Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 8/30/2010 9:14:58 PM EDT
I haven't checked into the Kahr forum lately. My history with Kahr began with a very crappy PM40 and very crappy customer service from the company in regards to repairs. Then I bought a K40 Covert. It was better, but was so heavy I decided it wasn't for me either. Then after I became a police officer I bought a PM9, one of the newest models, to carry as a back-up and off duty. It was a totally different animal as far as being a noticeably better built firearm. Reliable and accurate. But I found myself never carrying it as I really didn't find my Glock 19 much more difficult to conceal and I felt the slight increase in burden was worth the added firepower. I later sold it to my mother so she could have a good concealed carry handgun.

Then the P380 came out and I began to fondle all of the new 380's. I checked out the Ruger LCP, the Kahr P380, the Taurus TCP, and Kel Tec P3AT. The gun store didn't get Diamond Back 380's in until after I bought a Kahr P380. I remember reading how everyone said the Kahr was way too expensive for a little 380. I have to say that the slightly higher one time fee to buy a Kahr P380 over any of the other 380's mentioned was well worth it. The difference is quality is noticeable just from handling them.

I finally got to put about 65 rounds through my P380 today and I must say I am totally impressed. The only problems occurred when I failed to follow instructions and use the slide release. And My shooting grip cause the slide to fail to lock back on the last round. None of this is a problem with the gun, but a result of me shooting predominantly Glocks for a long time and adapting to their ergonomic styling..

And for such a small gun that shoots a 380 I was expecting way more recoil. Even with Gold Dots the recoil seemed less than my previous PM9, from what I can remember anyway. And the recoil was significantly lighter than the Kel-Tec P3At I shot many moons ago.

Anyone interested in a 380 gun for concealed carry of back-up would be well served by the Kahr P380. And I'd say you would be hard pressed to find a similar gun of equal quality with a comparable price tag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:42:46 PM EDT
Thank you for the review...

i've been eyeballing one of those for a while now, will definately pick one up for a light weight ccw
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:39:50 PM EDT
The difference between the P380 and the PM9 is quite significant if you ask me. The PM9 really isn't too much smaller than a Glock 26 when they are compared side by side, though it is a bit easier to conceal. You will notice either one on your hip. And you might have to alter your choice in attire to allow for either to be carried. I have been wearing larger t shirts to accommodate my Glock 19 and did the same when I owned a G26 and PM9. With my P380 I can wear a smaller size of t shirt and have no problems concealing the P380 and I absolutely do not notice that it is on my hip.

Although I feel naked without my G19 when I'm out in public off duty, I feel comforted that I now have a quality gun that I have on hand to carry when situation dictates and my larger Glock 19 would not be feasible to carry. It fills a niche that the PM9, for all of its attributes, just cannot fill for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:30:39 AM EDT
just sold my LCP and will be getting my P380 this Saturday. Can't wait...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:57:31 PM EDT
I was able to handle the Taurus, Ruger LCP, and Kahr P380 prior to purchasing. I also handled the Diamond Back 380 after I bought my Kahr. I like my Kahr better because I find the grip angle on the Kahr more closely resembles that of the Glock platform I am accustomed to. The Taurus and Ruger felt awkward and cheap. The Diamond back and Kahr seemed to be better quality and I was able to justify the price difference.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Top Top