Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 3:19:26 AM EDT
My New SA GI's slide has scratched the finish of of the frame where the slide meets the front part of the lower frame. Its pretty noticable and ruins the parked black look of the gun. Is there anything "I" can do myself to repair the scratches?

Or do I need to send it to someone? If so I will leave it the way it is. I could not bear to be with out any of my weapons for a long period. Besides I have only had it for about 2 weeks and I have grown seriously attached to it.

My marrige to my G17 of 4 years has ended. So It would be great if there were an over the counter fix for this problem. Thanks for any input given.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I;m not sure what part is scratched from your description, but won't it just scratch again?  Anyway, park is park, and you could do it at home if you had the material, knowhow, and tools.  It would probably cost i the neighborhood of $60 at least to get set up, and you would still need to disassemble, degrease, and beadblast the gun.

Outside of that or sending it to a refinisher, you can simply degrease the area and apply cold blue.  Cold blue is fragile, and succeptible to rust, but if it's a small area, cold blue will be almost unnoticeable from the park, and will get rid of the bare metal showing through.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they all scratch a bit around that area. Atleast all I have seen have some amount of wear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you buy an expensive 1911 that has been hand fitted, this is pretty common - My TRP is the first 1911 I have had that does not do this.

A smith can fix this for you. But until it is fixed, it will just happen again if you refinish it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top