Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]

So I ultimately went with the K6S 3".  I bought one off the EE, having not even seen a 3" (and it's been at least 4 years since I've even seen a K6S).  It reminds me of a S&W 640 pro, but with a better set of sights, better grip, better trigger, and better capacity.  The brushed SS finish is nice, and the trigger stages about like a good S&W trigger, but with much less stacking.

I've already ordered night sights for it, which is great that those even exist.  However, accessories for this one are much harder to find and buy than they are for S&W, or even the Colt.  I may have bought the last set of night sights on the internet (no joke).  I think the Colt King Cobra might have a serious leg up on that one, as more companies historically have produced aftermarket stuff for those frames, and the Cobra has more presence on the market.

Another concerning thing is just how hard these Guns are to find.  They generally aren't in stock, and if they are they're gone in an instant.  The model I bought was not the one I originally set out to buy, but the other was nigh-unobtainable.  Oh well.

I haven't fired it yet, and have some trepidation about it, but we shall see if the longer barrel and better wraparound grips help.  The rounded edges and unique profile seem to help it melt IWB, though.

I was fairly impressed with a Colt King Cobra I saw at the LGS the other day while picking up a transfer.  Even though they didn't let me dry fire it (folks here get real uppity about turn lines on new revolvers), I might save up to hopefully get a 3" next year.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Good deal. The kimbers are really nice.

Which holster is that?

I just saw some hogue grips made for the k6. They might be nice if those grips are a bit hard.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good deal. The kimbers are really nice.

Which holster is that?

I just saw some hogue grips made for the k6. They might be nice if those grips are a bit hard.
View Quote
The holster came with the gun, and was made by ETW holsters.  It's sufficiently stiff, but the gun still slides in and out like a glove as it was all somewhat broken in by the previous owner.  It's apparently a tuckable design.  Seems well made, I'll give it a try.

Hogues does indeed make Bantam grips for the K6S, to include G10 and soft rubber options. I have a black rubber grip already in stock, as I heard that the factory wooden grips were too narrow and slippery and I hate boot grips; if the hogue unit wasn't a nice "alternate choice" I wouldn't have bought this revolver, because revolver grips are extremely important (especially for hand cannons).

I got lucky that the model I just bought has the giant wraparound factory "comfort grip", which is eternally sold out.  The factory grip is a full 3 finger unit, and is a slightly squishy rubber.  The Hogue grip is more of a 2.5 finger grip that is barely wider, but really locks your hand in position, and has the same sticky rubber feel of every hogue grip ever made.  I'll try to get some pictures up later today if I get the chance.

ETA:  and 03RN, thanks to you I think I might eventually save up for that 2.75" 66, too.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The holster came with the gun, and was made by ETW holsters.  It's sufficiently stiff, but the gun still slides in and out like a glove as it was all somewhat broken in by the previous owner.  It's apparently a tuckable design.  Seems well made, I'll give it a try.

Hogues does indeed make Bantam grips for the K6S, to include G10 and soft rubber options. I have a black rubber grip already in stock, as I heard that the factory wooden grips were too narrow and slippery and I hate boot grips; if the hogue unit wasn't a nice "alternate choice" I wouldn't have bought this revolver, because revolver grips are extremely important (especially for hand cannons).

I got lucky that the model I just bought has the giant wraparound factory "comfort grip", which is eternally sold out.  The factory grip is a full 3 finger unit, and is a slightly squishy rubber.  The Hogue grip is more of a 2.5 finger grip that is barely wider, but really locks your hand in position, and has the same sticky rubber feel of every hogue grip ever made.  I'll try to get some pictures up later today if I get the chance.

ETA:  and 03RN, thanks to you I think I might eventually save up for that 2.75" 66, too.  
View Quote

Lol, cool. The 66 is great but I doubt it does anything better than the k6 besides handle recoil better because of weight.

The factory grips are probably a better bet then glad you got it.

What are you planning on carrying in it for ammo?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol, cool. The 66 is great but I doubt it does anything better than the k6 besides handle recoil better because of weight.

The factory grips are probably a better bet then glad you got it.

What are you planning on carrying in it for ammo?
View Quote
That's encouraging

I have a variety of 125 gr and 158 gr JHP rounds, both in .38 special and .357 flavors.  The two kids that I'm hoping shoot well (and that I can handle) are some 158 grain Buffalo Bore .357 mag short barrel low-flash JHPs (1100 FPS/424 ft/lbs is stamped on the box), or some Speer 135 grain .357 Mag GDSBHP.  

I wish I had had the funds for more of each before every .357 and .38 round on earth became nigh-unobtanium, but I have numerous "backup" loads if needs be.  

And I have some 180 and 200 gr. Hardcast if I'm going to be afield, but figure I should hang onto those to launch out of my 16.5" Marlin 1894 CSBL instead to maximize performance during modern gun season.  (I imagine almost any good Ammo loaf will take down two legged critters out of that one).

Any other suggestions would be most welcome
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Praise of the hogue grips

At least for ammo its get what you can find.

Ideally its speer gold dots (any weight), critical duty or defense. Silvertips, XTPs, golden sabers, or really any hp.

I really like my 140gr xtps over 9gr unique. It expands with the 2.75" and holds together from a 20" rifle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ideally its speer gold dots (any weight), critical duty or defense. Silvertips, XTPs, golden sabers, or really any hp.

I really like my 140gr xtps over 9gr unique. It expands with the 2.75" and holds together from a 20" rifle.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200305_124403_jpg-1527660.JPG
View Quote
Nice!  I actually thought about getting side by side pictures of the comfort core vs. the Hogues earlier today while I was walking the dog.  I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and put them up in this thread for other folks' edification, but your link is pretty sweet.

I might buy the longer firing pin they mention, just to have it on hand.

ETA:  one of my favorite loads used to be 140 XTP loaded 0.1 grain under max with 2400, using a load out of a Speer reloading manual printed in the 70's before lawyers weakened the recipes. It was incredibly accurate out of my 4" L frame and a 16" Rossi I had at the time.  Right now my bench is at a buddy's house, because it won't work well in my apartment
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]

So for anyone who still cares about this thread, I tried to get some side by side pictures of the comfort core grips and the Hogue Bantam grip.  The hogue is shorter and fatter, and locks your grip a bit lower/at an angle more parallel to the bore, but seems to elevate the bore (as opposed to pivot it up).  And the pinky grip that feels okay when the grip is off the gun, feels like it only has half your pinky on it when gripping it on the gun.

I'll give hogue credit, it was a much tighter fit than on most S&Ws, and covers more of the blackstrap.

For now I put the "comfort grip" back on there, it just seems to make the gun "feel" like a bigger gun, while the Hogue makes it "feel" like it should be a snub.

I wish Hogue would come out with a grip that is just sightly longer for a full pinky grip.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish Hogue would come out with a grip that is just sightly longer for a full pinky grip.
View Quote

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat with my Colt KG 3". I would also like a slightly longer full 3 finger grip for it but haven't been able to find any.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat with my Colt KG 3". I would also like a slightly longer full 3 finger grip for it but haven't been able to find any.
View Quote
I actually liked the factory Hogue on the KC 2" I saw at the LGS. If Hogue came out with one of that length, just long enough that I could get my pinky on there well, I would be happy.

As it sits, I will need to shoot the Comfort Core and the Hogue to see if it really makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
For the curious, my 'smith indicated that the Kimber K6S night sights were already pre-drilled.  I know that in most instances they have been advertised as "drilling required", but that was apparently not the case for mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a chance to put some rounds through my 3" K6S.  I wouldn't wish the barrel any shorter (due to shoot ability), or any longer (due to CCW).

158gr .357 is stout, but not unmanageable.  After two cylinders of it, I was ready to shoot .38 specials for a bit, but wanted to return to some .357 loads again before departure.  I did, and they weren't as bad as the first few rounds.

Some nice .38 special loads give it an authoritative feel, without being painful.  .357 has a more noticeable oomph, and a bit more flash.  It was fun to mix and match within the cylinder to see if I was pulling or flinching.

I did note that the 135gr Speer GSHPSB loads shot quite a bit low, so that's a little disappointing.  I'll continue to attempt to find some decent .38+P and .357 short barrel loads to put through it to see if something shoots a bit more to POA=POI.

The factory "comfort core" grips weren't bad, but I think I'll try the hogue grips on my next outing.  Occasionally the grips allowed my hands to sit a bit higher than was comfortable shooting; from my dry run with the hogues a month or so ago, I'm not sure that will be a problem.

That trigger was sweet.  Easy to stage, but also easy enough to just pull straight through on that slick DAO.  .357 was stout but still easily managed with a good back strap-cushioning grip, but it was much more fun to shoot with .38 special.

Makes me remember how much fun it is to shoot revolvers
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice. Glad you're liking it.

Try to find .357 golden saber or the .38+p winchester ranger bonded.

Or reload
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you get a chance try out the S&W 19 Carry Comp or 586 L Comp, both from the Performance Center. I just recently bought the 19 carry comp and it is truly unbelievable and tame recoil with the Power Port ! The double action is soo smooth and single action is like glass. Found mine used but in brand new condition for $800 + tax, could not pass that up. Now to find 357 or 38 special ammo in these crazy times, 2020.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you get a chance try out the S&W 19 Carry Comp or 586 L Comp, both from the Performance Center. I just recently bought the 19 carry comp and it is truly unbelievable and tame recoil with the Power Port ! The double action is soo smooth and single action is like glass. Found mine used but in brand new condition for $800 + tax, could not pass that up. Now to find 357 or 38 special ammo in these crazy times, 2020.
View Quote
I don't doubt that they're both fantastic, and I strongly was considering them before I saw I could get a smaller, lighter, more CCW-friendly package with better sights for the same (It less) money.  For IWB, I'm not a huge fan of hammer spurs, and the DAO hump helps my love handles not get jabbed when I bend over or sit down

But man those are nice choices.  If I had found a 19 carry comp for $800, I woulda been sorely tempted.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice. Glad you're liking it.

Try to find .357 golden saber or the .38+p winchester ranger bonded.

Or reload
View Quote
It has been way too long since I last sat behind my reloading setup.  I still have hundreds of rounds of 148gr DEWC sitting on some old 2400 from the last time I punched out my own Ammo.

People think I touched off a black powder load when I shoot those
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/DA76C5B0-601C-4A13-9053-3093C143F55E-1530555.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/E27988BB-C34D-4DDF-A0D1-FD642FDEBD97-1530554.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/4279C6EA-F05A-4DF1-A2D9-5A0E792ED833-1530553.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/D34870F0-7A13-4191-8661-33F22A8817A3-1530552.jpg

So for anyone who still cares about this thread, I tried to get some side by side pictures of the comfort core grips and the Hogue Bantam grip.  The hogue is shorter and fatter, and locks your grip a bit lower/at an angle more parallel to the bore, but seems to elevate the bore (as opposed to pivot it up).  And the pinky grip that feels okay when the grip is off the gun, feels like it only has half your pinky on it when gripping it on the gun.

I'll give hogue credit, it was a much tighter fit than on most S&Ws, and covers more of the blackstrap.

For now I put the "comfort grip" back on there, it just seems to make the gun "feel" like a bigger gun, while the Hogue makes it "feel" like it should be a snub.

View Quote
As a very minor update (and also to keep this thread out of the archives), my family said that the longer comfort core grip was printing on the Kimber, so I switched it back to the Hogue grip.  I have not heard any complaints regarding printing since then.  Haven't had a chance to shoot with the Hogues installed, I'll report back when I do (hopefully within the next couple of weeks).
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a bump to keep this out of the archives.  I know there have been some recent queries regarding Colt and Kimber revolvers, and this thread might help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/DA76C5B0-601C-4A13-9053-3093C143F55E-1530555.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/E27988BB-C34D-4DDF-A0D1-FD642FDEBD97-1530554.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/4279C6EA-F05A-4DF1-A2D9-5A0E792ED833-1530553.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/D34870F0-7A13-4191-8661-33F22A8817A3-1530552.jpg

View Quote
If anyone's curious, the Comfort Core grip was more comfortable while shooting some peppy .357 Magnum.  Got a chance to put a few rounds through the Kimber while sighting in a new rifle and scope combo, and noticed a bit of difference.  .38 specials are about equal.

The Hogue still conceals better, though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Since 3" Guns are hitting GD again, here's a bump to keep this out of the archives.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Since 3" Guns are hitting GD again, here's a bump to keep this out of the archives.
View Quote

There's a 3" revolver thread in GD? Where?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Quit posting that, you'll make me try to duplicate it

And not quite a 3" thread, but it slowly evolved that way:  here.  3" guns are mentioned on page 2, as are the guns discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll help with the keep-alive.

I'm not a revolver guy, always preferred a semi and mag changes.  I was in the local Sportsman's last week and they had the K6S, 3" with the hidden hammer.  I really liked it.  They were asking just over $1K so with tax and all I'd be looking at $1100 or so.

I can get a 3" or 2" DASA version for $1K but it'll cost me about $40 in gas to drive to Tacoma and pick it up- maybe have to go twice now that WA went retard on the waiting period.  I'm 75% pretty sure I'd go with the 3" barrel.

So I have a tab open in my browser with the DASA K6S sitting there, trying to decide....

PROS:
I want it.
I'd carry it.

CONS:
That's $1K for a REVOLVER  
I have zero .357Mag ammo, and it's very hard to come by and expensive if you can find it.  I have very little .38 either. To counter that con, it's not like a semi that I would need to pump 200 rounds or more to determine reliability.
I don't actually need it.
If I decided I hate it, I doubt I could recover more than $800 - $900 once I've fired it.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll help with the keep-alive.

I'm not a revolver guy, always preferred a semi and mag changes.  I was in the local Sportsman's last week and they had the K6S, 3" with the hidden hammer.  I really liked it.  They were asking just over $1K so with tax and all I'd be looking at $1100 or so.

I can get a 3" or 2" DASA version for $1K but it'll cost me about $40 in gas to drive to Tacoma and pick it up- maybe have to go twice now that WA went retard on the waiting period.  I'm 75% pretty sure I'd go with the 3" barrel.

So I have a tab open in my browser with the DASA K6S sitting there, trying to decide....

PROS:
I want it.
I'd carry it.

CONS:
That's $1K for a REVOLVER  
I have zero .357Mag ammo, and it's very hard to come by and expensive if you can find it.  I have very little .38 either. To counter that con, it's not like a semi that I would need to pump 200 rounds or more to determine reliability.
I don't actually need it.
If I decided I hate it, I doubt I could recover more than $800 - $900 once I've fired it.

Thoughts?
View Quote
Depending on where you carry it, the hammer spur might become uncomfortable.  I carry mine IWB and occasionally AIWB, and am quite glad it doesn't have a hammer jabbing into my flab; I discovered my dislike of such things with a 1911 that cost much more than most of my revolvers.  Also comes in handy if you have a holster that accommodates a "tuckable" IWB carry, as I discovered.

Also, $1000 for a revolver that pushes the edges of what's possible within the medium, really isn't out of line.  I paid more than that for my TRR8, which is also kinda pushing some boundaries.  Or maybe it's just easier for me to rationalize my absurd revolver preferences .

The ability to mix & match loads to your liking is a huge benefit to a revolver, especially these days where ammo supply is inconsistent at best.  Not having to "prove out" reliability via 200 rounds for each different load can also be a money saver, especially these days.  If I absolutely had to carry a factory load .357 or .38 without any prior testing, I would feel more confident in so doing in a revolver than for any semi auto with feed geometry concerns (not that carrying untested ammo is advisable).

That being said, it might be worth putting hands on the DASA before buying, and deciding on your use case.  A huge number of people primarily shoot revolvers in SA, because it's simpler/slower/easier and they can be more accurate, and hammers aren't an issue in OWB carry.  I have a bit more "extra padding" about the middle , and already knew that my usage case would focus on DAO shooting and IWB carry, so the rounded edges of the DAO frame, the (to me) better DA trigger, 6th round of Magnum capacity for the weight (vs. 5 round SP101 for the same weight), and good sights that could easily be replaced with night sights (which I've since done), helped seal the deal on the Kimber for me.  

The fact that it has excellent worksmanship is a huge bonus, and I personally feel like a 3" is a bit more controllable than a 2" when touching off hotter magnums (but you're still gonna know you're firing a magnum instead of a special with those small grips).

YMMV.  And I also debated getting a DASA for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Depending on where you carry it, the hammer spur might become uncomfortable.  I carry mine IWB and occasionally AIWB, and am quite glad it doesn't have a hammer jabbing into my flab; I discovered my dislike of such things with a 1911 that cost much more than most of my revolvers.  Also comes in handy if you have a holster that accommodates a "tuckable" IWB carry, as I discovered.

Also, $1000 for a revolver that pushes the edges of what's possible within the medium, really isn't out of line.  I paid more than that for my TRR8, which is also kinda pushing some boundaries.  Or maybe it's just easier for me to rationalize my absurd revolver preferences .

The ability to mix & match loads to your liking is a huge benefit to a revolver, especially these days where ammo supply is inconsistent at best.  Not having to "prove out" reliability via 200 rounds for each different load can also be a money saver, especially these days.  If I absolutely had to carry a factory load .357 or .38 without any prior testing, I would feel more confident in so doing in a revolver than for any semi auto with feed geometry concerns (not that carrying untested ammo is advisable).

That being said, it might be worth putting hands on the DASA before buying, and deciding on your use case.  A huge number of people primarily shoot revolvers in SA, because it's simpler/slower/easier and they can be more accurate, and hammers aren't an issue in OWB carry.  I have a bit more "extra padding" about the middle , and already knew that my usage case would focus on DAO shooting and IWB carry, so the rounded edges of the DAO frame, the (to me) better DA trigger, 6th round of Magnum capacity for the weight (vs. 5 round SP101 for the same weight), and good sights that could easily be replaced with night sights (which I've since done), helped seal the deal on the Kimber for me.  

The fact that it has excellent worksmanship is a huge bonus, and I personally feel like a 3" is a bit more controllable than a 2" when touching off hotter magnums (but you're still gonna know you're firing a magnum instead of a special with those small grips).

YMMV.  And I also debated getting a DASA for a long time.
View Quote

Well, the only two they offer is the DASA in 3" and 2", so unless I go elsewhere those are my choices.  

I suppose if the hammer is troublesome, I could have it milled off altogether, or even bobbed a bit.  It's stainless so no refinishing would be needed.

I prefer OWB for the comfort.  My gut has shrunk since I decided I was tired of it and decided to get serious about getting rid of it about five months ago.  So now I have several pairs of jeans that have plenty of room IWB, so that option is open.

During my flying period I carried a S&W Model 15 snub on my ankle.  It was heavy but with the gun positioned on the front of my leg over my foot it wasn't as noticeable.  The 3" would not be a good choice for ankle carry as a back-up though.  

Still on the fence but will update if I decide to go ahead and order it.

Now IF they had one in 10mm with moon clips the decision would be easy- "Take my money now!"
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I say go for it. Kimber really nailed it with this one.

I like having a hammer. I carry my m66 aiwb with a semi bobbed hammer and have never noticed it.

The price is steep but I bet you wont remember the price in a few years. Its just a crazy time to buy guns right now. Ammo is hard to find but again, its just the times we live in. Fortunately with a .357 you can also shoot .38s so you can scrounge.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

@03RN
Do you happen to know the velocity of that load?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@03RN
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@03RN

Short answer 1150fps
Long answer
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  I went to a local shop and fondled a few K6Ss a few weeks ago.  Really wanted a pocket gun.  But was just totally unimpressed by the triggers on the K6S.  

Was bored and so I then looked at other revolvers.  Tried the Rock Island m206 and was shocked by how nice the trigger was.  And for almost 1/3 the price of the K6S, I said F it and FOed.  

Put some bright red nail polish on the front sight and lookin forward to testing it
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/RIA-s-little-38-SPL-Colt-clone-not-as-bad-as-Aimless-but-still-rough/5-2452531/
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Short answer 1150fps
Long answer
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#31]
FWIW, I’ve handled both and would go Colt.

The Colt is midway between the J Frame and K Frame S&Ws.

Feels great in the hand.

3” J Frames and D Frames look and handle great, imo.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I've only owned 5 or 6 wheel guns but I can't imagine buying a Kimber over a S&W.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've only owned 5 or 6 wheel guns but I can't imagine buying a Kimber over a S&W.
View Quote
To get a 3" 6 round .357 mag K frame, the new production model 66 is quite a bit heavier than the Kimber, and the J-frames give up a round and aren't as well de-horned.  Neither S&W is dovetailed for easy 3 dot or night sight install.

But my Kimber also isn't my only revolver.  If I was going to only have one, the 2.75" M66 would be a true "do-all" capable item, at the expense of some weight and size vs. the much easier to CCW Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To get a 3" 6 round .357 mag K frame, the new production model 66 is quite a bit heavier than the Kimber, and the J-frames give up a round and aren't as well de-horned.  Neither S&W is dovetailed for easy 3 dot or night sight install.

But my Kimber also isn't my only revolver.  If I was going to only have one, the 2.75" M66 would be a true "do-all" capable item, at the expense of some weight and size vs. the much easier to CCW Kimber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Both of those are actually easier to install than 90% of all semiauto sights Ive ever changed.

Just saying
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#35]
The AAFES website will let you put one in the cart but it won't let you check out.  

I called the gun counter at the BX and he ordered the 3" DA/SA for me.  Said it could be in later this week.

He's ballparking $800 out the door.  

I'm accepting ammo donations.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Screenshot_2021-05-17-16-48-58_png-1945959.JPG

Both of those are actually easier to install than 90% of all semiauto sights Ive ever changed.

Just saying
View Quote

Stop costing me money!  First holster suggestions, and then these!  Although I might buy some for my S&W 620 (in my avatar).
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

@03RN, What grips are those?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Stop costing me money!  First holster suggestions, and then these!  Although I might buy some for my S&W 620 (in my avatar).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Screenshot_2021-05-17-16-48-58_png-1945959.JPG

Just saying

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ahrends
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread got me.

I went and looked at the Colt KC 3” and a K6s DASA 3”… shame they were both at Bass Pro so actually feeling the action or looking at cylinder gap / shake / etc was out of the question due to stupid “trigger lock stays on, no you can’t return it 10 minutes after you buy”.

I can see either coming my way when I can find one at a non-tarded dealer.

I did however find a 66-8 2.75” for a good price… should arrive before the weekend at a dealer that will likely give it a solid once over before he even calls to let me know it’s in…. And he’ll let me inspect thoroughly before transfer.

Already ordered a JM AIWB for the 66… looking for a plug and grips now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine finally came home today.

During the long wait I've been gathering some ammo and reloading supplies.  I think most of my training and practice ammo will be my reloads.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#42]
J frames and such like the Kimber can be accurate guns if you get good with them.  They are smaller so you have to get used to the grip, but they're lighter to hold and are more an extension of your arms than say a big L or N frame.

I bought my S&W 640 25 years ago, and my roommate's dad gave me a big box of all his rounds he'd saved up over the years.  Must have been 1000 .38 Specials with lead bullets - probably reloads.  They were filthy dirty and I needed to use Lava soap on my hands after shooting, but it was an about inexhaustible supply of ammo.  By the time I worked to the bottom of that box, I was really good with the 640.  

Fire off lots of low powered .38 Special rounds till you're nails good with it, then mix in some .357's.  I like the Remington Golden Saber 125's in .357 for self defense.  More power than any .38 Special or 9mm, but not too much recoil for a smaller gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I drove up to the mountains today to shoot the K6S for the first time, and see if I fixed the Detonics.

First impressions of the K6S are, wow, what a great shooting gun!  

I started with some tame 38 Specials that were given to me from a gun shop- they came in with a used gun they bought and they aren't allowed to sell them as they're commercial reloads.  50 rounds of those went very quickly.  

Next up were my reloads; 130gr bullet on top of 7gr of HS-6.  These were noticeably hotter but still nothing to flinch about.  I also ran few Buffalo Bore 357 Magnums- these are their "19G/20 - Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash 357 Magnum Pistol and Handgun Ammo" so not powerhouse 357s but still gets your attention.

All in all 150 rounds of 38 and 20 rounds of Buffalo Bore. I had to take some breaks because the gun was so hot the cylinder was burning my hand.  The stocks grips were replaced with the Hogues shown in the picture, but before I shot it so I can't say what the wood factory grips feel like.  They were too small- the Hogues are perfect.  The gun shot to POA with everything, but I still need to play with the gun some more to narrow down a 'best' load for it.

The Combat Master seems like it's ejecting better.  It only liked the one factory magazine I have and the Wilson 47D.  It wasn't 100% with the aftermarket Combat Master magazines or the 8-round Wilson.  It's a handful, but easily manageable.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#44]
The Hogues tamed my 101 9x19mm right down to fun to shoot, but still fits in the jacket pocket.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#45]
The adjustable sights were back in stock so I ordered a set.  The rear has a set-screw to keep it in the dovetail so I figured that would be easy enough.  The front has a roll pin, and the new sight needs to be drilled.  Wasn't really sure how I was going to hold that for the drill press though.

I started on the rear by pulling the set-screw all the way out, then tried to drift it out with a brass punch.  It wouldn't budge.  So I decided to fall back and regroup, give the front a go.  I don't have a roll pin punch that small.

So, it was on to plan B - call the gunsmith.  

Took the whole mess over to him and dropped it off after work last night.  He said he'd have it done by lunch so I could come back after work today to get it.  I called at lunch and he says, "I ran into a little problem..."  

Seems the rear wouldn't budge for him either, and he wanted the go-ahead to destroy the rear sight to get it out.  I told him to go ahead.  

I called after work and he said it was done.  He had to saw the rear sight down close to the gun and let it collapse on itself, and the new one needed fitting.  

But it's done.  I'm pleased with the project overall, just the expense was a bit much.  The front is a fiber rod and the rear is adjustable.  I imagine it might bother someone that plans to thumb the hammer back often, but it still works for that too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  The adjustable sights were back in stock so I ordered a set.  The rear has a set-screw to keep it in the dovetail so I figured that would be easy enough.  The front has a roll pin, and the new sight needs to be drilled.  Wasn't really sure how I was going to hold that for the drill press though.

I started on the rear by pulling the set-screw all the way out, then tried to drift it out with a brass punch.  It wouldn't budge.  So I decided to fall back and regroup, give the front a go.  I don't have a roll pin punch that small.

Took the whole mess over to him and dropped it off after work last night.  He said he'd have it done by lunch so I could come back after work today to get it.  I called at lunch and he says, "I ran into a little problem..."  

Seems the rear wouldn't budge for him either, and he wanted the go-ahead to destroy the rear sight to get it out.  I told him to go ahead.  

I called after work and he said it was done.  He had to saw the rear sight down close to the gun and let it collapse on itself, and the new one needed fitting.  

But it's done.  I'm pleased with the project overall, just the expense was a bit much.  The front is a fiber rod and the rear is adjustable.  I imagine it might bother someone that plans to thumb the safety back often, but it still works for that too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/K6Sg_jpg-2065110.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/K6Sh_jpg-2065111.JPG
View Quote

Looks nice.  Tell us about this safety.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The adjustable sights were back in stock so I ordered a set.  The rear has a set-screw to keep it in the dovetail so I figured that would be easy enough.  The front has a roll pin, and the new sight needs to be drilled.  Wasn't really sure how I was going to hold that for the drill press though.

But it's done.  I'm pleased with the project overall, just the expense was a bit much.  The front is a fiber rod and the rear is adjustable.  I imagine it might bother someone that plans to thumb the safety back often, but it still works for that too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/K6Sg_jpg-2065110.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/K6Sh_jpg-2065111.JPG

lol, wow, where was my brain?  

...thumb the hammer back...

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Fwiw the front sight is not drilled while in the gun. It's marked, then drilled.

What made you go with adjustable sights?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fwiw the front sight is not drilled while in the gun. It's marked, then drilled.

What made you go with adjustable sights?
View Quote

I want to be able to set the POI where I want it for the ammo I'll be carrying.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I have been a wheel gun guy my entire life, started reading my dads Elmer Keith books when I was a kid.  I prefer S&W revolvers over Colt revolvers for the most part.  For hot loads I of course prefer Ruger revolvers.  I wouldnt buy a S&W today with a lock.  0 interest in them.  While the new Colt's are nice they just do not "do it" for me compared to the older guns I can find for similar money.

I think Kimber knocked it out of the park with their new revolvers.  I love how they recessed the cylinders like the old S&W's.  I think thee DA/SA 3" is sexy.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top