Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:07:46 PM EDT
Every year or two, I need a reminder of my own dumb-assery and decide to disassembe the guts of my j-frame.

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY DO I DO THIS?

I spent about an hour today trying to remember how to put the damn thing back together. I manged to do it without slicing open my thumb this time. Is there a special tool for re-installing the trigger rebound spring? That always drives me up the wall.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:56:11 PM EDT
Yep, Brownell's sell one:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=774&title=S%26W+REBOUND+SLIDE+SPRING+TOOL

OR....
You can get cute and make your own from an old screwdriver.

There are two types of these.
The Brownell's type has a slot cut in the end to clear the rebound spring pin in the frame.
The second type has a flat screwdriver-like end with a "tit" on the end that enters the spring and keeps the tool from slipping like the Brownell's version.
This one slips beside the frame pin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:08:34 AM EDT
Next year put all the parts in a big zip loc bag for a few weeks/months and then try to reassemble.

That's usually how I do it, so I can sit in front of an exploded diagram and crawl around looking for springs to add to the pleasure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:10:34 PM EDT
I've always used a screwdriver a little bigger than the rebound slide spring, and just crammed it back in......I've never had a problem with mine. Of course, I often cut a coil or two off the spring while I'm polishing the guts, but I've also done several without changing anything. I just jam the spring into the slide, and press it into place, with the blade holding the spring in place. Are you sure everything's lined up right?

Papajohn
Top Top