Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 7:46:56 PM EDT
I am looking at a used Taurus model 441.  It is in very good condition, looks new.  I noticed some moment or play in the cylinder, it is the same when the gun is cocked.  Is this normal or bad?  If it is normal how much is to much?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure there's a way to measure it but I don't know what it is.  I've noticed that nearly all revolvers have a touch of play, enough that you can feel it move.  You don't want it to move very much though, for obvious reasons.  Sorry I can't be of more help.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what kind of "play".
If you mean the cylinder can be rotated slightly from side to side, this is normal for all revolvers, as long as it isn't a symptom of a worn or battered locking bolt or cylinder locking notches.

About the only revolvers that lock up tightly at the moment of firing are the old Colt revolvers like the Python.  All other revolvers MUST have some rotational play to allow the cylinder to properly align with the barrel.

If the cylinder has "end shake", that is, fore and aft movement, this is a symptom of problems.

So, unless the revolver shows battering or other damage to the cylinder lock notches, or the rotation seems excessive when compared to another Taurus, you're probably Ok.

If the revolver cylinder can be moved back and forth, you have problems that need to be addressed by a gunsmith.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top