Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
@bigmat

I agree. The K Frame is just right. I bought two of them.

I got a Garrett Industries holster for mine. It is kydex lined with leather. Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigMat:
This threads been haunting me

got my hands on a 66-8 finally and have been carrying it for about 2 weeks.

These are terrific.  I think Smith nailed it with this model.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179834/01DDE148-D987-4C89-B3B9-B5413ADAC227_jpe-1423191.JPG
View Quote

Nice.  I've got an old 2 1/2" 686 that I used to carry on occasion but the K frames just carry better in my opinion.  I'd like to try one of those Model 66s.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have SP101 3", w/ a grip that has a place for pinky finger, but not some extra large grip.  If I lay it on top of a glock 34 so the muzzles are the same and the bores parallel, the butt of the SP101 and the base plate of the glock line up near perfectly.    I also note that the bore axis is the same on both guns fwiw.

However, I carry the SP101 in warmer weather b/c its easier to conceal than a glock 19 even b/c the area behind the barrel to the rear sights in the auto is bulky and sticks out above the belt line and peeks out past my hip bone, where as the frame of the revolvers missing that big corner does not.  This may matter less for like AIBW carry or something, but the extra bulk of an auto in the rear sight area makes a big difference for carrying under a shirt behind the hip.  

So, for refernce a 2.5" SP101 w/ like the shorter factory grip will be about the same foot print in terms of the muzzle and the butt as a glock 17.   A 3 in or more will be larger in these respects but still easier to conceal behind the hip.  A 4" revolver for me would be a bit much for good concealability IWB at leaset while seated as when I sit the gun would be pushed up from the muzzle unless it was about an inch higher from the belt line that it shoudl be for max conceal-ability.  

Anway, the SP101 is just for reference.  It fails in that it has no rear sight, and 5 shots.  You could get the 6 shot 327 fed mag w/ adjustabel rear sight, though I heard someone say the SP101 adj sights are not good, I dunno.  But the chambering is good, great energy/recoil ratio w/ good reliable expansion & penetration due to its lighter weight faster and smaller diameter projo.  the 85 grain Hydrashok load is pretty light recoil w/ good terminal performance and energy levels.  SP101 3" is 28 oz FYI.

Of what you listed, the King Cobra and the Kimber is the best.  The 3" king cobra is nice, but no rear sight.  It is 30 oz IIRC. The King Cobra 4" target looks really nice, but it is 36 oz empty the barrel may be a bit long, but it comes w/ adjustable sights.  The Cobra has small cylinder for 6 shot like old detectives or the Kimbers, but the frame is pretty beefy and in bulk around the cylinder it is similar to the K frame despite the Cobra's smaller cylinder relitve to the K.  I really want that 4" target, thou it is a bit too big and heavy to carry for me to be honest. but man it looks nice and is a great execution of a smallish frame revolver.   all the king cobras use the oly style detective grip size/shape, that is short for two fingers, so you have options to have a stubby grip, or one w/ more rake etc than you do w/ a K/L frame.

The Kimbers all come w/ really nice sights.  Similar cylinder size to the old and new cobras and king cobras, but the frame is smaller thna the king cobra to where the gun is barely bigger than a J frame, really.  The 3" w/ its nice factory novak or whatever sights looks really nice.  Weight is 25 oz.  Seems like the ideal carry gun, either the 3 or 4" for the belt depending on your body and if IWB or OWB, and the 2" models for pocket carry.  It is full tange style, but the tang is narrower than J frame so there is a bit more room for grip angle options, but basicually same length as J frame grip frame.  

K frames are noticably bigger than these or J frame or SP101 in terms of Cylinder diameter, frame height, grip frame length. L frames are even more diameter and frame height.  N frames even more, I mean people might be asking you if you have a colostomy bag.  

I would also note that the moon clips for auto chamberings are thicker and stiffer than many 357 moon clips, fwiw.  To me, a kimber in 9mm made to take moon clips would be ideal for all season carry, the only draw back that this is not IDPA legal.

@OSU_Buckeyes
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Yes, no, no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Does the new 66 2.75", Colt King Cobra 3", and/or Kimber K6S 3" come with full length ejector rods?

Yes, no, no.

Yeah, this is gay, what kimber and colt did
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

I can't speak to the Colt and Kimber but the new 2 3/4" Model 66-8 does have a full length ejector rod.  But there is a "but" involved, a couple of them actually.  

Traditionally the K frames have a locking system with a pin and spring locking the ejector rod at the barrel end of the rod as well as at the frame end of the ejector rod.  To accommodate the locking system, you need enough length in the barrel to allow room for the forward pin and spring in front of the ejector rod.  In the 66-8, there is no lock at the barrel end of the ejector rod. Instead it uses a ball detent mounted on the frame that locks the crane. It's similar to the crane to frame locking system that Ruger uses on the GP100 and SP101, but to be honest I like the Ruger approach a lot better. 

On the plus side the Model 66-8 does have a thicker forcing cone and the full length ejector rod.  However, on the negative side the sights are too small, the grip is too large and sticky, the trigger pull is up around 15 pounds, and based on what I've seen, quality isn't what it used to be.

I'd take an older 2 1/2" Model 66 with it's short ejector rod before I'd take a new Model 66-8.  The long ejector rod is a potential advantage in a reload, but a reload is rarely needed in a self defense shoot, while the small sights are a potential handicap for every shot you fire.
View Quote

@DakotaFAL

does this new model 66 have standard K frame grip frame and leaf spring?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@bigmat

I got a Garrett Industries holster for mine. It is kydex lined with leather. Very nice!
View Quote

Thanks, that looks perfect.  I've been using modified  Bianchi that I'm OK with but a holster and less sticky grips are on my shopping list
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]

thanks

Its basically your doing that I own this

Smith and Wesson should be paying you
View All Quotes
This threads been haunting me

got my hands on a 66-8 finally and have been carrying it for about 2 weeks.

These are terrific.  I think Smith nailed it with this model.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179834/01DDE148-D987-4C89-B3B9-B5413ADAC227_jpe-1423191.JPG

Nice

thanks

Its basically your doing that I own this

Smith and Wesson should be paying you

Lol. Glad its working out then.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CTomas:

@DakotaFAL

does this new model 66 have standard K frame grip frame and leaf spring?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTomas:
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

I can't speak to the Colt and Kimber but the new 2 3/4" Model 66-8 does have a full length ejector rod.  But there is a "but" involved, a couple of them actually.  

Traditionally the K frames have a locking system with a pin and spring locking the ejector rod at the barrel end of the rod as well as at the frame end of the ejector rod.  To accommodate the locking system, you need enough length in the barrel to allow room for the forward pin and spring in front of the ejector rod.  In the 66-8, there is no lock at the barrel end of the ejector rod. Instead it uses a ball detent mounted on the frame that locks the crane. It's similar to the crane to frame locking system that Ruger uses on the GP100 and SP101, but to be honest I like the Ruger approach a lot better. 

On the plus side the Model 66-8 does have a thicker forcing cone and the full length ejector rod.  However, on the negative side the sights are too small, the grip is too large and sticky, the trigger pull is up around 15 pounds, and based on what I've seen, quality isn't what it used to be.

I'd take an older 2 1/2" Model 66 with it's short ejector rod before I'd take a new Model 66-8.  The long ejector rod is a potential advantage in a reload, but a reload is rarely needed in a self defense shoot, while the small sights are a potential handicap for every shot you fire.

@DakotaFAL

does this new model 66 have standard K frame grip frame and leaf spring?

Yes
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a shoulder holster when i want to carry the 66 as a bug or if im bending over a lot.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks, that looks perfect.  I've been using modified  Bianchi that I'm OK with but a holster and less sticky grips are on my shopping list
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:
@bigmat

I agree. The K Frame is just right. I bought two of them. 

I got a Garrett Industries holster for mine. It is kydex lined with leather. Very nice!

Thanks, that looks perfect.  I've been using modified  Bianchi that I'm OK with but a holster and less sticky grips are on my shopping list

The ee is a good place for grips, or ebay.

If you want aiwb try jmcustom. The new monoblock clips are sooo slim.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By F224:
The best reason to carry a revolver is contact shots. It will keep on working when you are fighting someone on top of you, and not jam. 

One of my two daily carry guns is a S&W M337 with a bobbed hammer, if I'm not carrying an RMR equipped G19, then this 3" Colt Agent with a XS Sights BigDot is my other gun. It weighs 16oz. Prior to retiring as a corporate pilot, this was the gun I kept in my flight bag because it was legal everywhere in the USA. 

https://i.imgur.com/69tZlS8.jpg
View Quote

nice
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Just my opinion and I'm not special

Ive carried and shot semi's and revolvers for many years now and here's my arrhythmic 

I have had failures in both styles, but FAR and away the worst likelihood of failures is in small semi-autos.  The most reliable guns I own/owned have been service size semi's.

I spend a lot of my time in bear/lion country.  Meaningful percentage.

I spend the rest of my time in...less permissive environments (coffee shops, restaurants, museums, etc.).

In order of ease of carry and hiding for my carry style/preferences  (not printing: see above)  - 1.) J frame analogs 2.) tiny semis 3.) K frame analogs (mid size revolvers) 4.) 1911 5.) Wonder 9s

Unsurprisingly- I shoots larger guns better

So, when I consider that list and my likely threats, ability to hide, ability to hit, and it's ability to meaningfully kill a target- a round butt K frame analog is the best balance for me.

Can I run through a match better with a semi?  Yes, I will beat myself in a match with an M9 over any wheel gun.  But if I consider my most likely threats, 6 rounds of 357 manages very well. 

In that light- I'd say a Smith and Wesson model 66 combat magnum or 19 Carry Comp would be my first choices.  I'm currently shopping for a 19 ... again

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179834/59286D4F-287C-41AD-B348-5DD291272D57_jpe-1297439.JPG

*I think of light colored grips as insurance - khaki pant or undershirt colored is camouflage

View Quote

yes, light grips hide better.

nice gun adn nice grip!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CTomas:  I would also note that the moon clips for auto chamberings are thicker and stiffer than many 357 moon clips, fwiw.
View Quote

I just loaded up my 9x19mm 5 shot moonclips for the SP 101 and was surprised it was so easy.  I was afraid I would need a tool, pliers, or something.  Just snapped right in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I just loaded up my 9x19mm 5 shot moonclips for the SP 101 and was surprised it was so easy.  I was afraid I would need a tool, pliers, or something.  Just snapped right in.
View Quote

38 moon clips are like .020 to .025.  IIRC I think 9mm or 45 moon clips are more like .035, maybe more, or they could be thinner to make it easier to load without a moon tool.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Steel moon clips are pretty much all the same for 45.
For 9mm or 38 they can vary a good bit because the case dimensions vary a good bit from one manufacturer to the next.

https://www.revolversupply.com/moon-clips/
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@bigmat

View Quote

Got to thank you for the recommendation

I have a 3" LCRx in 357 that I really like but the limited holster options threw a giant wrench in the works for such a great small/mid sized revolver

The Garrett Holster is great, very comfortable and hides well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Got to thank you for the recommendation

I have a 3" LCRx in 357 that I really like but the limited holster options threw a giant wrench in the works for such a great small/mid sized revolver

The Garrett Holster is great, very comfortable and hides well.
View Quote

With Kydex there is no need for limited holster options.  This is the 21st Century.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I would have my eyes out for a Smith model 10 for .38 or model 19 for .357.  I would be looking at the used market as the new Smiths don't even give me the urge to use the toilet.  Moth models can be had with a 2 1/2 inch barrel but I would take a 4 inch gun in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Smith L-frames with shorter barrels are concealable, but I wouldn't call them "easily concealable". I carried a 2 1/2" 686 for years, and being just shy of 38 oz. dry, you always knew it was there. Had to give it a nudge/tug on the belt occasionally.  Maybe a K-frame (19, 66) would gain you a little advantage in this regard. We are truly spoiled by polymer these days.

BTW, as you are certainly aware, S&W revolvers will not disappoint.
View Quote

I carry my 686+ concealed OWB sometimes. With the 6 1/2" barrel.

Right cover shirt, it actually disappears, the bottom of the holster sticks out, but that's it. I do work at a gun shop, so being armed is expected, but everyone is always surprised how well that big ass gun conceals.

For true CCW, I really like my model 10.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Smith 442

The others may be fine too.

442 is as good as it ever will be.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Running that revolver like a BOSS!! Good work!
View Quote

Yes - !
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Different grips look better and manage recoil with full power loads almost as good as the pachymers
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
My buddy and i were shooting together the other day. He bought a 3" PC M19 comp and then a jmcustom aiwb holster after seeing mine about a year and a half ago. We were both working at a range/shop together and shot a lot together. He's still working at a shop but we haven't been able to shoot much together since i became a nurse.

He's also a Marine and between the 2 of us with our nearly identical setups i would feel pretty confident on taking on any threat.

Both of us were just drawing and shooting. Doubles, triples, doing reloads from the belt ringing steel out to 30 yards. It was a beautiful sight

Nobody or no guns id rather ride the river with.

We both pulled out an auto. Him a flux braced g34 with rmr and me my m9a1 compact. Just a couple mags but neither spent much time with them.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top