Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/10/2003 7:09:52 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy a model 36, bobbed hammer, a cheapo holster, 300 .38 spl. rounds, and 2 speed loaders for $200. Is this a good deal?
The gun looks barely used, but a gunsmith bobbed and blued the original hammer. Would this make a difference in firing? now that there is less weight striking the primer?
So I guess this was two questions!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:14:46 PM EDT
If the weapon is good functioning order/ no abuse then yes it is a good deal. If you know someone with experience with revolvers have them look at it. The bobbed hammer will have no effect on firing except to make it double action only. It can be replace by good smith. They are great little guns and wish I could snag one for that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:57:08 PM EDT
If it functions, BUY IT! Just make sure first that the lightened hammer doesn't make the firing pin impact too light for it to fire consistently.

Good catch, dude, quite a bargain IMNSHO
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:19:45 AM EDT
Buy it. Put a new S&W hammer spring and trigger return in it for a few $$ and sleep better at night. The little "J" frames do not have much hammer mass to begin with...cutting off the spur makes it slightly lighter still...which is usually no big deal UNLESS some clown has also cut or changed out the hammer spring and trigger return spring to "lighten up" the action. These guns are not supposed to have light actions...they are supposed to go "BANG" every time you pull the smooth but fairly heavy trigger.

Good deal and no problem to get or install the springs. If you decide to let S&W replace springs, be aware that they will also replace the "non-standard" hammer as well and charge you for it...liability issues.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:58:02 AM EDT
Thanks guys, by the end of this week, I'll get ahold of him and see if he sold it yet. If not, I'm getting a 36!
Top Top