Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm still digging the pearly grips on both. Why do you have the red dot mounted up front on the semi or is it a pic rail mount I can't see?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#2]
“At this point I think the actual shooting of both revolvers will be relegated to special occasions and they’ll serve as display pieces going forward. I’m going to have to find a large enough stand/case to put them in - the little wire kickstands I got for photography won’t work with the Schofield, the barrel’s too long for it to balance well”

Have you considered a bipod?  Something big that looks totally inappropriate?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  “At this point I think the actual shooting of both revolvers will be relegated to special occasions and they’ll serve as display pieces going forward. I’m going to have to find a large enough stand/case to put them in - the little wire kickstands I got for photography won’t work with the Schofield, the barrel’s too long for it to balance well”

View Quote

Like a machine gun tripod?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm still digging the pearly grips on both. Why do you have the red dot mounted up front on the semi or is it a pic rail mount I can't see?
View Quote

It’s on a 2011-style frame-mount that’s drilled into the dustcover of the grip module. Sits slightly further forward than I’d probably prefer, but it accomplishes what I was looking for
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
“At this point I think the actual shooting of both revolvers will be relegated to special occasions and they’ll serve as display pieces going forward. I’m going to have to find a large enough stand/case to put them in - the little wire kickstands I got for photography won’t work with the Schofield, the barrel’s too long for it to balance well”

View Quote

I hadn’t but that’s not a bad idea…
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  I hadn’t but that’s not a bad idea…
View Quote

Don't forget the bayonet mounted w/ pearl handle scales...  
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s already so damn long I can barely get the whole thing in a picture Might have to wait on the pistol bayonet for another build
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Honestly, it’s pretty gratifying to keep having some objectively pretty weird ideas and have them continue to turn out so well
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Got the Hoptic Longbow in and installed, it’s much more solid than having the three individual double-round quivers. Also got some pistol display stands in and I think I found the right combination for how to support these two builds:

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:30:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Got a custom acrylic display case ordered up with the right dimensions, should be here in about a week. The two revolvers will take their rightful place on my work desk as the functional art they are!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s already so damn long I can barely get the whole thing in a picture Might have to wait on the pistol bayonet for another build
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd go with a riverboat gambler style dagger, they always look good with pearl handles (in that New Orleans pimp sort of way ).
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd go with a riverboat gambler style dagger, they always look good with pearl handles (in that New Orleans pimp sort of way ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a stiletto switchblade? Never heard of a riverboat gambler style dagger
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Punch dagger?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Extra tacky example (you guys never watched old westerns? ).

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/case-xx-562-4-1-2-ss-riverboat-gambler-fixed

ETA
Here's a cheap knife I found on ebay while searching google images- no relation and obviously not something I'd want to rely on other than as decoration in a display case.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353528314922?hash=item524fedfc2a:g:DSAAAOSwUsVgwISP
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Punch dagger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Punch dagger?

I do have one of those:

Not pearl-handled though. Just for the purposes of making the display case look even better a small pearl-handled knife of some kind would be rather fitting. I’ll have to look and see what all’s available, and see how it looks once the case gets here with just the two guns in it
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Extra tacky example (you guys never watched old westerns? ).

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/case-xx-562-4-1-2-ss-riverboat-gambler-fixed
View Quote

Oh I see just a crossguard fixed blade. Surprisingly it seems there aren’t that many pearl-handled daggers that aren’t several hundred dollar customs, unless I’m just not finding them.

There are however some fairly neat folders that aren’t too pricey and have some pearl inlays:

Ohh, there’s also this pearl Karambit from a company I’ve bought from before:

That one might be too difficult to resist…
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I added another skinny example I found while looking at google images.  Think black and white movie where the gambler pulls the knife out of his boot and shanks the cheat, or the guy who just caught him cheating.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I added another skinny example I found while looking at google images.  Think black and white movie where the gambler pulls the knife out of his boot and shanks the cheat, or the guy who just caught him cheating.  

View Quote

Ah very cool. I’ll have to see once the display case gets here and I get the guns situated, but there might be room for something like that in it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright, looking for a little bit of feedback/input from the group on my plan for the next build. I mentioned I want to build up a pair of Cimarron Thunderers:

The guns will be the 4.75” model in 45 Colt for ammo commonality with the Schofield. I may get one of them blued and one stainless and do a bit of a “Yin Yang” thing with the grips as well, not quite decided yet.

My current plan is fairly simple, I want to Cyberpunk the guns up a bit and, since I’ll be building them to be shot while dual-wielded (“Gunfighter” style in CAS terms), I’ll be using lasers for sights rather than RDS so I can aim the guns without having to bring them to my eye line. Right now looking at wanting to use the Streamlight TLR RM2 green laser/WMLs mounted along the tops of the guns, as I like the overall look and functionality and I’ll be able to attach wired tape switches on the grip areas for pressure activation. Lasers, lights, a bit of exposed wiring - should be a nice aesthetic when combined with the classic wheelguns:

Obviously the problem that needs to be solved is fitting a rail along the top of the guns in order to mount the laser/WML. My thinking on that is to use this Ruger Blackhawk mount from Weigand that clamps around the barrel and ejector rod housing and would replace the adjustable rear sight on a Blackhawk:

https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-No-Drill-Scope-Mount.html

The mount and/or the revolver will need a bit of modification as there’s no adjustable rear sight on the Cimarron, but in theory it should work similarly as on a Blackhawk…I think.

I guess my question would be is anyone aware of a scope rail that’s specifically made for the SAA and clones that would be better suited to the task? Any thoughts or suggestions on the overall idea? Comments, complaints?

It might take me a bit to replenish my gun project funds before getting started on the new builds, but should be happening sometime here in the near future
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're really wanting to use them for quick draw, I suspect depending on LASERs is a terrible idea.  If you're just wanting to have fun w/ it, by all means.  Why the fixation on single actions?

If you want to go big, have a steel Picatinny rail made and color case harden THAT.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you're really wanting to use them for quick draw, I suspect depending on LASERs is a terrible idea.  If you're just wanting to have fun w/ it, by all means.  Why the fixation on single actions?

If you want to go big, have a steel Picatinny rail made and color case harden THAT.  
View Quote

All of these builds are just for fun.

I’m doing them on SAO revolvers cause 1. They’re cool but also 2. I see them as less serious-use guns so I can be a bit more creative on how I build and modify them that might not be the most practical for defensive use.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t see them as real guns. But I have my serious-use pistol and rifle figured out. With these I can have a little more…chaotic fun
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  All of these builds are just for fun.

I’m doing them on SAO revolvers cause 1. They’re cool but also 2. I see them as less serious-use guns so I can be a bit more creative on how I build and modify them that might not be the most practical for defensive use.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t see them as real guns. But I have my serious-use pistol and rifle figured out. With these I can have a little more…chaotic fun
View Quote

Makes sense.  For many years I've had a dream of a uselessly complex firearm that jams if you don't operate all of the interfaces in the correct order, there is a tremendous bang when it finally goes off, and it is inherently inaccurate, finely crafted but horribly fitted w/ bizarre design choices.

A lever-bolt-pump-break open that uses a shotgun shell blank and a .22 CB cap, but instead of providing additional gas pressure the shotgun blank goes off too early, creating a wall of pressure the .22 ball can barely make it through.

A heavy electronic trigger that uses a 6V lantern battery.  Excellent micrometer sights that are blocked by the top load magazine, or bolt handle, or whatever.  A finely jeweled bolt with it's own oil supply, but the oil drips in the wrong place all over your hand, but the reservoir must be filled or you can't open the action.  A beautiful wood stock that is proud on one side of the action and shy on the other - leaving a sharp lip that will catch you from the heavy recoil of the gas assisted blowback bolt which usually fails to reset the action, resulting in having to stuff a cleaning rod down the open gas port.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Makes sense.  For many years I've had a dream of a uselessly complex firearm that jams if you don't operate all of the interfaces in the correct order, there is a tremendous bang when it finally goes off, and it is inherently inaccurate, finely crafted but horribly fitted w/ bizarre design choices.

A lever-bolt-pump-break open that uses a shotgun shell blank and a .22 CB cap, but instead of providing additional gas pressure the shotgun blank goes off too early, creating a wall of pressure the .22 ball can barely make it through.

A heavy electronic trigger that uses a 6V lantern battery.  Excellent micrometer sights that are blocked by the top load magazine, or bolt handle, or whatever.  A finely jeweled bolt with it's own oil supply, but the oil drips in the wrong place all over your hand, but the reservoir must be filled or you can't open the action.  A beautiful wood stock that is proud on one side of the action and shy on the other - leaving a sharp lip that will catch you from the heavy recoil of the gas assisted blowback bolt which usually fails to reset the action, resulting in having to stuff a cleaning rod down the open gas port.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s just sadistic
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That’s just sadistic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s just sadistic

I feel like I would learn a great deal about gun designing if I finally did put pen to paper as it would be very difficult to make it consistently barely work.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alright, looking for a little bit of feedback/input from the group on my plan for the next build. I mentioned I want to build up a pair of Cimarron Thunderers:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1kqh9qmybo/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/33923/130565/814230010360__30969.1575691601.jpg

The guns will be the 4.75” model in 45 Colt for ammo commonality with the Schofield. I may get one of them blued and one stainless and do a bit of a “Yin Yang” thing with the grips as well, not quite decided yet.

My current plan is fairly simple, I want to Cyberpunk the guns up a bit and, since I’ll be building them to be shot while dual-wielded (“Gunfighter” style in CAS terms), I’ll be using lasers for sights rather than RDS so I can aim the guns without having to bring them to my eye line. Right now looking at wanting to use the Streamlight TLR RM2 green laser/WMLs mounted along the tops of the guns, as I like the overall look and functionality and I’ll be able to attach wired tape switches on the grip areas for pressure activation. Lasers, lights, a bit of exposed wiring - should be a nice aesthetic when combined with the classic wheelguns:

https://www.streamlight.com/images/default-source/product-large-images/tlrrm2laser_01.jpg

Obviously the problem that needs to be solved is fitting a rail along the top of the guns in order to mount the laser/WML. My thinking on that is to use this Ruger Blackhawk mount from Weigand that clamps around the barrel and ejector rod housing and would replace the adjustable rear sight on a Blackhawk:

https://www.jackweigand.com/images/SBHNDB.jpg

The mount and/or the revolver will need a bit of modification as there’s no adjustable rear sight on the Cimarron, but in theory it should work similarly as on a Blackhawk…I think.

I guess my question would be is anyone aware of a scope rail that’s specifically made for the SAA and clones that would be better suited to the task? Any thoughts or suggestions on the overall idea? Comments, complaints?

It might take me a bit to replenish my gun project funds before getting started on the new builds, but should be happening sometime here in the near future
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1kqh9qmybo/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/33923/130565/814230010360__30969.1575691601.jpg

https://www.streamlight.com/images/default-source/product-large-images/tlrrm2laser_01.jpg

Not sure why that mount says not for .45; I've never seen one.  

PLEASE NOTE:
Not compatible with the .45 Colt Caliber or 30 Carbine

The top strap on the Blackhawk is flat and you have a lot more material to work with than you will on the rounded top strap and no rear sight 1873 receiver.  The mount looks beefy enough that you could probably shape the mounting surface to the 1873 top strap curve.  Pretty sure the barrel is slightly larger diameter on the Blackhawk but that really shouldn't be much of an issue for a machinist either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The top strap on the Blackhawk is flat and you have a lot more material to work with than you will on the rounded top strap and no rear sight 1873 receiver.  The mount looks beefy enough that you could probably shape the mounting surface to the 1873 top strap curve.  Pretty sure the barrel is slightly larger diameter on the Blackhawk but that really shouldn't be much of an issue for a machinist either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PLEASE NOTE:
Not compatible with the .45 Colt Caliber or 30 Carbine

Supposedly the mount fits both old/new model Blackhawks and Super Blackhawk revolvers, so I assume there’s some adjustability to work with. It’ll still take some modification but shouldn’t be as bad as trying to fit the MCX handguard to the Schofield. At least it was designed to go on the same general kind of firearm
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Custom display case has shipped, should be here in a few days!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Next up for OP - lever actions and case-hardened side-hammer English double guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Next up for OP - lever actions and case-hardened side-hammer English double guns.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Fucketh around and thou shall find out
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I mean, you can already buy lever guns w/ factory rails, just a case of sending it off to Turnbull for the case hardening.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#33]

We have a display case! And god damn do I have a new appreciation for the practicality of clean rooms, trying to clean off the acrylic box in a house with four dogs in it was migraine-inducing. But the guns have taken their place on display on my desk, and I’m very pleased with how it turned out!

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]
You need a

In case of Boogaloo, break glass
View Quote
sticker.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You need a

sticker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You need a

In case of Boogaloo, break glass
sticker.

Another suggestion I got was “Break glass in case of Replicants”
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Ah shit, made a discovery during my random early-morning googling that’s causing some recalibration here. Turns out there’s a company that makes brass grip frames in the Lightning hump-back style for Ruger New Model Blackhawks:

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/Lightning

With that, I can use 4” 45 Colt Blackhawks as the base for the next builds rather than the Cimarron Thunderers, which means I can use this scope rail without any modification necessary:

That significantly simplifies the build from the perspective of the base guns and how to incorporate some Cyberpunk electronics into some SAO revolver old-school cool…

I think I’m going to take that route rather than the Cimarron Thunderers. It might cost more in aftermarket parts, but the labor cost and waiting time will be much less not having to modify the Cimarron wheelguns to work with the Blackhawk scope mount. The only trick is going to be finding two 4” 45 Colt Blackhawks in stock anywhere…Maybe even a pair of the Wiley Clapp Carryhawk version?

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Label makers are fun
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I tagged you in the thread in GD but figured I'd add it here too.  In my ongoing quest to help you spend your money while entertaining me, I saw this on the website.

Attachment Attached File

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/merwin-hulbert-skull-crusher-bisley-new-model.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I tagged you in the thread in GD but figured I'd add it here too.  In my ongoing quest to help you spend your money while entertaining me, I saw this on the website.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70832/MHSC_-_Copy_JPG-2507516.JPG
https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/merwin-hulbert-skull-crusher-bisley-new-model.html
View Quote

That got a chuckle

I’ll keep it in mind. Probably not for the next build, but I have had thoughts about how I would build my own version of Elmer Keith’s No.5, and it would probably include that…
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
If it wasn't $425, didn't involved me having to buy new grips and hammer (and if I actually liked Bisley style grips) and, most importantly, in all likelihood hurting myself I'd really consider it.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Honestly I like the look of the Bisley style grips much more on a SA-profile revolver than just about any other option. If someone made a hybrid Bisley/Lightning grip frame, that started out as a Bisley grip at the top, had the hump-back feature of the Lightning/Thunderer, and terminated in a Birdshead-style rounded butt, I’d think that would be just about perfect
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  Honestly I like the look of the Bisley style grips much more on a SA-profile revolver than just about any other option. If someone made a hybrid Bisley/Lightning grip frame, that started out as a Bisley grip at the top, had the hump-back feature of the Lightning/Thunderer, and terminated in a Birdshead-style rounded butt, I’d think that would be just about perfect
View Quote

The hump of DA revolver grips is to prevent the revolver from rotating in your grip, allowing you to pull the trigger again immediately, instead of your hand sliding up on the grip on a smooth SA grip so you can cock the hammer again quickly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The hump of DA revolver grips is to prevent the revolver from rotating in your grip, allowing you to pull the trigger again immediately, instead of your hand sliding up on the grip on a smooth SA grip so you can cock the hammer again quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Honestly I like the look of the Bisley style grips much more on a SA-profile revolver than just about any other option. If someone made a hybrid Bisley/Lightning grip frame, that started out as a Bisley grip at the top, had the hump-back feature of the Lightning/Thunderer, and terminated in a Birdshead-style rounded butt, I’d think that would be just about perfect

I guess it just looks more aesthetically/ergonomically pleasing since I really learned how to shoot on my dad’s DA revolvers.

Of course me being the indecisive asshole I am, I’m now strongly considering using a DA Super Redhawk in 454 for the next build… Make a functional Destiny-style Hand Cannon:

There are some pretty incredible futuristic revolver designs in that game
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Which would have the small benefit of the fact I can actually find SRH 454 guns in stock, unlike pretty much any of the Blackhawk models I’m interested in
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#45]
If you really wanted to get esoteric, you could design yourself a swing- or break-open Nagant action using .38 SPL wadcutters - or 2.5" .410 shotshells.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you really wanted to get esoteric, you could design yourself a swing- or break-open Nagant action using .38 SPL wadcutters - or 2.5" .410 shotshells.  
View Quote

I don’t think even I could salvage that poor mess
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're got room on a 3" Judge action to move a 2.5" cylinder back & forth, DA will be execrable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're got room on a 3" Judge action to move a 2.5" cylinder back & forth, DA will be execrable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh there’s definitely room enough to do it, I’m just not sure how you’d get it to work with any marked improvement over the 1895’s historically terrible trigger pull
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Oh there’s definitely room enough to do it, I’m just not sure how you’d get it to work with any marked improvement over the 1895’s historically terrible trigger pull
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, none whatsoever.  

If you did a 5 shot .32 wadcutter in a titanium cylinder, you might get some improvement.  You're moving a lot of mass around w/ any DA trigger, the Nagant action just makes that worse.  Titanium cylinders, smaller cartridges (.30 SC, .327 Fed), & fewer chambers all mean less mass for the DA pull.  Note the deep cylinder flutes on the Ruger LCR, which has a sterling DA pull reputation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#50]
So…I think I’m gonna change it up a bit and do the next build on a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I have a good idea of what I want to do and how it can be done. The dual-wielded Blackhawks will still happen, just a little later on. And I think I’ll be building them on Bisley frames rather than modifying them for Lightning grips - probably the Skull Crusher versions @sandboxmedic linked to
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top