User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, I lucked into the Linebaugh.  I just haven't been at the right place at the right time to bag a deer moose with the Linebaugh yet.  The .454 and the 500 Linebaugh must operate at close to the same pressures, which is ludicrous.  I just can't see ever needing (or wanting) more power in a packable package.  It is volume 11.  My usual shooting session with it is 25 rounds or so.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember your thread about picking up that .500 Linebaugh.  I feel pretty confident that is way more handgun than I'll ever need for Virginia deer  It seems almost crazy to me Linebaugh chambers such a powerful cartridge in a relatively lightweight (at least for big bore revovlers) package.

My one experience with the 454 was in one of those gigantic SuperRedhawk frames with a 7.5" barrel.  The revolver almost seemed cartoonish in it's size, and even out of that beast the 454 was a handful.  I've read the .500 LInebaugh is on par with the .454 as far as power, and that seems downright scary.

Yep, I lucked into the Linebaugh.  I just haven't been at the right place at the right time to bag a deer moose with the Linebaugh yet.  The .454 and the 500 Linebaugh must operate at close to the same pressures, which is ludicrous.  I just can't see ever needing (or wanting) more power in a packable package.  It is volume 11.  My usual shooting session with it is 25 rounds or so.  

I fixed that for you
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I fixed that for you
View Quote

I put in for the NH moose lottery but all I win is a maybe next year [sad trombone]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@Hoss622 what did you like/not like about the A frame?
I'm considering them (in 44RM) but real use info has been slim.
I'll take all the data I can find on real world animals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's another endorsement of hot .45's or .454.  I took an old Blackhawk .45, and had it highly customized for my 50th birthday present to myself.  It has an oversize, custom .45 Colt cylinder that can handle up to 40,000 psi.  I shot this year's deer with it, using a 265 grain A-Frame, at 1450 fps.  Next year I'm going to try a 325 grain cast hollowpoint, going a little bit slower.

.44 Magnum is more than adequate, but hot .45 Colt / .454 can go to 11.  And you reload, so it's easy.

https://i.ibb.co/tJcwqZK/7-F4-EEF8-B-D6-CD-4049-9-E48-F2-EC2-D891-AB3.jpg

There wasn't an exit hole, and I like two holes in critters.  It wasn't perfectly broadside, so it had a long way to go to make an exit hole, but maybe a heavier bullet would have.  I gutted the deer in the dark in the middle of a snow storm, so wasn't as careful as I could have been, and didn't find the expanded bullet.  I wish I had.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Expanding bullets in revolver cartridges are a two-edged sword. They definitely create bigger holes and more shock and in my limited experience kill a little more quickly. But the large frontal area of an expanded bullet greatly reduces penetration.
I'd personally rather have more penetration as a safety net, and possibly have a deer run a few yards further, than depend on an expanding bullet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you looked at the Magnum Research BFRs?

They are built like a bank vault and between a Ruger and a Freedom Arms in quality, closer to Freedom Arms. I have one in 500JRH and love it. Mine has their version of the bisley grip and it really helps. I have fired 350gr XTPs at around 1300FPS and it is as comfortable as any heavy load in a 629.

A 460XVR is an AWESOME handgun but it is almost a crew served weapon, I just sold mine to go back to normal sized handguns.

The comments about JHP loads are spot on, Im becoming more cast bullet leaning on my hunting revolvers. My favorite load for the 500JRH is a 440gr WFN over HS6 for around 950-1000 fps. They have killed buffalo with that load and Im sure it will shoot completely through ANY whitetail from ANY direction. haha.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They are built like a bank vault and between a Ruger and a Freedom Arms in quality, closer to Freedom Arms. I have one in 500JRH and love it. Mine has their version of the bisley grip and it really helps. I have fired 350gr XTPs at around 1300FPS and it is as comfortable as any heavy load in a 629.

A 460XVR is an AWESOME handgun but it is almost a crew served weapon, I just sold mine to go back to normal sized handguns.

The comments about JHP loads are spot on, Im becoming more cast bullet leaning on my hunting revolvers. My favorite load for the 500JRH is a 440gr WFN over HS6 for around 950-1000 fps. They have killed buffalo with that load and Im sure it will shoot completely through ANY whitetail from ANY direction. haha.

View Quote

I've read about them, but more gun than I need, and IMHO keeping to a more common caliber like .44 mag or 45 LC will ultimately make it easier (and cheaper) to source components.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've read about them, but more gun than I need, and IMHO keeping to a more common caliber like .44 mag or 45 LC will ultimately make it easier (and cheaper) to source components.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a convertible .45 ACP/Colt Blackhawk?
-There must be more bullet options for loading .45 than .44.
-More factory ammo options if you see something you find interesting (Colt, ACP, .45 Super).
-None of the .44 rifle sizing issues when you inevitably get a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wanted to expand on my previous post a bit more.

One thing you need to decide, particularly given the two revolvers you mentioned in your post is whether or not you want a double or single action. Both will do the job however how they shoot is completely different.

A double action recoils more straight back and tends to whack the palm of your hand a bit harder. This can be mitigated with a good set of rubber grips but it is still coming straight back at you, for the most part.

Single actions tend to roll up at the shot and direct less of the recoil into the palm of your hand. Snip...
View Quote

You can get around the straight back recoil by taking advantage of S&W's 6XX actual frames. S&W 6XX models are round butt and I use round, not the round to square that many use. All my 6XX's up to .44 mag sport round butt grips and give me the rolling action I get off my S/A's. As I'm getting a bit old, anything stronger and I'd have to wear a helmet. The top two will give me a rolling action, .44 and .357. The bottom is only a .22 but it makes for a good warm-up, practice counterpart.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-More factory ammo options if you see something you find interesting (Colt, ACP, .45 Super).
View Quote

One of the mid-frame Ruger Convertibles would be great IMHO. They're light at under 2.5 lbs., but will handle 23k psi loads which are more than enough for any deer that ever walked this planet.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can get around the straight back recoil by taking advantage of S&W's 6XX actual frames. S&W 6XX models are round butt and not round to square that many use. All my 6XX's up to .44 mag sport round butt grips and give me the rolling action I get off my S/A's. As I'm getting a bit old, anything stronger and I'd have to wear a helmet. The top two will give me a rolling action, .44 and .357. The bottom is only a .22 but it makes for a good warm-up, practice counterpart.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60034/Revolvers2_jpg-1850878.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted to expand on my previous post a bit more.

One thing you need to decide, particularly given the two revolvers you mentioned in your post is whether or not you want a double or single action. Both will do the job however how they shoot is completely different.

A double action recoils more straight back and tends to whack the palm of your hand a bit harder. This can be mitigated with a good set of rubber grips but it is still coming straight back at you, for the most part.

Single actions tend to roll up at the shot and direct less of the recoil into the palm of your hand. Snip...

You can get around the straight back recoil by taking advantage of S&W's 6XX actual frames. S&W 6XX models are round butt and not round to square that many use. All my 6XX's up to .44 mag sport round butt grips and give me the rolling action I get off my S/A's. As I'm getting a bit old, anything stronger and I'd have to wear a helmet. The top two will give me a rolling action, .44 and .357. The bottom is only a .22 but it makes for a good warm-up, practice counterpart.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60034/Revolvers2_jpg-1850878.JPG

That's a beautiful collection!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.45 Colt would be fine cartridge.  I've pretty much settled on .44 mag or .45 colt, with consideration for a .357 that I could load hot.

Prices and availability are crazy right now, so I'm keeping my eye out locally for reasonably priced options.  Which may mean I'm waiting for a while
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
good info from ggibbs

I like 44magnum iron sights

i use a chest rig to carry it to my tree stand

I used to kill big midwestern deer with 240gr JHP and a max load of H110,....but i’ve learned that a 240-270gr Keith at 1100-1200 is all you need

5.5” superblackhawk

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Bovine Bash guys say that the A frame is the best performer out of all the handgun bullets they tried. That's on large, heavy boned animals though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a beautiful collection!
View Quote

Thank you. Theres more of them but I don't have pictures of them all. That was a cropped area of most of the stainless ones I have that a friend wanted along with some matching levers. Theres also the blued side that correspond to them like a 6.5" M29 & M27 and 6" M17 along with a Gen 2 Colt SAA and a Colt Arizona centennial and so on. Missing from here is a set of stainless Vaqueros in 45 Colt and a stainless Remington 1858 Army BP. The missing 45's are the same as the 2 .357's but with the longer barrel.

Compared to some, my collection is tiny but I've limited myself to certain ones. Here's the actual image and as some have suggested in the post a matching rifle. There's 4 JM Marlins and a Puma 92, like the revolvers, there's more of those also.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
good info from ggibbs

I like 44magnum iron sights

i use a chest rig to carry it to my tree stand

I used to kill big midwestern deer with 240gr JHP and a max load of H110,....but i’ve learned that a 240-270gr Keith at 1100-1200 is all you need

5.5” superblackhawk

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/2AE88BFB-73C1-44A0-8E36-847650100048_jpe-1851007.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/BFAE86D1-1D74-4A8A-8A7C-5BC575DE323B_jpe-1851011.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/BB97EED3-EAD4-438E-B36C-196D149200F4_jpe-1851012.JPG
View Quote

Your post reeks of Alox bullet lube smoke.

I love the Keith .44 bullet.  Back before I quit casting due to having kids underfoot I remember them averaging 250gr.  The bullets, not the kids.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your post reeks of Alox bullet lube smoke.

I love the Keith .44 bullet.  Back before I quit casting due to having kids underfoot I remember them averaging 250gr.  The bullets, not the kids.
View Quote

alox is nasty

i powder coat them

Attachment Attached File

clear coat

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Purty.

I have to get with the times.  When I was supremely poor back in the day I used to size the bullets and use a liquid Lee product to coat the bullets.  They were H&G 68 200gr SWC .45ACP loads.  I didn't have the $$ for a dedicated bullet sizer/lube applicator.  The good news was nobody wanted to dip into my ammo stash as I would travel to the range with my ammo in a paper bag.  The bullet lube would grease stain the outside of the bag so it looked awful, like bad fish and chips.

I could load .45ACP back then for....well, enough.  I am old and I am having an old guy moment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There wasn't an exit hole, and I like two holes in critters.  It wasn't perfectly broadside, so it had a long way to go to make an exit hole, but maybe a heavier bullet would have.  I gutted the deer in the dark in the middle of a snow storm, so wasn't as careful as I could have been, and didn't find the expanded bullet.  I wish I had.
View Quote

So do I

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Bovine Bash guys say that the A frame is the best performer out of all the handgun bullets they tried. That's on large, heavy boned animals though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm VERY interested in the results they had with the .357 180 gr. A-frame.
But I'll eventually try them in .429 too.
Thanks for that reference.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Who are the "Bovine Bash" guys?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Max Prasac, Jack Huntington, Craig Copeland and some others. They did an annual hunting trip to a ranch outside Hondo and shot Water Buffalo, Watusi and Longhorns with pistols. They were trying to find the ultimate dangerous game handgun cartridge.

Max's show "Big Iron" is on Prime.

Thread

Vid
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Max Prasac, Jack Huntington, Craig Copeland and some others. They did an annual hunting trip to a ranch outside Hondo and shot Water Buffalo, Watusi and Longhorns with pistols. They were trying to find the ultimate dangerous game handgun cartridge.

Thread

Vid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread

Vid

Thanks!  Looks like I have some watching and reading to do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I appreciate all the responses.  Later next week a 6” GP-100 will be arriving at my FFL.

The .357 was lighter of a cartridge than I was originally intending , but I went with it for a couple reasons.

The deer where I hunt are not giants, and the thick areas mean I shoot most of my deer at bow ranges or slightly longer (inside of 50 yards).  At this range, I feel a good bullet with a stout load in a .357 will do the job.

I could actually find this revolver for only slightly expensive prices.  And I already have plenty of components to load .357.  Getting set up with dies, brass, bullets, etc for a totally new caliber was going to be expensive and frustrating.  

I’m going to work up loads snd have fun shooting this revolver all summer, and take it out on sone doe hunts in the fall.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
You are in for a treat.

Congrats!

Finding "the load" for your new hunting rig is a big part of the enjoyment.  So many recipes, so many options.  

You have enough time before the season to find your load and establish the range at which you are comfortable dropping the hammer on game.

Let the venison sizzle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the responses.  Later next week a 6” GP-100 will be arriving at my FFL.

The .357 was lighter of a cartridge than I was originally intending , but I went with it for a couple reasons.

The deer where I hunt are not giants, and the thick areas mean I shoot most of my deer at bow ranges or slightly longer (inside of 50 yards).  At this range, I feel a good bullet with a stout load in a .357 will do the job.

I could actually find this revolver for only slightly expensive prices.  And I already have plenty of components to load .357.  Getting set up with dies, brass, bullets, etc for a totally new caliber was going to be expensive and frustrating.  

I’m going to work up loads snd have fun shooting this revolver all summer, and take it out on sone doe hunts in the fall.
View Quote

If you do your part,  you'll have no trouble getting deer with a 357 mag

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Current configuration.  I function tested the handgun last weekend with iron sights and  PMC 158 JSP.

Attachment Attached File

GP-100 shot great, and with iron sights off a rest I could get a fair number of of my shots in the black of a 25 yd  NRA bullseye, and kept almost all of them on the 8.5x11 paper.

I’m hoping the 2X scope will let me improve my accuracy considerably.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Current configuration.  I function tested the handgun last weekend with iron sights and  PMC 158 JSP.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/D9AF204F-F221-4A83-ACFC-748F29CE29D7_jpe-1946807.JPG

GP-100 shot great, and with iron sights off a rest I could get a fair number of of my shots in the black of a 25 yd  NRA bullseye, and kept almost all of them on the 8.5x11 paper.

View Quote

Very very cool. I think 2x is about right for a handgun scope. I shot a 4x once, and maybe it just needs practice, but I found it difficult to make everything work out right.

6" GP100 is still on my short list of things to get.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Very very cool. I think 2x is about right for a handgun scope. I shot a 4x once, and maybe it just needs practice, but I found it difficult to make everything work out right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/D9AF204F-F221-4A83-ACFC-748F29CE29D7_jpe-1946807.JPG

I definitely think the higher the mag on a pistol type scope the more difficult it is to get your eye aligned inside the eyebox/

Before I made all the purchases shown, I was lucky to have a chance to try out a 6' GP-100 set up almost exactly the same except the owner had mounted a 2-7 handgun scope.

Based on that example, I found 2X and 3X were relatively easy to get behind.  Once I hit 4X I found I needed a very good rest to get the scope aligned and as the mag increased further this became more pronounced.  

The 2X Burris was more affordable than the decent quality variables available on the market, and for my purpose of hitting a deer's vitals around 50  yards, I think it will work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm hoping the 2X scope will let me improve my accuracy considerably.
View Quote
That looks to be quite the squared away setup.  Good stuff, OP.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Not a thing wrong with the .357 magnum or the GP100.  For deer at close range it's more than capable.  You can always find a .45 Colt or .44 magnum down the road if you still want one.  Assuming the aliens haven't taken us out by then of course. ??
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I put in for the NH moose lottery but all I win is a maybe next year [sad trombone]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fixed that for you

If you do and want some help packing it out let me know
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fixed that for you

You’re a good person.  Packing a moose out (what I assume to be) northern NH sounds like an ass kicker.  Cool adventure though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Great info and post.  I currently have the revolver and mount for hunting deer and hogs in TX, but I can't decide on either a 2x Burris scope or red dot.  My revolver is a 7 1/2 inch Blackhawk Bisley in 44 mag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Great info and post.  I currently have the revolver and mount for hunting deer and hogs in TX, but I can't decide on either a 2x Burris scope or red dot.  My revolver is a 7 1/2 inch Blackhawk Bisley in 44 mag.
View Quote

Personally, I’m going to try both.  I’ve had the setup as shown with Burris 2X, out for a limited range session.  Took me 4 shots to get a zero on the scope at 50 yards, one 2 shot group to establish my POI, I made adjustments and then shot another 2 round group where my POI was right at my POA.  

I put a few cylinders though the revolver with the scope and the 2X magnification and crosshairs aiming point really help with accuracy.  I shrunk my groups from iron sights having a group about the size of an 8.5x11 to groups I could cover with my hand.  I think with handloads I can do better.

But the scope is noticeably much slower to get behind and on target  than iron sights.  I’m going to try the same targets and distances with a Promary Arms red dot I have lying around, then move out to 100 yards with 2X scope and red dot.

My hypothesis is at a certain point in distance the scope will be needed to get reasonable hunting accuracy, but at closer distances the dot will be accurate enough and much faster.  

So I’ll try out both over the summer snd if I think I want a red dot to mount for the distances I plan to hunt I’ll buy a dedicated red dot for this gun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top