Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 5:12:57 PM EDT
Hi!

I just got a 1911 SS TRP and pulled it apart to lube it up.  Now I've got a problem.

This is a 2 piece guide rod which based on the instructions, is apart.  I have the slide on, the slide stop in (and have the stop shaft through the barrel link hole).  Now I'm trying to get the spring back in so I can put the cap back on and turn the bushing back around and holy shit this is hard.  

What's the trick?  Put the guide rod back together first so the spring has something to ride on?  Is there some way to compress the spring without it taking off on you or tearing the skin off your fingers?

Wow!

Thanks.

Edit: I managed to get the spring compressed and everything back together.  Damn!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure can't tell you anything about 2 piece guiderods because I don't use them. Otherwise, I hope this helps.

I push the recoil spring plug down until it is starting into the slide and then I use a barrel bushing wrench to depress it completely and rotate the barrel bushing. I guess that makes it sound a little more simple than it is, it is a two handed job, but that is the essence of it.

Just don't slip that barrel bushing wrench when the spring is compressed or you will be crawling around on your knees cussing.

Safety Note: eye protection is never a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
assemble the gun except for spring, plunger and the forward half of the guide rod. then put the spring in, turn the barrel bushing so it's out of the way, and then put the plunger on the end of the spring, push down HARD and STEADY and when it's flush with the slide, rotate the barrel bushing to hold it in place. Then screw in the other half of the guide rod.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The easiet way to reassemble it is to replace it with an Ed Brown USGI rod and plug. You can thank me later
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just don't slip that barrel bushing wrench when the spring is compressed or you will be crawling around on your knees cussing.

Safety Note: eye protection is never a bad idea.

The swearing & crawling part happened when I took it apart.  {reading manual}Now rotate the barrel bushing clockwise and slowly {SPROING!....DAMMIT where did that go}

I ended up doing exactly what you explained, pushing it down with the allen wrench and a towel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I about lost an eye putting together my Mil-Spec when I first got it.  Plunger hit the bone (socket) right about my right eye.  Gave me a nice cut and a black swollen bruise for about a week.  Since then I've always used a bushing wrench.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top