Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 9:16:52 PM EDT
Ok, I've been shooting my SS Champion for awhile.  It seems to shoot consistently to the right, now, even though it didn't do so when I first got it (that I can recall).   I didn't notice it before, but looking at the rear Novak night sight, it looks to be sitting noticeably to the right side of the frame.  The site is pinned and it doesn't move if I try to move it hand.  Is the rear sight adjustable?  If not, how do I correct this?  If it is, what's the appropriate way to bump the rear sight to the left a tad?

I know it's not my technique because with any of the other 3 1911s that I own (2 of them Springers), I can hit the vertical centerline of the target at will.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be an easy fix.  The novak sight has a screw that helps hold the sight in place.  But even when you unscrew it the sight is still held firmly in place just by the nature of the fit.

2 ways you can adjust it for POI:

1.  You can take out that screw and tap the sight using something that will not damage the sight.  I think there are special hammers and whatnot made for this.

2.  If you have a good gunsmith around, you can tell him how far off it shoots at a specific distance and he can make the calculations on how far it needs to be moved.  Some smiths have a machine which will do this with great precision.  My local smith has done this for me many times.

As far as not noticing it until now, perhaps it is you just getting used to the pistol.  I've had that happen with a couple of mine.  I don't think the POI ever changed, just my grip or the way I handled the pistol after shooting it for a while.

Good luck with the adjustment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Should be an easy fix.  The novak sight has a screw that helps hold the sight in place.  But even when you unscrew it the sight is still held firmly in place just by the nature of the fit.

2 ways you can adjust it for POI:

1.  You can take out that screw and tap the sight using something that will not damage the sight.  I think there are special hammers and whatnot made for this.

2.  If you have a good gunsmith around, you can tell him how far off it shoots at a specific distance and he can make the calculations on how far it needs to be moved.  Some smiths have a machine which will do this with great precision.  My local smith has done this for me many times.

As far as not noticing it until now, perhaps it is you just getting used to the pistol.  I've had that happen with a couple of mine.  I don't think the POI ever changed, just my grip or the way I handled the pistol after shooting it for a while.

Good luck with the adjustment.

Very good advice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top