Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 12:07:05 PM EDT
I've got a Springfield Armory 1911A1 made in 1996.

Upon close examination of my pistol the other day, I noticed the ejector is dented at the tip. The pistol has always performed flawlessly but has probably 8,000 rounds through it. I have used mostly brass-cased ammo (Federal American Eagle and Speer Lawman) but have ran a fair amount of CCI Blazer through it.

I would guess that any amount of damage calls for replacing the ejector. Any input?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My SA is from the early '90's and has no such problem, just a little shiny, where the brass hits on the tip.
That piece should be relatively hard enough to last almost forever.
Do you see peening/mushrooming of the metal or just an irregular surface?
At least on mine, it looks like a semi-extended ejector, so you should have enough meat to blend in the "dent", and keep an eye on it for further peening.
Having a spare in stock is not a bad idea, but go with quality there.
I once bought an unknown make ejector (gunshow)
which finally shattered in 3 pieces after a few hundred rounds.
A few other spare parts can't hurt either, cutting the down time. By now, you probably should have changed the recoil spring, (for example).
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
It's actually starting to mushroom, but it's  slightly lopsided (the majority of the mushroom is off-center on the right side of the tip).
I just noticed it; unknown how long it's been like that. Does the tip of the ejector come into contact with any other steel part in the gun?

I guess I'll order a new one from Springfield and replace it. When I take the ejector pin out, is a small spring going to pop out somewhere? I've never taken an ejector out of a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Just "knock" the retaining pin out. You will need to drill the releif for the pin to fit the new ejector leg in frame. Easiest thing to do is "touch up" the ejector you have with a file to remove the burr, it should last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks gentleman
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
A little dressin' up, it should be fine, given your admitted gunsmithing abilities.
Honesty sure beats a hacksaw and a chisel horror story anyday!
To answer your question, DI, the tip of the ejector never hits anything but the spent rim, directing the empty out of the ejection port.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top