Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 11:32:01 AM EDT
Well I finally broke down and purchased my first ever .44 Magnum pistol and I'm blushing proud like a new father! It's a Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel and nearly perfect bluing. This thing was barely shot and I know the previous owner well.

BUT, the grips absoutely suck! Does anyone have any experience with either the rubber Hogue Monogrip or Pachmayr Decelerator grips on a Super Blackhawk? I want this thing to actually be shootable and the stock grip style just doesn't allow that.  FWIW, I've used the Hogue rubber Monogrips on a GP100 and other than being very large grips they worked well, but was "just" a .357 Magnum.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I use very strong handloads in a SBH, I prefer the Hogue monogrip to any other. Being as your Revolver is the 7.5" with the Dragoon grip frame you will need the one marked for the SBH, the shorter SBHs use the grip marked for the BH.
ETA your SBH will also need a free spin pawl and an oversize base pin .
Keep an eye on the ejector rod housing screw it will come loose often.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ETA your SBH will also need a free spin pawl and an oversize base pin .
Keep an eye on the ejector rod housing screw it will come loose often.

What's a "free spin pawl and an oversize base pin" and why do I need them?  And thanks for the heads-up on the loose screw situation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The free spin pawl replaces the factory pawl, it allows your cylinder to turn either direction when the loading gate is open. It is one of those nice things. The base pin is the pin which pins the cylinder into the frame, the oversize base pin tightens the gun up a bit and gives it a nice feel. The free spin pawl is made by Power Custom and is available from Brownells. The oversize base pin is made by Belt Mountain I get them from my local dealer, but Brownells probably has them. Both are easy to install.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top