Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2016 1:33:50 AM EDT
My brand new EMP 4 9mm always jams after the 1 round is fired. I can drop the mag but the slide jams so bad I have to hammer on it to get the next round to battery because I can not budge the slide either way manually.  I can get it to fire the stuck round to expend it.  Later at home I loaded a mag tried to work the slide manually but the same thing happens. I have only been able to fire about 6 rounds.

As I already admitted it was an ammo problem.  Springfield took the gun back and worked on it. It is running fine.  Love the looks and size of this gun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that doesn't sound right at all. Might need to send it back to Springfield to fix it. Sounds like you might have just gotten a lemon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You did lube it, right?

Springer will take care of you, and you can ship it back yourself.  They'll send you a shipping label so no out of pocket cost.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Sorry to hear that.

When I saw the EMP 4 come out I put it on my short list.

I bought a STI Rogue online years ago which is like a regulat size EMP.

Mag did not seat flush.

They told me "we're still working on that."

Me- "WTFFF? Still working on that?!"

Got my money back less some costs for amgun I never fired.

Maybe 1911 just doesn't want to be scaled down and done in 9mm.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Well that sucks, mine runs like a swiss watch.  Have you field striped it to see if anything is binding or looked at the fired casing to seed if the  brass has any obvious gouges.  Was that with factory ammo.  It sounds like the brass is getting stuck in the chamber?  I would call Springfield asap.  Good luck. David
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, give us more info on the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
What ammo are you using?

Does the ammo drop freely in and out of the barrel, fully seated, with the barrel out of the gun?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses.

The ammo could be suspect but it worked fine in my Beretta 92 and Glock 43.  It loaded the first round, fired and ejected it okay.  It jammed when it tried to load the second.  I did not shoot it much because I was too concerned about damaging the gun.

I'll check the barrel drop free test for sure.

I have been very busy with work and family but I plan on tearing it apart and closely inspecting, cleaning and re-lubing everything.  I let everyone know what happens.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Check to make sure the ejector isnt up off the frame. They have just been glued in not pinned. They rub the slide and can stop it dead. If it racks easy by hand never mind.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:11:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay... it probably was the ammo.  Many of the rounds did not freely drop in and out of the barrel when removed from the slide while the better ammo did.  They were a loose bulk purchase of NEW ammo from a well known manufacturer.  A thorough cleaning and a quick trip to the desert with no malfunctions using three magazines.  Only fired about thirty rounds though.

Now for the cry baby stuff.  I was kind of disappointed with the machining on the slide, especially the portion of the slide the hammer rides on.  There is a 3 digit number sloppily hand engraved on it!?  The machining is very rough.  I will post pics when I figure out how to do it.  Some other areas do not look so good either.  I checked a few other much less expensive guns and they did look better.  Meanwhile, I allow e mail so if anyone is interested I would be happy to send them.

I will be calling Springfield to see what they say.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm guessing the electro pencil marking is to match the parts.  Not something I care about but it tells me Springfield is doing some type of hand assembly/inspection on and assembly line gun.  Besides most aka have electro pencil on them and they work fine. David
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably a chamber that was cut on the tighter side.  

The EMPs are plagued with QC issues.  My original EMP 9 went back to the factory and I have seen at least two other postings of people having issues.  Springfield has excellent customer service but they seem to think that their customers are the quality control department.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't seem to post pics yet but I'll keep trying.  I was as little frustrated because of the cost.  Wanted some feedback to gauge whether I was being too critical.   Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE
Sent an e mail and pictures to Springfield.  I made no demands but I did show a little disappointment.  I received a prepaid FedEx label to send my EMP 4 to them for evaluation I guess because they did not comment.  So they get a star for service.

I'll keep you posted.  Again if anyone would like to see the pics you can message me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a call early last week from Springfield.  They asked me why I sent the gun back to them...?  To recap what happened, I sent them an inquiry note with pictures.  That's all, no repair demand or suggestion.  A few days later I got the notice and label to send it in to Springfield so I figured they saw something.  If they said it was normal or acceptable I would have said okay.  Now they have had it for a month.  I told them not to waste their time with mine and did not want unnecessary modifications and send it back to me so they could work on guns with real problems.  But no word at this time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe someone will look it over just the same and check that everything is in spec.  I lot of people write up a note about their issue and put it in the box for the return.  If they didn't find anything from you in the box I say good on them for double checking with you.  David
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Or....you could have written an accurate description of the problems, stating what was going on, and requested them to fix a pistol you spent alot of money on. Communication.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I guess I could have but I did not have a function problem.  The pictures I sent them were finish issues.  Just hope I get it back soon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#18]
The three digit numbering is also on my TRPs.  They are fitted and matched during the assembly process.  I have the original EMP and that has been problem free.  I waited a few years to buy after they came out to work any issues out.  You always need to do an ammo drop test with any ammo you carry and shoot.  I shoot my guns with full power nato spec velocity to help break in the gun.  Underpowered ammo such as UMC or other unknown remfg'd ammo should be avoided until after the break in process.  Parts need to mate to themselves.  Most companies fire one or two magzazines to function test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top