for CCW.  It is really not a front pant
pocket gun. It is just too heavy. I paid
$250 for it not including 6% tax.

Today, while at my dealer who is a
pawn broker, he had taken in a Ladysmith
in .357 mag that had been shot ONE time
by a female owner. Her husband caught hello
for trying to get her to keep it, thus
she sold it after firing only one round.

Dealer has it for $369 LNIB.  We all know
that the Ladysmith should turn off the
maucho type, but what the heck, it looks
like the revolver that I need to CCW.

My dealer will trade back the SP101 for
$110 difference.  Should I do it?

Ed

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That'd be $360... I assume it's either the 60LS or 65LS, both of which carry an MSRP of about $590.  You wouldn't be getting a super deal, but you wouldn't be getting ripped off, either.

I'd say buy it.  You can always "buff out" the LadySmith engraving.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
A warm welcome to you, Ed357SIGEly! Don't worry, you won't be a newbie long!

Your question is a toughy...for one, $110 buys a lot of ammo.
But if you say its too heavy, I think you answered your own question, sorta.
If about a half pound or so makes it too heavy, so be it.
The only thing you may not like on the Smith, besides the tiny grips, may be the silvery front sight, integral to the barrel, which disappear under some lighting conditions.
The SP101 has a black one that is removable if damaged.
The hammer is easier to "bob" on the Ruger, as it is stainless, not plated like the Smith.
I have fired almost all the "J" frame Smiths, except for the ladysmiths and never was disappointed. I did have the fired magnum shells get stuck upon extraction on the one of the little Smiths. Hopefully, that won't be the case on yours, if you do choose to swap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If the Ruger is too heavy and you feel you would be better served bith the lighter LS Smith then that is the right route. You will be a much better shooter with a gun that fits you. If you perform well with the SP101, I'd say keep it and find a way to pack it that's comfortable(people carried guns for a long time before these titanium/plastic/alunimum wonder guns came along, you can, too).
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The mid sized guns like your Ruger and the S&W K or L frame guns are a little large for poscket carry. But that sure doesn't mean that they can't be carried or concealed. i usually carr a 4" barreled S&W M-19. That's the K frame model. I carry it using a Texas Heitage IWB tuckable holster from Tucker Gunleather It works really well and is very concealable.

Here is the gun and the holster.

The most important things related to carrying a concealed handgun is the belt. Spend the money needed to get a good belt. Even some of the cheapest holsters will work well on a good belt, but even the best and most expensive holsters fail when you use them with a dress belt.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
So many thanks to all that replied
and offered up your opinions and
suggestions.

Since I knew that I really had the
time to think this one over, I have
decided to keep the Ruger and pass
on the Lady Smith.  I have always
fancied the idea of a .357 Mag pant
pocket pistol though.  Guess that I
will keep that S&W 638 in .38+P handy.

Ed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top