you use in yours? I use 135gr Cor-bons in my Beretta 96, should I continue to use the low weight high speed stuff or should I switch?

BKVic
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]

1) I think you got a great price! Congratulations.

2) A friend of mine got an MK40 about two years ago - he had a lot of jamming initially and found the gun harsh to shoot (however, he had a previous motorcycle accident  and had severely injuried his right wrist and shoulder and at that time had not fully recovered); he ended up selling the gun - in my opinion too soon.  It takes a couple of hundred rounds to break in these litttle guns to the point where there are few/no malfunctions. I do have and MK9 and it took over 600 rounds before everything seemed to "click", and some of it I am sure was me.  What I am telling you is expect a significant break in period. But it is worth it, I have real confidence in my MK9.

3) Ammunition?  I don't have a recommendation per se but part of your choice will be decided on the recoil you perceive with different loads and what is tolerable to you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd agree that you got a good price.  Congrats!  

As to ammo, I'd try several weights/velocities until I found the one that shot most closely to point of aim/point of impact and that the recoil was manageable.

Nice gun you got.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I finaly got to the range last night and put 200 rounds through it and while recoil is very noticable it wasnt near what I was expecting! I need to do some more practicing with it because I found myself flinching while pulling the trigger, something I dont do with my Beretta 96.I ran 150 rounds of CCI Blazer through it and while I didnt have any failure of any kind the rounds grouped nicly but were about 4 inches low of point of aim. I had a box of junk ammo "WOLF" left that Ive been trying to get rid of "my Beretta hates the stuff" so decided to try it in the Kahr. The Kahr treated the stuff like my beretta and had several failure to extracts but the bullits hit dead center on the target! Now I need to find a good ammo that I can afford "Ill never buy another box of Wolf, ever" thats shoots to point of aim like the Wolf did. My Beretta love the CCI Blazer but I guess Ill have to start buying two kinds of practice ammo unless I can find something that both will shoot good with.

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What was the bullet weight and the approximate velocity with the Wolf ammo?  Might help you as a starting point to try and duplicate these factors when searching for defensive ammo.
Sounds like your MK40 is a keeper.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The 180gr Blazer is rated at 985fps and the Wolf 180gr is rated at 990fps I just bought a few boxes of PMC 165gr that is rated at 1010fps I guess Ill have to run off to the range to try it out this week!

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Agree with your comments about Wolf ammo - hate the stuff. Bought one box and literally had to fire monst of the rounds twice to get it to discharge.

I do have a K40 and for target/practice ammo I use UMC or Winchester - these brands as they ar e the ones that Walmart carries around here and I can get them cheaper than most other brands and the K 40 is fine th them.  

CorBon 180 grains in my K 40 and my CZ 100 are too much for me, too much kick, flip and poor accuracy due to this. I have some Federal Hydra-Shoks at 135 grain (muzzle velocity 1190fps)  which I want to check out for personal protection but I haven't got around to trying these yet. (My CCW gun is my MK9 ). the MK9 does well with Hydra-Shoks

Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top