Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:28:03 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm contemplating a BFR in .500 S&W.

What do ya think, from ye who have them?

Pics would be nice too!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one in 45-70, with a 10 1/2 " bar. I regret actually trading it in along with another gun for a .50 BMG.  The recoil was not bad at all, and the little bit that it had, was more muzzle rise than a push back in your hand. I would get another.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm torn between a .50 AE and a .500 S&W...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
.500 Smith, not even a question
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]

I have the .454 Casull with the 6.5" barrel. I think it's the heaviest recoiling BFR model.
The .500 is a pussycat according to those who have shot it, as it's so big and heavy.
Well, even my 454 BFR is nothing compared to my friend's Gary Reeder .500 Linebaugh. It's a modified Ruger SBH so it's like two pounds lighter than the .500 BFR or S&W yet handloads are more powerful than the .500 S&W

But I digress. The BFR is big hunk of steel in a positive sense, easy to believe it will take the punishment of the high power cartridges without problems. Finish is good but not Gary Reeder custom quality. Trigger is nice and crisp and the gun is quite accurate (easily shoots 1" groups at 25 meters offhand if I do my part).
The original rubber grips are horribly ugly and very uncomfortable. They are too big to get a good grip unless you have really, really huge hands. Many people seem to think it's a good idea to put oversize grips on guns with heavy recoil but they only make it more difficult for themselves to hang on to the gun. The physiology of the human hand is such that it's easier to tighly grip smaller objects than big ones. And the rubber is too hard to have any real cushioning effect.
The Micarta grips available from Magnum Research look very nice and are much more comfortable.

All in all I think it's good value if you want a really powerful and accurate revolver without spending "custom money".
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been thinking of getting a hand cannon,  for hunting, and just for the hell of it. Right now I don't reload, but when my shop/shed is finished, I will have the space to set everything up. How much does the ammo run for a 454, or 500?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, I gotta get one now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top