Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 9:00:49 PM EDT
While searching for info on the  .17 mach2 cartridge I came across a picture of a Taurus revolver chambered for it. For the uninformed the 17 is a necked down 22 LR case with a 17 grain balistic tip bullet. It is an absolute screamer and out of a rifle it is 75% faster than a 22 long rifle. I bought a rifle in .17 for squirell hunting and the only thing I can say is HEADSHOTS!! The first little grey I nailed with it had his heart and lungs on the outside when he landed!! It also shoots laser flat and my point of aim is virtually the same from 25 to 100 yards. Has anyone seen this revolver or any others like it for the 17. I will do a search but thought I'd get a little 17 info out here because I've seen nothing on it. I think it would make a great backup as it is very high velocity and a revolver would probably carry 8 shots or so. Any one looking for a good small caliber varmint rifle , squirell gun or plinker could do a lot worse than the .17. I got my Savage for under 200 bucks and at 100 yards you could cover the group with a dime. It could have something to do with the Nikon scope I put on it. It was as much as the gun. Alright I've raved enough about the 17 mach 2. Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
OK no takers on the debate but I found out some info. Kimber makes full size 1911 type auto's in the .17. Taurus also makes a full line of revolvers in the .17 and some in the .17 hmr which comes close to 3000fps in a rifle. The hmr pistols have long barrels for varmint shooting and the .17 m2 comes in short snub nosed models in a very light package.(Under 23 oz's) They all hold 8 which is a cool loadout in a very small revolver. I know it's a peashooter but I can't believe no one has any comments on this. I simply love my rifle and am very tempted to get one of these tiny revolvers just for the fun of it.It would make a great concealed carry gun on a hot day or as a back up for under cover LEO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are convinced and would be comfortable carrying one, go for it!

Of course for the same size pistol you could be carrying anything from .32ACP to .45 ACP…
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are convinced and would be comfortable carrying one, go for it!

Of course for the same size pistol you could be carrying anything from .32ACP to .45 ACP…

i don't know about .45acp but .357mag definitely.  .32h&r mag might be a good choice.  then you can shoot .32sw short and long.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
North American Arms used to offer some mini-revolvers in the .17 rimfire calibers.  However, I seem to remember that they had problems with the fired casings backing out of the chambers and binding the cylinders.  They are still working on the problem with their mini-revolvers and they temporarily dropped the .17 rimfire option until they could resolve the problem.  

www.naaminis.com/sandy060105.html

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
North American Arms used to offer some mini-revolvers in the .17 rimfire calibers.  However, I seem to remember that they had problems with the fired casings backing out of the chambers and binding the cylinders.  They are still working on the problem with their mini-revolvers and they temporarily dropped the .17 rimfire option until they could resolve the problem.  

www.naaminis.com/sandy060105.html

Historically its been a problem for revovlers to fire bottle necked cases.  S&W came out with the .22 Jet in the '60's IIRC.  The chambers had to be absolutely dry in order to keep the cases from backing out.  It didn't last too long on the market.

Ian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top