Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 9:51:37 AM EDT
I've been thinking about extended mags for my Mod 2 9mm for a while. I used to have a Glock 17 with a factory 31rd mag, and I always felt like that was a cool thing to have. Beretta makes OEM 30 or 32rd (can't remember) for 92 series pistols. So why doesn't Springfield make one for the XD line? And on a related note; does Springfield even make their own factory mags, or are they made by Mecgar or somebody like that? I know Mecgar makes XD mags. I've heard nothing but bad news about Promag. The only option I can consider is the Arredondo +5 base plates. Does anyone else smell what I'm stepping in?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea why SA does not make extended magazine for the XD line but there are plenty of third party extensions to add to OEM mag bodies and if your willing to role the dice ProMag makes extended magazines for the XD/XD MOD2.

I have been running Arredondo extended base-pads mags in my XD-40 for years in USPSA competition.  In all the years of using them in competition dropping them in the mud, gravel, concrete etc I think I have broken one, currently have 6 mags with the Arrendondo extensions.

AGP also makes a polymer extension but it will be too long for USPSA Limited (if you care).  Pistol Gear also has their own 140mm and 170mm extensions for OEM mag bodies that are made from aluminum.  And like I said ProMag makes magazine with extended bodies.  They have a 32rd XD-9 magazine and a 20rd XD-40 magazine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I would imagine offering extended mags for the XD may cannibalize some XDm sales since the larger mag capacity is a selling feature. Also, 30rd pistol mags are a novelty so SA may not see the market and subsequent return being that large.

I had an Arredondo extension on my XDm and it worked well. It was a +5 that actually only have me +4 iirc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top