Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2003 5:22:55 PM EDT
Okay, so i'm a kid, whoo hoo. I like Anime, i like guns, hmmm, now i want to combine the two. This is kind of a vague question becasue i'm not really sure what to ask. In this Anime series, Trigun, the main character, Vash the Stampede carried a really awesome revolver, and i've looked everywhere to see if someone actually makes it, but could only find plastic models and such. So, i was wondering if there a way for to get one custom made from drawings, or maybe they have plans, i'm not sure. Anyways, if anyone knows of a custom gunmaking company or something, i guess that would help. If you're curious, here's a picture of a resin model of the gun.

Model of Vash's gun

here's a shot of it from the Anime

Vash with his gun

The caliber is .45 Colt Long (its labeled .45 Colt Longshot, which is a fictional caliber i believe).

Anyways, the first thing you might notice about it is that the barrel aligns with the bottom cylinder, opposite of what would be expected.
Any help is apprieciated.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You are talking about an incredibly expensive proposition for a functional, real firearm. Remember... Anime is make believe... like a light saber from Star Wars. Cool idea, but just Hollywood.

There was one revolver I remember reading about in the last couple of years that had an inverted barrel (barrel alligned with the bottom of the cyliner) but I don't remember who made it and it definitely was not a break open design like Vash's appears to be - I believe that would require a complete custom frame - VERY expensive.  

I might suggest asking just the question about the lower barrel gun in a letter to some gun magazines and leave out the Anime references to better your chances of them printing it... maybe just mention that you are thinking of getting one for a custom gun and can't remember the maker. Their experts might be able to tell you.

Or you could look in the back of 'American Handguner' magazine and look up the multitude of custom gun makers yourself and ask for a quote.  

If you just want one made up to just look like that, but with a rounded underlug and squared off barrel on top, that can be done by lot's of custom gunmakers. It's just a matter of cutting a new barrel & underlug. Almost anything can be done... for a price.

My guess is if you supplied the revoler (Like a stainless S&W) the custom work on just a custom barrel swap would be in the $1000 range - without being a breakopen frame of course.

A complete custom knockoff of that gun exactly as you show it would be in the $3000-$5000 range. IF you could find someone to build it. None of this should be attempted unless you are of legal age in your state to do so. I urge you... seriously... talk to your folks about this before you proceed and have their blessings and help.  

Good luck. Remember... a succesful man does not let scoffers deter his dreams. But to make dreams a reality, they must become a burning desire and if they are big dreams, they must become an obsession.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
One word:  HEAVY!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Another one word:  GAYDAR
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, guess what? Someone beat me to it. This was posted in animeforums.com under Trigun.

Originally posted by Edthestampede

For Sale...Vash's revolver, for real!

Hello my name is Edward, I am a long time Trigun fan and also a long time shooter as well.
This is my first post on these forums and its a big one.
And very serious. I have contracted a very talented custom gun smith to construct and fabricate a real working, very dangerous reproduction of the infamous .45 long colt revolver of Vash the Stampede and Knives.
There will be three of each made, two I am keeping for myself(one set to keep on display, one set to fire) and I am selling one set, the silver gun and black gun. I will tell you right now your average person will not be able to afford it, if you are thinking about price, think minimum of ten thousand. This will be on a firearms auction soon after completion. You will need a FFL and FOID card to purchase this Item. Airsoft guns are in the works, but wont be completed for a while, even the airsoft guns will cost in excess of two thousand.
Now some info on the guns.
The actual gun was based on the Italian made Mateba Revolver model 207 which fired a .357, kind of a weak caliber. Unique becuase it could actually be converted into a rifle.
There is no such thing as a bottom barrled breach loaded revolver. The gun's barrel will be on top.
The gun may not be a breach loaded weapon, due to the fact that the caliber is so strong and Breach loaded revolver's are weaker in structure then swinging loaded revolvers.
There is no such thing as a .45 long colt bullet. Instead the caliber will be a custom .454 standard shot. This shot is more powerful then the .44 magnum and very similar to the infamous .50 caliber. THe only gun that has more power are single shot hunting pistols and the Desert Eagle.
The guns construction will be made of 6061 billet aircraft aluminum, I originally requested steel but that would mean the gun would weigh in excess of 8 pounds. Far to heavy to carry. Billet means that all parts are fashioned out of a solid block of aluminum and carved out by a CNC machine. This gives the gun extreme integrity.
The interals of the fun are taken from a Tauras Raging bull .44 magnum. All other parts are Custom Made.
The gun also features a hair trigger system, sliding bar safety which means the gun will be able to fire extremely fast, no doubt this is a dangerous weapon. I am selling these only as a set. They are too beautiful to seperate. Also, believe me when i say i am not making profit on these. The gunsmith advised me to do this becuase he is already making 2, i could cover some of my costs making three. If the offer is right, i might not put it on a auction. Please only serious inquires about the real revolver. I will make a announcment when airsoft will be available.

So, there you have, minus the bottom aligned barrel, which i think is the coolest part of the pistol, i'd rather sacrifice cartridge power the coolness, but hey. I definatly don't have $10,000 tho, so thats outa the question. Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummm... Load of crap.

Edthestamped don't know too much about real guns do he...

#1).45 long Colt was first offered in 1873 (Like 130 years ago) and is still in production today.  Most of your major revolver manufacturers chamber at least one gun for it.

#2) Why use a Mateba frame with Taurus internals?  Wouldn't it make logical sense to use the internals designed for the gun?

#3) Even with all the excess steel in the design I seriously doubt you would have 8 lbs.

#4) I doubt a 6061 frame (hopefully he's not proposing it for the barrel) would stand up to very many shots of .454 which operates at pressures in the 40,000-50,000 psi range.  Smith and Wesson is using very exotic aluminum alloys to contain the .357 magnum (30,000 psi) in small revolvers.  By Eds admission the .357 is very weak compared to the .454.  6061 is not a very amazing aluminum alloy as far as tensile strength goes.

#5) Revolvers with barrels oriented to fire the "bottom" chamber of the cylinder have been made.

#6) "The gun may not be a breach loaded weapon"  What?  Is it a muzzle loader then?  Whether it has a swing out cylinder or a break open action it is a breach loader.

Yup, I'd have to say Edward is an attention grabing butt munch.  About the only thing he got right (realistic) was the price range.

Don't get your hopes up for Edwards offering.  It's possible, but not by someone like Edward the clueless.

Kent
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Bingo... well said. While the Metaba WAS the bottom barrel gun I was thinking of, his info is a load of crap.

And if he DOES do what he says he is doing, then he is not investigating all the best options. Contact Gary Reeder or Ten Ring precision or John Linebaugh or even the S&W custom shop. Get information from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a Mateba in 44 magnum a few weeks ago and yes I do sit there and fiddle with the gun while I watch Trigun after all thats what pravoked me to buy the thing in the first place
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I just checked the Mateba web site.  It appears as if it would make a very good starting point for a cosmetically, though not funtionally, similar pistol.  The Mateba listed at 1280 Euros.  Exchange used to be 1 Euro = $1 US, but I think the exchange is less favorable now.  With a few hundred extra dollars and a good machinist/gunsmith you could end up with a very similar pistol, cosmetically, to Vash's.

Side note:  If Ed the clueless had taken the time to look at the Mateba web site when he proposed making Vash's gun he wouldn't have made the silly mistake of saying "There is no such thing as a bottom barrled breach loaded revolver. The gun's barrel will be on top".  The barrel orientation was pretty apparent in the pictures I saw.  But then again, I knew what I was looking for.

It's been a fun exercise,

Kent
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#9]
i think it sounds a little silly to get a custom gun... a revolver at that... made  so you can carry it around and look like your favorite cartoon charactor.... but....  it's your life and your money and your "dream" so do what you want.... just make sure you have all the info you need and want before giving money to somebody... like EDWARD should've done (the retard that said that a .45 long colt doesn't exsist), good thing that Green Canoe spoke up before you did something stupid.
There's always going to be critics and there's always going to be somebody giving you his opinion... some people think it's dumb for me to carry 2 full size pistols on me... but... I know why I do it and I think it's practical. What I think about what I do is more important than what anybody else thinks.
Good luck with your gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top