Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 3:41:53 PM EDT
What can you tell me about these.  So far all I can find is the GI model (PX9707L) are there others?  I am shopping around for my first .45 and think I like Springfield the best but going from 15 rounds to 7 is hard to accept.  Any pros and cons to double vs. single stack and any 1911 info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am shopping around for my first .45 and think I like Springfield the best but going from 15 rounds to 7 is hard to accept.

I guess it is if you plan to miss a lot. The advantages of a classic, slim 1911 probably outweigh the mystique of a  high capacity look-alike.

Many of the double stack guns have seen more than their share of problems. Para may be the exception ,and I am sure that there are individual owners out there free from problems, but there are many documented cases of unacceptable reliability.

I carry a Springfield Ultra Compact (7+1) daily and sometimes carry my STI Trojan (8+1) when circumstances allow but I have never felt undergunned. It may be in the mindset.

If necessity requires it, I will be shooting with a mind to hit. My spare mag is just to reload so that I don't have an empty gun while waiting for the law to arrive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you cant hit the threat with 7+1 of .45 then you need more practice with your weapon and kiss your butt good by. That being said if you still prefer a high cap model then go for it it is your choice. I think the original configuration of the 1911 is what you want to go with. If its that hard for you ,you could always buy more mags.

I have never had a low cap model of any pistol I owned and had a hard time accepting downgrading to 7+1 until I compared the 9mm and .45 rounds. There is a big difference in stopping power. Take this from a guy who carries a G17 with 3 spare 17 round mags at all times.

I will be switching to a SA 1911 soon as my full time carry weapon as soon as I get one. My crappy Llama is in no way ever going to become a carry weapon that my life or families life depend on. Even after it gets out of the shop getting repairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top