BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as you're OK with making baby Jesus weep and spending the rest of eternity in hell, well, it's your gun.    If you're going to do it, why not blast and parkerize the barrel and cylinder and yeah, I'd go with some sort of inletted grips with some type of talisman in them.  I'd use a Holosun or similar, not a tube type sight.  Bowen Classic makes some nice looking lanyard rings; they have also made an interesting looking "Commander" style ring hammer for single actions that would definitely look different on a Schofield and position it lower for easier cocking.
View Quote

Keeping the original case hardened and charcoal blued finish, otherwise I would’ve just bought the regular model.

The tube sight is a Holosun:

Piss off the purists by putting a RDS and WML on a Schofield, piss off the RDS people by using a Chy-nah dot
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m sure the X300U fits great. I just think you need a grenade launcher.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The X300U is exactly the right size to fit under the barrel in front of the ejector housing without extending beyond the muzzle. Help keep the lens clean that way

I’m sure the X300U fits great. I just think you need a grenade launcher.

That wouldn’t be very period correct
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I take that deeply personally, random stranger on the Internet.

We have an optic ordered, and I got shipping notification on the grip adapter. Making progress!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to like you.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore

We have an optic ordered, and I got shipping notification on the grip adapter. Making progress!

As you should, other random stranger on the internet.  

Part of me likes the craziness of your plan but the other part of me hates to see this happen to such a beautiful gun.  Prior to this I never realized I had a split personality  

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Part of me likes the craziness of your plan but the other part of me hates to see this happen to such a beautiful gun.  Prior to this I never realized I had a split personality  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to like you.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore

I don’t understand why so many people struggle with this, I’m keeping the original finish.

I’m not ruining a beautiful gun, I’m improving it
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I will probably get a holster made for it at some point, but it’s fairly low on the list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll jump aboard, and cast a vote for the "maple floral scroll" stocks.

Needs a lanyard ring and I'd have it cut for moon clips.

I was leaning towards the maple myself.

Lanyard ring and moon clips are certainly a possibility, though be aware if it gets a lanyard ring it’s getting charms. All the charms

If you like charms, you get charms.

If you found someone to make a modified M1885 Cavalry holster to accommodate the light/sight......... that would be truly epic.

I will probably get a holster made for it at some point, but it’s fairly low on the list

A revolver, without a holster, is a fidget spinner for grown ups.
Don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't be that guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was leaning towards the maple myself.

Lanyard ring and moon clips are certainly a possibility, though be aware if it gets a lanyard ring it’s getting charms. All the charms

If you like charms, you get charms.

If you found someone to make a modified M1885 Cavalry holster to accommodate the light/sight......... that would be truly epic.

Don't be that guy.

At present it is a giant fidget toy. Working the action on this thing is a viscerally satisfying experience.

But I do agree, a BBQ gun is no good if you don’t have a holster to carry it in at the BBQ
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To be quite honest if this works out I’m thinking I’m going to also get a 3.5” barrel Hideout model and make a mini version with just a MRDS above the cylinder:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/static/images/main/CR0642.jpg.JPG

I fucking love the action and heft of this gun
View Quote

Just remember…the action tends to be weak…
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be quite honest if this works out I’m thinking I’m going to also get a 3.5” barrel Hideout model and make a mini version with just a MRDS above the cylinder:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/static/images/main/CR0642.jpg.JPG

I fucking love the action and heft of this gun

Yup, got it. Thank you
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Think I finally found a good spot in my new place that helps show off the colors of the finish with decent natural lighting and background. Just in case anyone needs a reminder of how gorgeous this gun is
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don’t understand why so many people struggle with this, I’m keeping the original finish.

View Quote

Probably because we believe it's already perfect.  Personally it's not something I would ever even consider doing to a gun like that but all that aside, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished product!

And the knuckle duster gun too someday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably because we believe it's already perfect.  Personally it's not something I would ever even consider doing to a gun like that but all that aside, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished product!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Knucklegun is still in progress, currently trying to hammer out an agreement with a new shop on the knuckle grip for it. Hopefully there’s movement there soon but until then, I got this mess to play with
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/6DE3A8D7-9590-4963-BF7D-104554C4A6CF.jpeg.d6e340fabf6e4a5236420cde923b592c.jpeg

Think I finally found a good spot in my new place that helps show off the colors of the finish with decent natural lighting and background. Just in case anyone needs a reminder of how gorgeous this gun is
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Interested in seeing this firefly meets trigun abortion when its finally underway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]

That’s much better. Wasn’t sure this would fit the Schofield, it’s made for a S&W K-frame, but it mounts right up. Fills a bit of the space behind the trigger guard and vastly improves the ergonomics

@Seven-Shooter the BK Grips K adapter fits
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/F88C328D-4A2A-4390-87C1-D1A21F6934AD.jpeg.bc8307201784a0a473391e89e524fd84.jpeg

That's much better. Wasn't sure this would fit the Schofield, it's made for a S&W K-frame, but it mounts right up. Fills a bit of the space behind the trigger guard and vastly improves the ergonomics

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/9ED3E054-5CDB-4EBE-A142-587393A2D565.jpeg.b0c9d4f2644c12b6a257d9ebc2c6fa93.jpeg

@Seven-Shooter the BK Grips K adapter fits
View Quote
Outstanding.

Now to debate if I want the one I order to try matching my white grips, or blued frame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote adding a flash hider and/or can, and a brace, then re-chambering to 458 Socom.
Ask rare breed for a forced reset trigger conversion.

Make sure to post vid when rapid firing it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I vote adding a flash hider and/or can, and a brace, then re-chambering to 458 Socom.

View Quote

I’m pretty sure the action would not hold up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAMMIT I just thought to @ you to ask
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he wasn't being serious lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry for a bit of delay on continued updates everyone, stuff’s in transit but just hasn’t gotten to me yet. I did also order up a set of snap caps to keep in the revolver during my obsessive clicking and working of the action, to help protect the firing pin/frame/lock work from any unwanted damage.

I think I’ve also decided - eventually, after this build is done and when I can afford it - to also pick up a 1873 Colt and 1875 Remington clone to create a nice set of 1870s S&W, Colt, and Remington reproductions.

And yes they’ll also be getting the Abomination build treatment Definitely can’t just leave them be
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sorry for a bit of delay on continued updates everyone, stuff's in transit but just hasn't gotten to me yet. I did also order up a set of snap caps to keep in the revolver during my obsessive clicking and working of the action, to help protect the firing pin/frame/lock work from any unwanted damage.

I think I've also decided - eventually, after this build is done and when I can afford it - to also pick up a 1873 Colt and 1875 Remington clone to create a nice set of 1870s S&W, Colt, and Remington reproductions.

https://images.eurooptic.com/images/products/uberti/uberti-1873-cattleman-outlaws-lawmen-dalton-revolver.jpg

https://images.eurooptic.com/images/products/uberti/uberti-1875-single-action-frontier-revolver-341660-341660.jpg

And yes they'll also be getting the Abomination build treatment Definitely can't just leave them be
View Quote
How are you planning on doing that, if the top straps are insufficient for RDS, and the ejector rod would interfere with WML?

I know that for a while there were revolvers with rails on the bottom of the grip for mounting WMLs (for much the same reason as the TRR8 exists, ostensibly to give shield guys the ability to have a non-jamming shield pistol), but I've never seen such a thing even proposed for single action models.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How are you planning on doing that, if the top straps are insufficient for RDS, and the ejector rod would interfere with WML?

I know that for a while there were revolvers with rails on the bottom of the grip for mounting WMLs (for much the same reason as the TRR8 exists, ostensibly to give shield guys the ability to have a non-jamming shield pistol), but I've never seen such a thing even proposed for single action models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry for a bit of delay on continued updates everyone, stuff's in transit but just hasn't gotten to me yet. I did also order up a set of snap caps to keep in the revolver during my obsessive clicking and working of the action, to help protect the firing pin/frame/lock work from any unwanted damage.

I think I've also decided - eventually, after this build is done and when I can afford it - to also pick up a 1873 Colt and 1875 Remington clone to create a nice set of 1870s S&W, Colt, and Remington reproductions.

https://images.eurooptic.com/images/products/uberti/uberti-1873-cattleman-outlaws-lawmen-dalton-revolver.jpg

https://images.eurooptic.com/images/products/uberti/uberti-1875-single-action-frontier-revolver-341660-341660.jpg

And yes they'll also be getting the Abomination build treatment Definitely can't just leave them be

Since the Rem and Colt clones aren’t top-break and don’t have to worry about taking up space under the barrel for proper ejection, something like this solution:

https://www.unclefudd.com/post/space-cowboy-revolver-ready-for-action

Cut slots in the handguard to still be able to actuate the ejector rod of both and should be no problem. Honestly I probably would’ve preferred this type of solution for the Schofield too, but it wouldn’t allow the pivot to open all the way for the ejector to completely kick out empties. Just mounting the WML under the barrel forward of the ejector housing will leave enough clearance to still completely open the action for ejection
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]
These are 3D printed but same basic idea, shrouding the barrel and mounting RDS/WML to that:

Ruger Wrangler/Heritage Rough Rider Space Cowboy Kits

Also not sure why everyone thinks the old style SAA wheelguns don’t have enough material in the top strap to drill and tap, it’s been done multiple times:

Mounting a Red Dot Scope on a Heritage Arms Rough Rider - Professional Gun Smithing Series

Heritage Rough Rider and How I mounted the Red Dot
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually…Now that I think about it a section of handguard might work perfectly on the Schofield too. It’d need some trimming to make sure nothing impeded the opening action and ejection but it could work, and would probably be a better solution than two separate little rail segments…
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#25]

I’m probably going to hell
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
It will work great for catching blast, powder, and lead fragments in your front hand when activating the light and firing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It will work great for catching blast, powder, and lead fragments in your front hand when activating the light and firing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Historically hasn't been a problem on my TRR8 with its WML or RDS; it works best to either turn it "on" or "off", rather than attempt "momentary on".  Doesn't catch any powder, blast, or fragments.

That being said, I'm quite curious how that tube type RDS right above the cylinder gap will fare, as my RDS on my TRR8 sits a bit higher and doesn't stick in front of the gap as much (though it does sit over top of it).

WMLs on revolvers aren't as bad as they're made out to be, they just happen to be very non traditional.  Except for maybe on this project, whose results remain to be seen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would he do that, as opposed to, I dunno, just turning it on when it's dark out and shooting like normal?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s what shooting gloves are for
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Historically hasn't been a problem on my TRR8 with its WML or RDS; it works best to either turn it "on" or "off", rather than attempt "momentary on".  Doesn't catch any powder, blast, or fragments.

That being said, I'm quite curious how that tube type RDS right above the cylinder gap will fare, as my RDS on my TRR8 sits a bit higher and doesn't stick in front of the gap as much (though it does sit over top of it).

WMLs on revolvers aren't as bad as they're made out to be, they just happen to be very non traditional.  Except for maybe on this project, whose results remain to be seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s just a mock up of the general idea. I’ll probably play around with the cantilever mount a bit and push the optic further back to better balance the gun.

Plus if my idea to use a M-Lok handguard pans out, the front cylinder gap should be pretty covered
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why would he do that, as opposed to, I dunno, just turning it on when it's dark out and shooting like normal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s far too obvious and logical
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
simple solution, use a pressure switch on the grip
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's getting far too practical for this dumpster fire.

Remember everyone, our goal here is functionally cool, not good
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's getting far too practical for this dumpster fire.

Remember everyone, our goal here is functionally cool, not good
View Quote

Hey, I just find solutions to problems.  What you do with them, thats up to you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Simple in theory, but the hinge in the mechanism would present some interesting challenges to keep the wires from getting bound up under the extractor star or in the hinge itself.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Moon clips for .45 ACP and a crossdraw holster!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

45ACP moon clip conversion is certainly an option as well but for now I just want to start with getting the rail, sight, and light mounted up and working. From there we’ll see what else we can do.

The replacement grips should get here this weekend, then I’ll be taking the gun to my gunsmith early next week to select, cut up, and install the rail/handguard/barrel shroud/however you want to refer to it for this thing
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#40]

New maple floral engraved grips arrived a bit earlier than expected and dropped right in. They’re gorgeous.

While I was messing with the grips anyway I did go ahead and remove the grip adapter piece. There’s no doubt the ergonomics are objectively better with it installed, but I have to admit the aesthetics are a bit better and cleaner without it - and in the case of this project, form is taking a bit of a priority over function. I’ll keep the adapter in my drawer in case I decide to put it back on but for now leaving the grip slim and svelte
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Well that was a headache. I got the optic mount switched around to help move the mass of the red dot further back on the gun. It’ll help balance everything visually and physically once I’ve got a rail and X300U hanging off the barrel.

Gun goes to the gunsmith on Monday!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#42]
You didn't want to go with a smaller red dot?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You didn't want to go with a smaller red dot?
View Quote

Not for this club. The next one I build will get a smaller optic to match a shorter barrel
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/82F6B690-7045-4FC1-AA55-4B194AB51FF4.jpeg.ea535f3a5c31c9074940ddd58f523673.jpeg

Well that was a headache. I got the optic mount switched around to help move the mass of the red dot further back on the gun. It'll help balance everything visually and physically once I've got a rail and X300U hanging off the barrel.

View Quote
Are you just mounting directly to the rib and barrel lug or building a shrowd?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/82F6B690-7045-4FC1-AA55-4B194AB51FF4.jpeg.ea535f3a5c31c9074940ddd58f523673.jpeg

Well that was a headache. I got the optic mount switched around to help move the mass of the red dot further back on the gun. It'll help balance everything visually and physically once I've got a rail and X300U hanging off the barrel.

Current plan is to adapt a M-Lok handguard as a barrel shroud. That’ll provide a flat top rail and additional mounting point for M-Lok rail sections. Something like this:

https://www.unclefudd.com/post/space-force-6-ready-to-roll

The handguard will mount to the flat top rib and be trimmed for clearance for the cylinder and break action
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Snap caps to protect the frame and hammer during dryfire.

Off to see the wizard!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Alright, a little good news/bad news. The bad news is, gunsmith didn’t take possession of the gun today. I need to select and order the handguard myself.

The good news is, gunsmith knows exactly how to do the modifications, that he absolutely can do the modifications, and he’s excited for it - he even explained how it would all be reversible with the only permanent modifications being about three screw holes through the top rib of the barrel. This thing is a confirmed go

I’ll be ordering the handguard tonight and once I get it in will be taking it and the gun back in to get worked up
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#48]
The grips are pretty enough but this build needs something more modern weird like carbon fiber.  Although they would be impossible to find I bet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The grips are pretty enough but this build needs something more modern weird like carbon fiber.  Although they would be impossible to find I bet.
View Quote

I am open to alternatives for the grip, especially once the rail and electronics get mounted up. Something a bit more contemporary might be more fitting - if I can find them.

Probably the closest I’d be able to find to actual carbon fiber would be black pearl:

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Although LS Grips - who made the engraved maple and black pearl Schofield grips - does do truly custom, one-off grips too:

https://www.lsgrips.com/collections/custom-grips-stocks

I’d be willing to bet they could put something a bit futuristic together depending on how pricey I want to get…
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top