Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2017 5:23:38 PM EDT
I picked this up a couple days ago for $100 and it’s mechanically fine, but the finish needs some work. I’m thinking that parkerizing might be best since it will hide some of the pitting scars however I’m open to other suggestions. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a 5 screw, don't F it up with parkerizing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean the rust off and use as is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I’d clean up the rust using oil, CLP or Kroil and a copper penny.  Rub lightly and go slow, if the final finish is really bad and the gun has little value I might touch up the blue.  Clean the area to be touched up with rubbing alcohol.   Dry the surface then warm the metal with a hair dryer then apply cold blue.  This has worked pretty well for me.  Follow the instuctions on the bottle of blue, I’ve used Birchwood Casey  brand of cold blue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’d clean up the rust using oil, CLP or Kroil and a copper penny.  Rub lightly and go slow, if the final finish is really bad and the gun has little value I might touch up the blue.  Clean the area to be touched up with rubbing alcohol.   Dry the surface then warm the metal with a hair dryer then apply cold blue.  This has worked pretty well for me.  Follow the instuctions on the bottle of blue, I’ve used Birchwood Casey  brand of cold blue.
View Quote
THIS GUY RIGHT HERE GETS IT!!!! Please do not Parkerize that pistol. Follow his instructions, clean it up and the shoot it a lot!.

Or send it to me , I'll give ya a good price.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Clean it and use it. It’s perfect the way it is. Good honest wear/patina looks great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would have said this even before counting the screws.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. You have a classic old S&W revolver that is perfect as a shooter. Enough finish issues to not worry about anything else happening to it but good mechanicals. Instead of refinishing it, sell it to someone who wants a nice shooter and double your money. Apply that to a better looking gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Don’t  parkerize it it’s not a victory model
Clean it
Shoot it
It has
What’s the word
Character
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]
OP I will be the odd one here. I think it's perfect for a project.
Years ago I had a twin of your gun (same vintage). I chose to make it my own with a little customizing.
Chopped barrel to 3", fabricated a new front sight from the old, silver soldered it on.
Converted it to a round butt.
Did a little action job.
Cleaned it up as best I could and threw some cold blue on it.
It's a sweet little piece.

Only cost was a set of grips.

ETA......since photobucket dropped the ball can't post pics, but if someone will host I can email them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, ignore the guys that only rub their S&W revolvers with diaper and shoot them with bunny far loads in the both of an air conditioned indoor range.  

I say do what you want with it.  Yes its a five screw and pin barrel but its finish is toast.  Its not like S&W didn't make heaps of those revolvers.  If you like parkerizing go for it.

If it was me I would clean it up, buff out as much of the rust and pitting as I could, glass bead blast it then have it Cerakote in a two tone.  Frame/barrel one color, cylinder another color.  I would also pitch those skinny wood grips and get some good rubber grips that fit your hand so you can shoot it comfortably.  Wood is for show, rubber is for shooting. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#13]
No collector value in its present condition.  Do whatever you want with it.  Not a rare gun by any means.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I would just clean and shoot.  But I also agree it's your gun and you do what you want with it.   But man I really don't like the trend of cerakoting.  Blaaaaaaaa.  I'd rather look at a gun that had a crappy finish than cerakoting on a revolver.  Now on a Glock slide, it's at home.  But so many other guns just look odd to me.

That's my 3 cents worth that you paid for free.  

I say find out how well she shoots first and foremost, after cleaning it up.  I think it's a purdy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think there is a ton of collector value there given current condition. If its a good shooter I would send it to S&W to have it re-blued. For less than $300 they will make it look like it just came out of the factory. Would look a lot nicer than a park job.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I look at that gun as a beater/range/field gun.
If it were mine I'd clean and oil it up, shoot the hell
out of it!
It's your gun. If you decide to make it a project gun
by refinishing it, I hope you post pictures when it's finished.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn. How come I cant fine a hundred buck S&W revolver ???

Great find OP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I’ll just clean it up for now and see how she shoots. I’ve got too many projects right now, like getting adjustable sights on my 31
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#20]
honest wear and amazingly no buggered screws and its fine as is.  grab a pre 82 copper penny and knock off the few rust spots and oil it all over.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Good decision gunz, just clean it up gently and shoot it....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Bluing project perhaps, but only for looks.  As others have mentioned, you're not adding to the value.

Cold blue kits are never going to replicate either the bright or satin blue S&W did so well up until the early 80s or so.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Bead blast and hard chrome...collector value = > than shit..see Mahovsky Metalife and have an heirloom SHOOTER....to pass down...u know marksmanship is more important than a confisicated collecible
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I have sent several old Smiths back to Smith & Wesson to be refinished. They charge $250 to replace springs and things that are worn out and do a beautiful blue back to its original finish. I just got a S&W Model 58 that had almost all the blue rubbed off and was still tight. It came back in 5 weeks and it now looks like it came out of the box in 1968. Afraid to shoot it because it looks so nice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm lucky enough to have inherited 2 of them.  Both build around the 1930's era.  #1 belonged to my dad, it's got a worn nickel plated finish with a 4 inch barrel he carried as a sheriff's deputy back in 1938.  #2 belonged to a great uncle and has a 6 inch barrel with a patina blued finish.  Both are great shooters and have a killer smooth trigger that comes with age/use.  They are both running Tyler T grips with the original diamond checkered grips.  Since these are family heirlooms, they will keep their original finish.

That being said, it's your gun.  Make it yours as you see fit and have a blast shooting it.  Since it does have some age to it, be sure to have your gunsmith check it out.  My 6 inch had a worn hand and the cylinder was out of time.

And I am severely jealous you found it for $100.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:And I am severely jealous you found it for $100.
View Quote
The diamond magnas are worth at least $75 all by themselves.  I see ones in very good shape sell on eBay for $100 or more.  So $100 is a giveaway price.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Clean and shoot . Great gun for teaching kids to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top