Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 7:52:49 PM EDT
I'm looking for a relatively cheap, less than $450 or so, revolver.  I would like to use it for a CCW so I need a short barrel with fairly high power.  

I was looking at some Rossi's but there is to much against them that I have found to get one.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger sp-101, of smithy model 36, I have experience with those two snubbies, and would recomend them. They're easily found for under $450 too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
7.62x54

I always had a soft spot for the Smith and Wesson K frames in a 3" HB, round butt in either 38 or 357.  Had both blue model 13 (357) and stainless steel model 64 (38 spl) or 65 (357).  The three inch balances nicely, gives decent velocity, full length case extraction, and the round butt hides nicely.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger SP-101 or if you want a 6 shot a 3" barreled Ruger GP-100.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow. There are so many out there it's hard even to start.

For CC, you probably should stick to a 4" barrel or less. There are the small framed guns, the Colt D frames, Smith J frames and the Ruger SP series. Then there are the Smith K and L framed models, the Colt I frames and the small frame Dan Wessons.

My personal favolrite in the small frames is the Colt Detective Special. Small enough to carry in your pocket but with a slightly larger grip than the J or SP and 6 round capacity.

Next, I would choose a Smith M-19 or small frame DW with one of the shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at the new Taurus guns...much better quality than the Rossi guns. Ditto what Combat_Diver and sig_230 said...except that I would put the little 5 shot J frame S&W's ahead of the Colts by a nose. JMO
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys.  I'm looking really hard at the Ruger SP101.  I am going to look at them today but I will keep the others in mind.  I have a very reliable Ruger rifle so I figure the revolvers are the same way.  Probably will get one if I can find one under $450 with tax and new grips (the ones that come on it don't look very comfortable).  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got home with the new revolver...
Ruger GP100, blued, 4inch barrel, adjustable sights.  Decided maybe the gun, G30, I originally got for CC will work if I can find a good holster.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
i am lost; you got a new gun and you also decide to use your old gun for WHAT?

i like the ruger sp100 or 101.  i would not keep a gun in a car when i am not in the car.  it is best to keep on gun (most trusty) with you 24/7.  if u have a job in non-gun area, then it should be locked up tight at home and you can carry a big ass knife in the car.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are leaving out the Ruger Security/Speed/Service-Six series.  You can find them with 2 3/4", 4" or 6" barrels, round or square butt, fixed or adjustable sights, and they fit in just about any holster that will hold a K-frame Smith with the same barrel length.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top