Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2003 7:27:08 AM EDT
Call me a traditionalist, but lately I've had the urge to get a .38 snubbie. I have a Taurus 605 snubbie .357, but I'm thinking of a Colt Detective Special or Agent, or a S&W 36.

Anybody got opinions on these? I'm not in a real hurry, the budget being what it is, just looking to see what other folks have experienced...
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:38:50 PM EDT
My vote is for the Detective special, like the ones in the old movies! I haven't heard much on the Agent, but I had a chance at a Det. special for $250 pretty much new, but that was in my Automatic supremacist days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:11:32 AM EDT
I prefer the D framed Colts over the J framed Smiths. The slightly larger grip on the Colts gives me better control and 6 instead of 5 rounds.

One thing that will make life better is to invest in a good pocket holster. I like the ones from Lou Alessi and from High Noon Holsters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:01:25 PM EDT
I carry a Colt Detective Special. Great, high quality gun. I've also carried the alloy versions (both Cobra and Agent) and they are the same gun (some small differences in grip), just lighter. I switched back and forth between the Cobra and the Det Spec off and on until some really hot gun I just had to have (and no longer own) came my way and I sold it. Looking back on it, I should have kept the Cobra and bought a hammer shroud for it. That would be a pretty nice set-up.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:06:20 PM EDT
I love my snubbies!

Fortunately I have big pockets!

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:29:13 PM EDT
I have a Colt agent... A good pair of Pachmayrs makes a good gun even better. If you were going to carry it a good holster would be a good idea because of the exposed ejector.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:15:53 AM EDT
S&W Chief's Specials are superb handguns. I have both a nickel plated and a SS (model 60). The actions on them are so smooth I cannot imagine owning any other brand of DA revolver. The 5 round cylinders are easier to conceal in a rear pocket holster IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:54:14 PM EDT
I recently picked up a S&W model 66-2, 2.5" barrel. The more I shoot it the more I love it. It is far more accurate than I expected it to be.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:17:07 PM EDT
I love my S&W 642 Airweight. Light enough to not notice, but not so light that it is uncontrolable with +P .38s. I like the enlosed hammer...no pocket lint in that area.

The Hogue 1 piece slip on grips are GREAT.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:48:00 PM EDT
Excellent! Got some good info, here. If the budget weren't a concern, it'd be easier, but... My Dad just recently got a S&W 36, so I'll be sure to test that one, but the Colts really do appeal to me, too. Ah, decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:40:31 PM EDT
I carry a 638 daily...It's just a little bigger than the regular pocket guns(.22/.32)but I like it...
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:38:57 PM EDT
I'm going to get a S&W model 638. aluminum framed stainless "Humpback" Bodyguard J Frame
.38 Special and load it with Glaser Safety Slugs
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:44:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Logansdad:
I'm going to get a S&W model 638. aluminum framed stainless "Humpback" Bodyguard J Frame
.38 Special and load it with Glaser Safety Slugs

Great choice in guns, bad choice in ammo. Shallow penetration.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:32:54 PM EDT
I never shot one into gelatin or anything else for that matter
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:54:18 PM EDT
i'm about to get back into revolvers myself. i've been shopping around and pretty much decided on the S&W titanium centennial. i like the colt d-frames, but they command some pretty outrageous prices, IMO. i haven't been able to find a used model for less than $400. i haven't found one in any condition that i would buy for less than $450. i found one magnum carry with a near $600 price tag.
they're great little wheelguns, but not that much better than the S&W j-frames.
Top Top