Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/13/2003 5:00:15 AM EDT
Hi there revolver fans, I've got a challenge for you. I have a beautiful S&W model 29 that I'm trying to dig up more info on. I haven't seen another like it and can't find it in any of my 'historic' shooting mags. The gun is a 44 mag, N frame. It has a color case hardened (I think) hammer and trigger. The hammer has the pin mounted in it. The barrel is around 6" long, the blueing beautiful, deep blue. The barrel has a full underlug, the cylinder is unfluted. This thing has an action thats smooth as glass. The rear sight is adjustable with a white outline and the front is a red insert. When I swing out the cylinder I see the SN and 29-5 or it may be 29-S, I can't tell. What is the gun? Custom shop? Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:04:59 AM EDT
Sounds like a 1990's limited run gun done for Lew Horton or Camfour. Call S&W Customer Service with the serial number and they can tell you when it was produced and if it was a limited run.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:43:20 AM EDT

When I swing out the cylinder I see the SN and 29-5 or it may be 29-S, I can't tell.

It probably is a number "5" rather than a letter "S". S&W has a tendency to put some sort of suffix on the model numbers of some of their guns. I, for example, have a 625-6 in .45 ACP. DavidC gave you some good advice. S&W Customer Service should be able to help you track down the orgins.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:05:16 PM EDT
S&W will letter the gun for $30.00. You can download the for from their website. Roy Jinks will tell you what you want to know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:41:58 AM EDT
thanks for the info guys. I'll give them a call and see what I can find out. But I'm not real keen on giving them the SN. Tin foil hat you know!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:30:44 PM EDT
Way not give them the serial number? Honest, they have most of them already? And if you ever send it back for work, they might just get it anyway?

They are good folk and will letter it for you, but they really do have to have the serieal number to do it.
Top Top