Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#1]
Tossed a couple coats of Tung oil on the factory grips over the past couple of days. Had some leftover from a Garand stock I did over the summer, so I figured a little protection on these grips couldn’t hurt:

Darkened up a bit as I expected, but I think they look much better now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nra-Life-Member:

When did Mec-Gar offer the 20 round magazines?  Never saw them at any local shops years ago.
View Quote

If you're not above a little file work, grab the 3rd Gen S&W 20 round MecGar magazines. With a little work on the mag catch they fit and function without issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked mine up last night.  Looks just like all the rest of them posted recently.

15K SN range.  Finish looks good, and uniform, slide to frame fit is tight, and the extractor passes the "rattle" test.  

Hopefully I'll get a range day during my vacation next month.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
Picked mine up last night.  Looks just like all the rest of them posted recently.

15K SN range.  Finish looks good, and uniform, slide to frame fit is tight, and the extractor passes the "rattle" test.  

Hopefully I'll get a range day during my vacation next month.
View Quote
Picked mine up yesterday as well, sounds like we got twins. I'm very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Took mine out for the first time today and ran 150 rounds through it.

The only issue I ran into was due to the safety partially engaging during firing, likely due to my hand/thumb placement. The safety is pretty mushy on mine, like barely clicks to engage or disengage, so bumping it just slightly will cause it to lock the trigger up.

I may see if Springfield will open an RMA for it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always wanted a Hi Power.  It seems this one would be a good one to get.  Has it been deemed a solid, reliable gun at this point?  Thinking of buying one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
I've always wanted a Hi Power.  It seems this one would be a good one to get.  Has it been deemed a solid, reliable gun at this point?  Thinking of buying one tomorrow.
View Quote

If it's a newer production one they may have worked out the extractor problem. I had the extractor problem mine was a low serial number. You can read about it here

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Springfield-SA-35-and-the-extractor-issue/34-207994/

My serial number is in the 1100 range.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#8]
View Quote

Mine is in the 11XXX sn range. I have had no problems through the first 1800 rounds or so. The extractor seems to be working ok (it has been suggested the way the cut was made in the slide was causing problems), and I haven't had any issues with the safety sliding up during firing (which could be influenced by shooting position).
Most of the reviews on it are now over a year old, and the most recent one that I've seen is still like 8 or 9 months old. It's not the new hotness anymore.
The reviews from users on here seem to indicate that the production issues have been worked out and the pistol is now looking like it will be a reliable model. I at least haven't seen anything bad on the newer production models. There are still some really old/low sn number pistols showing up, and that seems to be where the problems are.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:15:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#9]
Recommendations on the best place to buy one at the moment?  Looks like retail $699 + tax ($40) = $740 is about the best I can currently find.

ETA:  3 in local shops, all $799.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#10]
This is a shop a little ways up the road from me in Seymour, Indiana. They want $700 for a used one...

https://www.btbguns.com/product/springfield-armory-sa-35-95

I have the feeling it's probably an early one that was traded back in after it had extraction issues.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Recommendations on the best place to buy one at the moment?  Looks like retail $699 + tax ($40) = $740 is about the best I can currently find.

ETA:  3 in local shops, all $799.
View Quote

$699 is likely the new ‘good deal’ price. Springfield bumped the MSRP to $799 at the first of the year.

Around me they’re all priced between $769 and $799 now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#12]
Originally Posted By 4FishLimit:

$699 is likely the new 'good deal' price. Springfield bumped the MSRP to $799 at the first of the year.

Around me they're all priced between $769 and $799 now.
View Quote

That's about what I figured.  I placed an order at OnlineOutfitters for $699.  Shortly after placing the order I got the "out of stock, refund will be issued" message.   If I've got 3 of them local to me at MSRP, I guess I'm not in an a hurry to buy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]

That's about what I figured.  I placed an order at OnlineOutfitters for $699.  Shortly after placing the order I got the "out of stock, refund will be issued" message.   If I've got 3 of them local to me at MSRP, I guess I'm not in an a hurry to buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

$699 is likely the new 'good deal' price. Springfield bumped the MSRP to $799 at the first of the year.

Around me they're all priced between $769 and $799 now.

Bummer.

I’ve seen a couple pop up as in stock at my local Scheels the past couple of weeks, but they still sell out in a day or or two listed at $769. Demand is obviously still there.

Good luck in tracking one down!
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked mine up yesterday from my FFL buddy.

Went to field strip it this morning, lube it, inspect it, etc. Found to was difficult to get the slide catch out. The bottom notch on the slide catch didn't want to clear the frame in order to pop it loose. I was gently tapping with a nylon tipped brass hammer & had to pop it pretty good to get the GD thing started.

Everything else looked normal. Lubed it & reassembled it. Hope to shoot it tomorrow.

Mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By USPguy:
Picked mine up yesterday from my FFL buddy.

Went to field strip it this morning, lube it, inspect it, etc. Found to was difficult to get the slide catch out. The bottom notch on the slide catch didn't want to clear the frame in order to pop it loose. I was gently tapping with a nylon tipped brass hammer & had to pop it pretty good to get the GD thing started.

Everything else looked normal. Lubed it & reassembled it. Hope to shoot it tomorrow.

Mine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577645/HP_jpg-2708226.JPG
View Quote

Mine was really hard to get out at first (it has gotten better), but I found moving it up and down slightly while pushing it out helped. You may already be doing that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Bummer.

I've seen a couple pop up as in stock at my local Scheels the past couple of weeks, but they still sell out in a day or or two listed at $769. Demand is obviously still there.

Good luck in tracking one down!
View Quote

Found one via a kitchen-table FFL on Armslist.  NIB for $699 + $29 shipping.  Only concern is that it's an early one, but sounds like SA is taking care of the extraction issues on the early ones if so.  Hopefully it'll ship tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:21:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#17]
Picked it up yesterday.  I really like the way it feels.  After holding it and then a 1911, the front strap of the 1911 was very noticeable.  I'm looking forward to shooting it.  I even like the looks and the feel of the factory grips.  I need to look at the S/N and see if it appears to be an early gun or a later one.

Suggestions on additional mags?  Any brands I should look for or stay away from?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Picked it up yesterday.  I really like the way it feels.  After holding it and then a 1911, the front strap of the 1911 was very noticeable.  I'm looking forward to shooting it.  I even like the looks and the feel of the factory grips.  I need to look at the S/N and see if it appears to be an early gun or a later one.

Suggestions on additional mags?  Any brands I should look for or stay away from?
View Quote

MecGar seems to be the go to. They make the OEM mags. You can usually find them on sale for a decent price. The "sale" prices at B&H tend to still be above where they are normally priced elsewhere. Midway usually has them as does Brownell's.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

MecGar seems to be the go to. They make the OEM mags. You can usually find them on sale for a decent price. The "sale" prices at B&H tend to still be above where they are normally priced elsewhere. Midway usually has them as does Brownell's.
View Quote

I think I got mine from Lanbo's for $18 and change per mag.

Still no SA-35 though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

I think I got mine from Lanbo's for $18 and change per mag.

Still no SA-35 though.
View Quote

Good prices. Midway is currently OOS/backorder ok for about $25, and Brownell's is over $30.
I had a box full of mags, a holster, grips, extractor and spring, sights, and some other stuff for pretty much the whole year that I was waiting on my SA35 to come through, so you're not alone.
Grab A Gun has some, but you're going to pay significantly over list to get one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi Power Magazines

Try these folks out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Decent price for Mec Gar mags.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/BROWNING-HP-9MM-15RD-FLUSH-FIT-BLUED-MAG-NEW-MEC-GAR-14p6384.htm
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Most of the serials I’ve seen mentioned on people who have been able to pick one up lately have been in the 14-15K range, including mine.

Local Scheels had one in the case last week but didn’t get a chance to check to see what serial it was.

As mentioned, MecGar is the supplier for Springfield. Anything under $20 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 226man:
Hi Power Magazines

Try these folks out.
View Quote

I just ordered and received five from them last week. No issues other than the fact I don’t have the pistol to match.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

I just ordered and received five from them last week. No issues other than the fact I don't have the pistol to match.
View Quote

Ground Zero Guns in Camdenton MO had 2 in in stock when I spoke with them.  Pistols Plus in Osage Beach MO had 1 in stock when I spoke with them.  Both shops were priced $799.

I found mine @  699 through a kitchen-table FFL listed on Armslist.

Just in case that helps anyone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Picked up a Cylinder & Slide safety detent kit and extra power trigger return spring:

Tossed them in this evening. IMO the safety detent kit is 100% worth it. The spring is noticeably stiffer than the OE Springfield part. Coupled with the pointier profile on the detent you get a 1911 like ‘snick’ when engaging and disengaging the safety.

I’m 50/50 on the trigger return spring. Wire diameter is the same as the factory spring, but it is a bit stiffer. Trigger reset is a little more audible and tactile, but it’s not a hugely noticeable difference. I do like the little firmer pre-travel it provides and didn’t notice any change in trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Recommendations on the best place to buy one at the moment?  
View Quote

inquiring mind what to know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wtwining:

View Quote
Found mine from a kitchen table FFL listed on Armslist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#29]
For those looking, Sportsman Fulfillment shows in stock at $719:

https://www.sportsmanfulfillment.com/springfield-armory-sa-35-4-7-9mm-luger-15-rounds/

Sportsman Fulfillment is the online sister company to Fin Feather Fur and should be good to go. According to gun.deals they are currently the lowest in stock price online right now.

I’ve seen a few out in the wild the past couple of weeks now, so availability seems to be getting better. They’ve all been priced between $749 and $799 (MSRP).

Stumbled into some Mec-Gar 15 rounders at a shop today for $23 each, so I snagged a couple.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Tossed a couple coats of Tung oil on the factory grips over the past couple of days. Had some leftover from a Garand stock I did over the summer, so I figured a little protection on these grips couldn’t hurt:

https://i.imgur.com/Jvx4Y5Z.jpg

Darkened up a bit as I expected, but I think they look much better now.
View Quote

I really like that.  I have done boiled linseed oil I might rub mine down with.  Looks good
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#31]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:

I really like that.  I have done boiled linseed oil I might rub mine down with.  Looks good
View Quote

Thanks.

BLO or Linseed would be a good choice too, Tung is just what I happened to have laying around.

I’m a little bummed the grips on my particular gun didn’t have much character compared to some of the SA-35 factory grips, but being the only one in stock and just the second one I had seen in person since they were released I couldn’t be too picky lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks.

BLO or Linseed would be a good choice too, Tung is just what I happened to have laying around.

I’m a little bummed the grips on my particular gun didn’t have much character compared to some of the SA-35 factory grips, but being the only one in stock and just the second one I had seen in person since they were released I couldn’t be too picky lol.
View Quote

There's no varnish on the grips?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#33]

View All Quotes

Thanks.

Nope, untreated except for some sort of stain. That also seemed to be the general consensus on various forums as well.

They soaked up the oil well, I poured a bit in a red solo cup, dunked them in for a few seconds and let them drip dry for for an hour before wiping the excess off.

Did that twice and let them air dry overnight before tossing them in my furnace room (elevated temps) for a couple more days to fully cure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogrobber13] [#34]

View All Quotes
Recommendations on the best place to buy one at the moment?  

I bought 10 mags from lanbos for $15ea when this gun was announced knowing I would get one.

Never found one at a reasonable price.

Found one in stock at mymollysfirearms.com for $649.99 + $35 shipping on 3/6.

Emailed them to check if it was physically in stock and for cheaper shipping option and they sent me a free shipping code.

Just filled out 4473 at my ffl today.

$650 + $20 transfer, now I just have to pick it up.

Going to be a long week as I work 3rd and can't pick it up until sat!

ETA; Never mind, OOS and they raised the price to $726.99.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Are any of the BHP smiths out there working on these?  I find the trigger reset to be unbearably long.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Are any of the BHP smiths out there working on these?  I find the trigger reset to be unbearably long.
View Quote

Interested in this as well.  Keep finding recommendations to smiths who have retired, passed away, or cylinder&slide, they’re 2+ years out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
View Quote

https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/BHP9
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#39]
That was the rumor I think.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

I thought C&S had announced retirement. Did Bill find someone to take over for him?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I didn't know they were shutting down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#43]
No affiliation with the seller, just got an email from Grab A Gun that they have the SA35 in stock for $799.99.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Found and bought one today.  Price not great, not terrible.  How's the bite from the hammer?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Hater:
Found and bought one today.  Price not great, not terrible.  How's the bite from the hammer?
View Quote

I've never been bit by a HP hammer... same with this one. After almost 2,000 rounds I've never been bit by the hammer
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

I've never been bit by a HP hammer... same with this one. After almost 2,000 rounds I've never been bit by the hammer
View Quote
Asked because the counter guy (not a Fudd by any means) was showing me a Girsan tactical (beavertail) at the same time, and said that was one he could shoot without getting bitten.  I was taught to shoot with my grip high in the tang, so we'll see.  

Happy with my purchase, either way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Scheel’s currently has the SA-35 on sale at the old MSRP of $699:

https://www.scheels.com/p/springfield-armory-sa-35-full-size-pistol/70639794396.html

Several stores in Minnesota/Dakotas show them in stock.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally saw my first one in the wild at the gun show today. They had it marked $950.00. I asked if he would take MSRP 799.99. He went down to $900.00 LOL. Nope!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Picked mine up last week and finally got to shoot it. $719.99 +tax. If I bought it in the last batch I would have paid $649.99

I finally have a HP I can shoot again. So far a few hundred rounds through it. So far,so good!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I just shot mine for the first time yesterday, and I was amazed how fast I can shoot it.
I was worried about the long trigger reset, but I can shot it way faster then my G17.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top