Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 5:06:39 AM EDT
I am looking at their full size 1911 models. Being that the Mil-specs are the cheapest and I want a project gun I want to start on something cheap. I bought a Llama IX-B just to get the feel of a .45 but its crap.

I need info on how/what I can do to upgrade the Milspec model. I want to know stuff that I can do on my own and what I would need to get a smith to do. i am new to the 1911 format so please be easy.

Anyone who has don mods on their milspec 1911 springfields please give assistance.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#1]
50 views 0 responses. Come on baby.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually the GI model is the cheapest or just buy a loaded and save yourself a bunch of unnecessary labor
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the loaded.  worth the extra $.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1 on the loaded.  worth the extra $.

+2

save some time and $$$s, get the loaded for $650 NIB
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Loaded. Absolutely.
I bought a SA Champion (4") GI 1911.
Loved it, wanted to do a few upgrades, made a list of them.
Went to a gun show the next weekend and traded it and $300 on a stainless loaded model.

If I would have done all the things to the GI that were already on a loaded, Id be $500 poorer.
And still have to worry about re-finishing the parkerization on the GI.
Just shipping it out for a fitted beavertail will run you $150.

good luck!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for all your info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a Loaded  out the door for $630 over a year ago and I'm very happy with it..   A Mil spec would have served me just fine but after thinking about it. If I got a Mil Spec and just wanted to upgrade the sights I would basically have just about the same amount on money in that as a Loaded.  If you want a gun with the orginal WW2 configuration then hit the GI or Mil Spec, If you want more gun than that buy a Loaded.........  Every tool or gun I tried to go cheap on I've always spent more in the long run...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top