Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2017 6:43:59 AM EDT
I have a late 90's TRP champion that has just never shot well.  Failures to feed/eject no matter what ammo or mags I use.  In addition the trigger pull is crisp, but easily 7-10 lbs and I'd like to have that fixed as well.

I know the custom shop isn't doing any work till march, so I am guessing all they will address are the feeding issues which would be covered under warranty.

Instead of being without this gun till Spring, Im half tempted to just take it to a local smith to have all of the feeding issues corrected, the trigger pull fixed, and to also have new sights installed.

It would cost more $$$, but I'd have the gun back quicker.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
my experience with Springfield on 2 occasions was pretty quick turn around time.
the trigger pull may be a part of the issue you're having. Be sure to address all the issues.
Personally, unless its the only handgun you have, I'd send it to the Armory for repair and if
the trigger pull is still an issue, then have a local smithy do that work.
Chef
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#2]
SA had a 1911 back in my hands 14 days door to door.  Wait till shot is over.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]
And you are talking warranty work, not custom shop.  They are two different entities.  They turn warranty work around pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#4]
SA is great with warranty related issues. I had a barrel changed out due to a defect and my 1911 was back in my hands in 2 weeks.

Regarding your local "gunsmith", just be wary that there are plenty of gunsmiths that can really fuck up a 1911. Good 1911 smiths are not all that common and the good ones normally have quite a backlog.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SA is great with warranty related issues. I had a barrel changed out due to a defect and my 1911 was back in my hands in 2 weeks.

Regarding your local "gunsmith", just be wary that there are plenty of gunsmiths that can really fuck up a 1911. Good 1911 smiths are not all that common and the good ones normally have quite a backlog.
View Quote

That second part is soooo true.   We had a pretty well liked local gunsmith, more of a rifle smith, but he could do anything. Or not.
He hacked a simple job of pinning a 1911 ejector in, by not pinning it.
Took me a couple hours to clean all the red locktite out of the gun, and the ejector came loose again anyway.   Really glad he did not try to pin it after all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Send it in. It will be done right by SA and will be covered by warranty no charges to you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send it in. It will be done right by SA and will be covered by warranty no charges to you.
View Quote

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top