Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:54:36 AM EDT
Howdy All,

I am curious about the Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special.  I have handled the "old" ones in the past and they seemed pretty rough.  Does anyone own one of the new ones?  

What load do you use in it?

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
David had one
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Berkowitz?

I remember that.  What a loon that puppy was.

My buddy lived in that neighborhood and in fact walked Sam the dog on several occassions.  I had to ask and he told me that Sam didn't say anything to him about killing people...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Son of Sam was the first time I ever heard of that gun. I remember that summer well
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I traded for a used one back around 88.  Never had a problem with it.  Its a blued 3" .44 Spl model with DA/SA.  My brother in law has been "borrowing" it for the last few years.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the new Bulldog "Pug" in .357. IMO, it's a nicely made pistol. Alot smoother and better made than the past ones.

I like the ported barrel, it helps out when touching off the .357's
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Interest in a new car gun here.  Thus free bump.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the old one and the new one I liked the old only because mine was extremely accurate for a snubby.

The new one needs the front sight filed down a bit for me using Blaser .44 Special 200gr HP
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of the old ones. Yes the finish is not a good as the bigger name guns but it shoots good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking about getting one, but the owner of the local gun shop talked me out of it.  They do have a bad rep, apparently the early ones were prone to shooting themselves apart and the gunshop owner said that they were made from cheap metal.  I ended up walking out with a S&W 642 (DAO .38), but that was really only because it was better suited for my personal needs.

Despite their rep, I have heard good things about the new ones, which is what made me consider one in the first place.  Gunblast has a very positive review of the Bulldog here: http://www.gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about shooting themselves apart, but I have over 1000 rounds through mine and the action is as tight today as when I bought it new a year ago.

If you can find a S&W for near to the price of a Bulldog, get it...I could not, but I'm not upset at that at all....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#11]

I've fired one with rounds so hot (44 mag level reloads) that tremors began in my hand and forced it to open. I saw what was happening and lowered to the ground so the gun would gently fall. The owner fired a box but I had enough after a few more rounds. The gun held together fine. That was an original model.

Now I own both an original and a new model. There is nothing so small and so powerful. I think they are a great little gun. The new one comes with a rubber type stock that is bigger than the old style wood and detracts from compactness but makes it easier to shoot. You can also buy the smaller wood stocks off their website for much better concealment.

I rarely ever see one for sale, but if I see another I will probably buy it just to have another. They are highly underrated by people who have never owned or shot one.

I've put the newer model in the hands of a shooting newbie 16 yr old girl (with factory .44 spl loads) and she had no trouble with it, although she said she prefered my .32 automatic because it was smaller
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]
It may be the best CCW for many people.  Very powerful, small and light.

Great package for the money.

HH
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]

There is a review of it at Gunblast:
www.gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top