Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 1:35:35 PM EDT
One of these will be my next 1911 purchase. But which one?

Will be range toy only, have other guns for HD and EDC.

I have finger banged both at LGS's, and can't decide.

My initial thoughts are, go with the RO as it's a few bucks less, and weight is not an issue as it's only going to be a range gun. But I don't like the fiber optic front sight (easy enough to change I guess). And I do prefer the short guide rod/plug arrangement of the RO over the LW operators full length GR set up. Ambi safety is not needed or wanted, nor are the night sights that come on the LW.

So I think i have just basically stated my case for going with the RO over the LW, unless I am missing something.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Brad
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
From what you have stated sounds like your going to be happiest with the RO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the LW Champion Operator... It's now my favorite pistol of the bunch. If you think there is a smidgen of a chance that you will ever carry the pistol then the LW is the answer. If there is a smidgen of chance you will use it as a HD pistol, then the LW is the answer. I put the TLR-1s on in the afternoon/evening after CCW-ing it and the LW makes for a superb HD pistol... especially with the 10 round McCormick RPM mags and the light combo. More than twice now have I used it for the bump in the night instances... I rotate EDC between a CZ P-01 and the LW Champion so the choice was easy for me. Post pics and a range report whaterver you decide. Both are good pistols. But I really hate a FO front sight too!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a LW Champion Operator a few years ago. I didn't really notice the weight difference when loaded compared to my Kimber Warrior, which was all steel and full length. Picking them up I could tell, but carrying them for a few hours, I noticed how damn big they were with a light over anything else. I eventually got rid of both, the Springfield because I was idiotically worried about the aluminum frame and the Kimber because of feed issues. I think the aluminum frame would still be holding up just fine today if I kept it. But I just bought another Springfield for our anniversary, it's actually a RO Operator. So, that's what I would go with, even though I also hate the FO sight. Posting pics on Tuesday!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a LW Champion Operator a few years ago. I didn't really notice the weight difference when loaded compared to my Kimber Warrior, which was all steel and full length. Picking them up I could tell, but carrying them for a few hours, I noticed how damn big they were with a light over anything else. I eventually got rid of both, the Springfield because I was idiotically worried about the aluminum frame and the Kimber because of feed issues. I think the aluminum frame would still be holding up just fine today if I kept it. But I just bought another Springfield for our anniversary, it's actually a RO Operator. So, that's what I would go with, even though I also hate the FO sight. Posting pics on Tuesday!
View Quote
The LW Operator is a hefty enough frame to handle a steady diet of standard and +P .45acp. The 24lb captured recoil spring does a fantastic job of taming recoil. I honestly cannot tell a difference in recoil between my Loaded and the LW Operator shooting the same ammo back to back. Except that the LW is more accurate. I wouldn't go and convert the Aluminum framed LW to a .45Super or anything though. But for full house .45acp and +P it's more than up to the task... I enjoy the LW more than the Gov't length Loaded; for it's compactness, lightweight carry, and the ability to attach a TLR-1s for nightstand duty is nice.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the LW Operator.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a RO Operator in 9MM a couple weeks ago, only had it out once and really like it so far, went to a new range and was able to shoot steel for the first time, maybe the ping of that steel had a little to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my LWCO.   I'd go lightweight myself but I'm biased. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Range only gun I would just look for the standard RO model.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Range only, go with a standard RO. They are a fine value for the cost. I had one loved over by SACS when they still were still offering actual services. I regret selling it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top